SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_368903710

Selecting windows and window grid pattern in new home

Kate
3 years ago

Hello! Our architect designed our home to have casement windows with a 2x3 grid pattern in the main portion of our home (the area with stone). He designed the rest of the home to have double hung windows with a 2x2 grid pattern. We met with our window supplier yesterday and he is recommending we go with all casement windows with a 2x3 grid pattern for the front of the home (casement windows with a 2x2 grid pattern for the smaller windows) and to stick with the double hung with a 2x2 grid pattern for the sides and back of the home. I personally liked the way the architect designed it, but now I'm finding myself questioning it. And advice would be greatly appreciated. I've attached the original rendering along with one showing what the window supplier is recommending.

Comments (37)

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Personally I prefer the window suppliers rendering over the architect's elevation.

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Millworkman! Do you think it is okay to do double hung windows with a 2x2 grid pattern for the sides and back of the home?

• Related Discussions

What grid pattern would you choose for the windows?

Q

Comments (3)
    The only reason to use different grid styles is if the architectural style of your home requires them to maintain the correct look. This is not the case for your home. I think the grids shown in the rendering are the best option.
    ...See More

Need advice with replacement windows and grid patterns

Q

Comments (3)
    Back shows bay and kitchen basement, front is the large circle head window.
    ...See More

Crossbars/Grids/Muntins or No for New Windows

Q

Comments (6)
    I do think the first floor windows dictate what you should do in front. In back you can go without muntins, but in front I understand you can get the diamond muntins to snap into the top of the windows, leaving the bottom clear for the view. A dilemma recently just snapped out the diamond muntins they had.
    ...See More

New Construction Home Window Selection

Q

Comments (6)
    We have a meeting with the builder today to discuss architectural plans for the home. We have not gone in depth regarding the windows as of yet. I am guessing the initial paperwork we looked through that mention Silverline windows as part of Anderson was an outdated spec. To my knowledge there are no limitations on what we can purchase as they are custom builders however we would like to keep the project cost efficient where we can. It’s hard for me to gauge budget as I don’t know how much of a differential there would be between the silver line and a higher in product like the soft lite and Okna but any advice or direction pointing would be greatly appreciated. Are there any lines within Anderson or Pella that are decent?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

Another vote for the window supplier.

• millworkman
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

No reason you could not do double hungs on the sides and back, but I may try and keep a similar grid pattern or even no grids.. However the interiors would look substantially different if they are in the same rooms.

• shead
    3 years ago

Here's another option worth considering:

I'm really torn...I think I might like the simplicity of the 2 over 2 on the middle section of the house over the 2x3.

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks toddinmn and millworkman! And yes, cpartist, you are exactly right! His idea was that this was an original stone English Country house that got "added" on to over time and the windows take on a slightly different appearance to accentuate that storyline. I guess my concern is that most people won't understand his vision for the home and instead view it as a mistake. Is going with the window supplier's recommendation the safer option?

• elcieg
    3 years ago

I think the muntins are designed perfectly for the house.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

My favorite is sheads. Second choice is architects.

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Shead!! Wow, I really like that option, as well! I'm so torn.

Thank you, Judianna20 - so you think the way the architect designed it, is the way to go?

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you ILoveRed!!

• shead
    3 years ago

And while we're at it.....how do you feel about ALL that roof over the main section of the house? Here's a rendering of it shortened a bit :)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

Very nice design! Personally I think that double hung windows are more authentic on a classic stone house like yours. But that's JMHO

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Diana! Would you do double hung on the stone portion of the home, as well? What grid pattern do you think would look best?

Thank you, Snead! I do think I like the house as designed, but it's interesting to see it shortened a bit!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

Actually, yes, that was my point, to use double hung windows on the stone portion. I just happen to like them better than casements, and think that they were more used on stone homes in the past. The grid pattern would depend on the width and length of the windows.

Here is an article on stone houses in Bucks County, PA, you might get some inspiration from them:

https://www.visitbuckscounty.com/things-to-do/planning-ideas/historic-stone-houses-in-bucks-county/

• oberon476
    3 years ago

I prefer Shead's version, but i would also do the front door with the same pattern

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

The first rendering looks transitional, the second rendering looks traditional. I like the first one. There may be a functional reason for the mix of casement windows and double hung windows.

