SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_466985

Can I "split" tall street-facing windows for privacy? Is this a thing?

J
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My main living area is the 2nd floor, which has multiple large/tall casement windows in each room. With the curtains open, from the street, you can see directly through the entire main living space through to the large windows that look out over the backyard. My current setup takes care of the privacy issue, but I also cannot see out of any of the windows.

I am currently trying to set up a yoga/workout space in one of the spare rooms (above the garage). However, I MUST have a view to the outdoors while practicing, but somehow be shielded from passerby while upside down in compromising yoga positions, so that's something I've been taking into consideration as well.

I came across this window blinds photo today, and it kinda hit me all at once - this may be a perfect solution for my needs (letting in natural light and giving some view to the outdoors, whilst maintaining privacy from the street).

Can I do this with my windows (design-wise)? Or would this look dumb from the outside (or inside)? I can certainly fabricate inset frames at the tops of my existing windows, and then use window treatments for the space below for privacy.

I can't tell if this was a stroke of brilliance on my part, or if there's some obvious glaring issue I'm missing.

Thoughts (or alternate suggestions)? I've considered window film as well, but thought this might be a more elegant solution (and allow me to practice in the evenings when light is low, too).

EDIT: Googling has finally led me to discover window muntins, which are easily DIY-able! So I answered part of my question - yes, this is a thing. I'm still not sure if it would look terrible or okay, though.

My home:

Quick Paint job to visualize:

Inspiration photo:

Another inspiration photo showing a similar "split" at the top of the window (although this one doesn't have window treatments on the bottom portion):

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County