SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cra4

IT’S IN THE DETAILS!!

cra4
3 years ago

I need help finishing our dining room!
Here are 3 different photos to give you an idea of the room. It’s a large room with high ceilings. We have to hang the mirrors on the wall to the left of the buffet (1st photo).
Would like a canvas above the buffet. I’ll post the one I like in the comments..
we also need a mirror (or something) above the console table (that will be delivered Monday) in the entryway.
What should I put on the table? A colorful flower arrangement?
What should I put on the little table between the 2 chairs in front of the China cabinet?
What should I display in the China cabinet?
Anything else on the buffet besides the lamps?
Heeeeellllpppp??

Comments (30)

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like this canvas for above the buffet? What do you think?
    When I saw it I loved the lamps and ordered them and not the canvas. Now I keep going back to it.
    Do you think the lamps are too tall? It’s a high ceiling.
    My husband says we need more color in that room!🙄

• calidesign
    3 years ago

The canvas looks like it can work between your two lamps above the buffet. The mirrors are too small for that other wall though. If you want to use a mirror in the room, put the largest one between your lamps over the buffet and get several pieces of much larger art for the other wall. That will also help bring in some color. I think you're better off with art then mirrors anywhere in the room though since you don't have any windows there to reflect the light. For the armchairs, place the round end table back between the arms of the chairs, without anything on it, so it becomes functional for setting down a drink. You could also try using your tall shelves on the short wall where you currently have your buffet, and placing the buffet with artwork on the longer wall, parallel to the table; or use the tall shelves where you show the paper mirrors. It's hard to tell from your photos what the room dimensions are. The taller shelves don't work well next to your sliding doors, and that would allow the chairs to move back into a more natural seating area position.

• Related Discussions

Any ideas on this plant at our new place? Hoping it’s useful!

Q

Comments (6)
    No need to pull it out if you like it. This is a common landscape plant in SoCal. And a great many other plants we commonly grow are just as poisonous, if not more so, so that need not be an overriding reason :-) It is called a 'potato bush' because it comes from the same plant family as potatoes.....and pretty much all members of that family are toxic or poisonous to some degree. Even the ones we grow as veggies - potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, etc.
    ...See More

It’s turning oh so VANILLA!

Q

Comments (35)
    A warmer color fascia, black railings, and black lights will make a big difference, as will landscaping. Be sure your lights are large enough-you want something at least 15 or 16" long to have some presence and be in proportion to the size of the entrance. It's hard to get the big picture when you're looking at something half finished. Shutters aren't really appropriate with slider windows. A great color on the front door will help as well.
    ...See More

No, it’s not the Brady Bunch House

Q

Comments (20)
    Ha! I used to live in a neighborhood in suburban SF that had a TON of so-called Brady Bunch houses. I love them! I really like the vertical plank siding and would think seriously about replacing it with Hardie Plank or similar which is an engineered material that is rot-resistant. Or possibly a combination of Hardie plank and stucco, but I wouldn't do all stucco because I think it would take away from the original architectural intent of the house. It's as though an A-frame and a ranch house had a baby, and I love the look. Go full-on mid-century modern. Take some cues from the ranch houses in Palm Springs or even the Eichlers that are also popular in California.
    ...See More

new house has all high reflective white sherwin Williams it’s too whit

Q

Comments (3)
    I'd try to leave the trim/doors /cabinets if its a nice paint job. what you could do is bring color to work w high reflective white...a color for walls or accent wall in a primary spot/ some textiles w color/ even if throw pillow..do you need any curtain panels? accesorize around your table area w color. This white cooperates if you can think of color palette and then maybe some black hardware/ door knobs/ light fixture w black detail. this all can be very striking and wonderful. maybe a designer to help w spaces.
    ...See More
  • Susan Davis
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you love the lamps and art then they will be fine! Select a chandelier with gold in it to relate to picture and lamps.....no mirrors in the dining room, but yes in the foyer! When you hang your chandelier, start out with the bottom being 30 inches from the table top. For every foot above 8 feet, add three inch up away from the table....for example, if your ceiling is 10 feet tall, then the bottom of the chandelier should be 36" from the top of the table. If you ceiling is 20 feet 12 feet tall, then bottom of chandelier should be 42" from table top....add 3" for every foot height you ceilings are above 8 feet.

These are all suggestions that I think would look good in the room.....sparkle to add light, big to balance with the room, gold to relate to lamps and pictures.

This is from Candice Olson and I think is readily available from her collection.

10th Street · More Info

Gold, big, sparkle....note similar picture on wall above buffet similar to your look. Love the curtains...might work in your room......firing a designer to finish off the room could be a good thing....Ethan Allen does nice work and free design service, but they do windows etc nicely....

Fort Worth Residence · More Info

Again, big, gold, sparkles and fits size of room....not how these are hung in relation to table top and ceiling height.

Collector's Items · More Info

I LOVE this one! Again size, gold, sparkle, relation to table and note buffet with art and lighting on wall....oh, and note what is on each table....all good ideas.....but no mirrors in dining room, keep it simple.

