SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keyaskosmos

Air pruning pot for rose bands

I am zone 5 (Indiana) with clay soil, and have ordered 11 rose bands (from Burlington Nursery and Long Ago roses) for spring 2021. However it seems that these need to be potted up first to in 1 or 2 gallon pots before planting them in ground. Given the short growing season here, I want to give them the best pot care and be able to plant them by September. I will be using MG Garden soil for Flowers ( MG soil for Roses is not available locally) in the pot - I already bought this as I did not want a peat moss based potting media - I think the roots will be more ready for my clay with this. Planning on adding some gypsum and alfalfa pellets to this a little in advance of receiving the bands.

I was looking into smart pots and air pots. Do you think they will help in getting the band ready for in ground transplants? Air pots are expensive though but willing to splurge in a few if they provide significant benefit.

One particular concern I have with root pruning pots - the concept seems to be that lateral root growth is encouraged by pruning of the tap root. Assuming own-roots have tap roots, will air pruning not harm the long term viability of the rose bush in my cold zone? Or do the tap roots develop later? E-how says "Roses grow on fibrous root systems as do other members of the Rosaceae family, including strawberries and blackberries, as well as apple, almond and peach trees." However, other online sources and also other posts on this forum mention tap roots.

Thank you for reading and providing any insights.

Comments (7)