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago

Casements in the center section probably to get a specific grid pattern.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

My only thought about the two different types of windows is that perhaps the architect was attempting to make the stone house look vintage and the wings on either side appear to be additionals to the original home. It's a concept I guess.

I prefer SHEAD's window elevation. I hate casements...... an open window hanging out at an angle and the screen INSIDE the house. Double Hung windows all the way with the tilt in option for cleaning is practical and less expensive. I have made some minor adjustments to SHEAD"S elevation

This is the type of door I recommend for the entrance in double form without the sidelights.

Here are some homes for reference.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

I prefer the architect's version.

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

Given that in most cases window openings are divided up by two to three windows and that double-hung windows have a meeting rail, is it necessary to have additional grids to obscure the views and reduce the amount of light transmitted?

-- amateur

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    3 years ago

Though choices! If I was going for the old world stone cottage look I'd go for the architect's rendering. With only maybe shortening the roof line. If I wanted it to look like most other houses I'd go with the majority vote. But I am not a fan of the whole group think concept and loss of individuality that's becoming more prevalent. In Ireland two years ago we marveled at the stone homes with beautiful red, green, blue framed windows and how the architecture varied from one to another. The only constant was the cement block instead of wood framing.

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Mark Bischak, Architect & Cpartist - You both mentioned you liked the original design by the architect. If we were to go this route, do you think it will look odd using casement windows for the stone part of the home and double hung for the wings? Or would you go with a different grid pattern for the stone part of the home that would allow for double hung windows?

• Seabornman
    3 years ago

I like the architect's window version more. You won't see all the roof the way you see it in a 2d elevation. You didn't ask, but that sliver of stone at the base of the board and batten siding is bothersome.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

You do not have a problem with the wings being board & batten; the different window type is a continuum. I would go as the architect has shown.

The stone foundation encompassing the entire structure does not bother me, but I had to visualize it as it would occur in real life and not rely on the graphic representation.

• Lynne Thomas
    3 years ago

Just stopping by to thank you for building such a beautiful, classic home.

• shead
    3 years ago

It'll be stunning no matter which window choice you make. I would likely err on making the window style the same on the entire house no matter which style you choose versus using different styles on each section.

I hope you're installing big wood burning fireplaces to go with those gorgeous, massive chimneys ;)

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    3 years ago

I think your architect has put thought into the selections here and unless you hate some specific aspect or it doesn’t function for your lifestyle, I would stay with his vision. It is these types of details while many people find charming about older homes.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Are the two small windows in the ”connectors” to the wings, are they double-hung? Or are they casement? Casement would be more appropriate to those.

My grandparents’ Georgian style house built in 1947 has all double-hung, except the kitchen and laundry to the side. There, casements were better for functionality, and they look right, too.

btw, for the casements, will you get the roller screen? I lived with them in two houses totalling 65 years, (well, one was built a couple of years before I was born) and I highly recommend them!

• worthy
    3 years ago

Leave the bastardization of the architect's concept to later generations of "modernizers". (I can see the aluminum shudders coming.)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Aluminum shutters?!?!? Slowly I turned . . . step by step . . . inch by inch . . .

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We have decided to go with Marvin double hung windows throughout, after reading some negative reviews on the french casement windows. By doing so, we will need to change the grid pattern for the windows that were originally designed as casements. My dh loves the simplicity of the 2 over 2 design as shown above in Shead's rendering. Most of the homes here in Ohio that look similar to ours use a 6 over 6 grid pattern. Although that is the pattern I typically see for colonial style homes, we would prefer to go with less grids for ease of cleaning as well as a less obstructed view. We did run across a home that is somewhat similar to ours that has a 6 over 1 pattern (see attached) and I'm quite fond of it, but husband is still pushing for the 2 over 2 pattern. Thoughts on which looks best? If we were to go the 6 over 1 route, any advice on what to do with the smaller windows? As always, thank you all for your help!

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

I love the two over two. Your house is going to be very special.

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, ILoveRed! That's what we have decided to go with!

• Karen
    3 years ago

Kate - what are the dimensions of your larger windows? We’re designing a granny flat with 36x72 windows and I’m struggling with the same decision. Your home will be beautiful!

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Karen! The larger windows are 36x72.

• Karen
    3 years ago

Thanks Kate! It's so nice to be able to visualize the windows!!