Amazing Grace · More Info

This room is nice with the mirrors! Chandelier too fussy and small.

Jet Set Dining Room and Leather Buffet · More Info

Just some ideas you might be inspired by.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Could you post a sketch of the space and do it in black ink so I can read it from this side of the Internet. Then measure the lengths of each wall and the lengths of each doorway or opening. Your ceiling height is not relevant to most design decisions except for sizing chandeliers and hanging them properly.

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Flo Mangan I will get that sketch to you. Thank you!

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Flo Managan will this work or will it be best to sketch it??

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

AND.... I was thinking of putting a tall 7-8’ tree in the corner at the end of the buffet. ????

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Flo Mangan the rest of the room! FYI... 1) I had the table turned the other way with the buffet on the other wall but it was very awkward because we had to walk around the table (stuck out too much) into the other room. 2)I was going to get a very large mirror instead of 2 for that wall but the lighting designer who was helping me suggested the two mirrors. So undecided.... should I have gotten the large mirror? Should I put a mirror above the buffet and a huge canvas on the other wall? I cannot find a canvas that big., and I do like the one I posted in an earlier photo.... I’m driving myself crazy! I for sure need help with this. Probably should have asked before I bought the mirrors and lamps! 😳🙄

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

calidesign. The mirrors are both the same. I just put the piece of styrofoam from one mirror and the diagram for hanging from the other one. So I wouldn’t be able to do that... I do like the idea. I had mentioned to the lighting designer about a mirror above the buffet and she thought they would work better on that wall? I may be able to return them. Several pieces of what type of art work? I tend to go lean toward transitional however, my husband (who since we retired thinks he is an interior designer!) loves “southern traditional”🥴😳 I’m trying to compromise!

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Susan Davis Thank you! Great ideas! The chandelier is (as I thought) about 5” too high. We have 12’ ceilings. I can have the electrician lower it next time he comes out. I thought about a rug under the table, however, the size I would have to get would go out into the walkway from the front door to the kitchen/great room area. Which is why I decided to put a rug under the chairs in the sitting area.
    I had the table turned the other way when we first got it and we were always walking around it so we turned it around. Just like the table, a rug would obstruct the walkway.

• User
    3 years ago

Some color for your husband

John Singer Sargent Genoa- the University, 21"x28" Wall Decal · More Info

Sihlporte Grand Cafe - Paper Poster 20" x 30" · More Info

Louisiana Heron Painted Wall Mural, 48" x 48" · More Info

Joseph William Turner Hill Town on the Edge of the Campagna Gallery Wrap Canvas · More Info

Toute La Musique Tous Les Instruments Print · More Info

Joseph William Turner Interior at Petworth, 21"x28" Gallery Wrapped Canvas · More Info

"Young Woman Receives Gifts From Venus and The Three Graces" Paper Art, 27"x38" · More Info

"A Young Woman Receives Gifts From Venus and The Three Graces (Detail)" Artwork · More Info

"Portrait of a Manlate" Digital Paper Print by Sandro Botticelli, 22"x32" · More Info

Botticelli 'Giuliano Di Medici' Canvas Art, 24 x 16 · More Info

• User
    3 years ago

I think maybe a traditional oval rug

Caesar Area Rug, 6'x9' Oval · More Info

Hand Tufted Caesar Wool Rug CAE-1102 - 8' x 10' Oval · More Info

Might be nice to take the two chairs at each end of the table and place them on either side of the buffet for days without guests.

And a colorful ceramic centerpiece

Unique Chinese Orange/Coral and White Porcelain Foot Bath Basin With Base · More Info

• Tripeaks Solitiare
    3 years ago

I find it amazing by seeing these all . When I was building my dream home I had nobody to help . The only thing which I could do was to contact an interior designer , and i did find one too .

Suvarnarekha Design Consultants , although bit expensive they provided me with top quality design ideas. But by seeing this forums and activities done in it , i thought why didn't I think of it earlier

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ital mover thank you so much. I really appreciate your suggestions. I have a couple questions....
    I could do that with the chairs. I was also thinking of putting a tall tree in that one corner? to maybe bring in something with height.
    I’m trying to not only bring things together but create a “lighter” feeling in that room because the furniture is so dark and heavy (which my husband wanted!!) We live in Florida!
    I thought I would lighten it up with the off white chairs and rug in the sitting area. And the gold accessories (mirrors, lamps) instead of a heavy bronze.
    I cannot put a rug under the table because for the size I need, it would obstruct the walkway from the front door to the kitchen/greatroom area. Which is why I’m trying to pull everything together with the art work and maybe table centerpiece? instead of an area rug??
    Not sure if this is the right thing to do? But it doesn’t matter which direction I put the table in, the rug would definitely obstruct the walkway.

• ashtonchic
    3 years ago

Here is an example of a framed canvas from Great Big Canvas.

