SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kris_atkinsfreeman

Is the perfect DARK BROWN/BLACK cool tone ROOF out there ?? HELP!

K Free
3 years ago
  • I have always hated the color of the house and roof. We are changing IT ALL!!!! The colors in this photo are a tad DEEPER than in true life, but close. The plastic shake shingles over the garage are Certainteed brand in Sable Brown, an extremely difficult color to work with. Kind of a taupe/gray-brown, color. I took a shingle to Sherwin Williams and their computer color matched it to the color GRIFFIN. (I taped the color to the shingle in the lower photo).

The other photo of my house was taken on a more cloudy day and shows the color more washed out. I have included this so you can see that my stone has lots of grays in it as well as browns. I haven't completely decided on house colors yet, but leaning toward maybe a darker olive green or maybe a terra cotta or burnt rust... I don't know. I might have to end up painting the plastic shingles if I can't find anything to work with this color. Whatever color I do select, I know that even if it was green, I will need to keep it on the gray-green scale due to the gray tones in my stone.

My most pressing problem right now is my roof color since my roof is getting replaced in 3 weeks!! I can't find one I like, or I can't find one with a large enough sample to decide. I want a roof that is dark brown. A brown/black with cool undertones. And, while I want it to have some dimension to it, I'm not a fan of the roofs that have almost a checkerboard look to them.

Comments (6)