SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Need some memorial garden help.

beesneeds
3 years ago

We lost our 18 year old sweet boy Marbles right before Christmas, and buried him along with his other cat companions that have passed- a boy and a girl.

The boy and girl were a bit of a pair, and when I buried them I chose bearded irises in white and blue for her and black for him. Suits them well.

So now it's time to really clean up the older graves and reset irises, and choose some new perennials or bulbs for Marbles.

Marbles has a littermate, Ocelot, and she is still with us, though showing the signs of the decline. With her passing, she will be laid to rest with her three companions in life, and then I will complete the garden. It's a basic four square of graves, with each flower being mostly kept over the cat it represents. Some mixing is good, but I don't want to choose bad companions for irises that are already in use.

So.. Marbles was sweet and gentle, and beloved of this bee for many years. I want to plant in a couple beloved by bees perennials, bulbs... that can companion with irises. I'm leaning to some gayfeather and lupines because they suit him. He was a tall slender prince. Not sure if they will play with with or choke out the irises. I'm more concerned with growth habits here than anything else.

The site is in a full sun location year round. Sandy loam down around 2 feet before it starts getting more clay/silt pack and gets rocks in it. Good drainage, and on a shallow slope. Stays wet enough that willow shoots will grow there, and dry enough that the bearded irises like it there.

And also... I need good recommendations for online nurseries for gayfeather and lupines of already grown out colors please. It's been a long time since I've needed to look for online nurseries for this kind of thing.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (3)