SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kec1224

Ranch addition with "Massive Garage" as our designer says!

kec1224
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have an 1800 sf ranch on a great piece of property in a great location (so buying something else is not up for consideration). We need more living space, need to increase the accessibility of our house for my sibling who is wheelchair-bound (and could one day be living with us), and need a garage that can park two mid-roof Transits (if sibling ever does come live with us).

After years of thought, we intend to convert our current garage into living space and build a new (massive) garage attached to that (we have lots of bikes and tools and such in addition to the Transits).

We are very happy with the interior design, but are looking for ideas to add curb appeal (which our house doesn't have much of to start with). We did significant landscaping five years ago (see middle photo) which helped, but we have lots of plain roof even without the new addition. We have no near neighbors, but sit on top of a hill, so as you drive up, the roof really seems overwhelming. Because of the curve of our driveway, the new garage won't be in view from the road, but will be about halfway up the driveway.

The third image is what we're working on with the designer to draw attention to the front door (and we also need to expand the porch for accessibility for the wheelchair, which will also happen through the garage, but we'd like two access points in case of emergency and just for longterm flexibility).

Does anyone have any other ideas for how to emphasize the front door/de-emphasize the roofs and new garage size? I'm not unhappy with this, but I've seen this group come up with some amazing ideas so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask! Thank you for any time and thought you put into it!

Comments (16)