Fresh Bloom Pink II Wall Art, Canvas Prints, Framed Prints, Wall Peels | Great B · More Info

• User
    3 years ago

To make it light have you tried light runners on the table and buffet?

Can you add a floor lamp near the chairs by moving the big flower arrangement on the floor into the archway niche next to the window?

Do you get enough light in your window to grow a tree? A citrus tree could be pretty.

would you be okay withnsunny Italian art works?

• User
    3 years ago

Runners

Pomeroy Carril 14X96 Runner, Light Blue · More Info

Celeste Glistening Embroidered Table Runner, Natural, 16"x 36" · More Info

Baby Sea Turtle Migration Embroidered Table Runner · More Info

• User
    3 years ago

Different throw pillows for the chairs.? My screen device can be terrible with color so some of these might be wildly off. I can’t really see your curtains ata all

Mirage and Chevron 16.5" Throw Pillows, Set of 2 · More Info

Betsy Drake Venice - Lemon Bay to Passage Key Inlet, FL Nautical Map Noncorded · More Info

Khavi KHV-001 18"Hx18"W Square Pillow Kit Blue, Denim, Pink, Yellow, Sage, Beige · More Info

• User
    3 years ago

does the inside of your large wood case have lights?

A thin floor lamp can help lighten an otherwise dark cornet

Brightech Helix - Modern LED Floor Lamp for Living Room Bright Lighting, Black · More Info

Trend Perret 6-LT Floor Lamp TF70024AB - Aged Brass · More Info

Here is another pillow

Plutus Marlin Vines Blue, cream Floral Luxury Throw Pillow, 16"x16" · More Info

• User
    3 years ago

Some art

"Capri Piazza" Poster Print by Tava Studios, 12"x12" · More Info

Girolamo Gianni A Colonnade overlooking the Isle of Capri Gallery Wrapped Canvas · More Info

John Singer Sargent Staircase in Capri, 15"x30" Gallery Wrapped Canvas Print · More Info

John Singer Sargent 'Rosina Ferrara Head Of A Capri Girl' Canvas Art, 47 x 30 · More Info

• George
    3 years ago

The chairs , tile , carpet and wall color or too close in color and they are not complimenting each other . Put in a wood floor for some contrast . Some things look strange too . The dining table seems to be on a weird angle and the arm chairs are on a rug that’s way to small and they are directed towards the dining table . The dining table needs a rug under it , big enough so that all the chairs are still on the rug when they are pulled out . The dark wood is really heavy . Use chairs that are all fabric to give some balance .

The room is tough . There seems to be all these different angles and random things like the box cut out over the one door .

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ital mover. Thank you! I like the idea of new pillows and a runner on the table. I also have to decide what to put on the table.
    A flower arrangement? Bottles? Vases? Jars? Plates?
    The window treatment was there so I I left it for now. I would like to get something with color, and maybe get pillows made in a coordinating fabric?
    And YES! the China cabinet does have a light. I forgot all about that. Once I figure out the direction I’m going in and buy the pieces I’d like displayed in the cabinet, I will for sure keep the light ON!

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ital mover thank you... great ideas to add color! I’m trying to go more transitional/traditional than just traditional. Not so old “ornate”.

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Flo Mangan Here it is!! I tried! Let me know if this works.
    Although I’m not sure what you’re going to do with this..... Maybe the photos I posted (above) with measurements will work better??

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

George yes! The room is very difficult a couple walls at different angles which is why the table is not perfectly straight! I wasn’t sure which wall to follow!!! That’s the way Florida houses are built with the openings and cubbies (dust collectors) in the walls? Very different for me! If I want some contrast between floor and walls, we would have to paint. Replacing the floor would be far to costly and most of the house has that ceramic tile throughout. (Except for bedrooms). Also.... I cannot put a rug under the table. If I get the size I’m suppose to get it obstructs the walkway from the front door to the living area. And it doesn’t matter which way I put the table, I had it the other way and that was even more in the way. As you said, very difficult......

• User
    3 years ago

Have you ever considered flipping the room completely? I realize you would need to buy another light fixture and install it , but if you haven’t already considered putting the buffet where the big display cabinet is, and the dining table next to it, then moving everything else to the other side of the room, think about it. The room would be brighter with two chandeliers. They don’t need to match.

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ital mover Hmmm..... I might like that! I’ll measure it and see if that will work. Just measured...no☹️ won’t work. If I put the table the length of the wall there is no walkway room out of the master suite (the door way opening is right there) and if I put it along the width then the table juts way out, once obstructing the walkway from the front door to the living area.

• PRO
    DANE AUSTIN INTERIOR DESIGN Boston & Cambridge
    3 years ago

Below we've included a few pictures of dining room designs we have completed for clients. Take note of the artwork/mirrors and chandeliers.

Charlestown Brownstone: Dining Room · More Info

Oyster Harbors Estate: Dining Room · More Info

Seaport High Rise: Dining Room · More Info

South End Brownstone: Dining Room · More Info

• cra4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beautiful!