SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caseybauer

"smart" dimmers and switches - understanding the options (new build)

caseyb
3 years ago

I have been researching, and struggling to understand, the options out there for "smart" dimmer switches. There are so many ways to slice it, and the prices make it a serious choice. If you have some relevant personal experience to share, I thank you in advance!

- I am looking for a switching/dimmer system that allows for scene control (all off, particularly).

- Kids and guests need to be able to operate the switches.

- It's a big house (tall, mainly), with a lot of switches (around 80, including 3-ways, and potential remotes).

- We will have three WAP nodes in the house, but I don't want to cause problems by swamping the wireless setup (there seems to be some concern about that).

- A lot of our fixtures will be LED (integrated), and mostly line voltage. All switch boxes (the blue plastic kind) have a neutral wire.

- I do not need to integrate my lights with the other systems (audio, thermostat, etc) in the house - I'm a separate-systems person - or connect them to the internet.

- I do not anticipate getting a "smart speaker" such as the Alexa. We do have iPhones (not the kids, though) and an iPad.

- I'm willing and able to learn quite a bit, but will probably max out if it gets geek-level technical.

- I do really like the idea of wireless remotes, but we can probably still get a wire to most of the places I've thought of using them.

- I don't want to take big risks with regard to longevity/support/eventually having to rip things out and do them over.

- Definitely no glowing/backlit switches. I want it to be dark at night. We'll have nightlights where we need them.

I was initially looking at the Lutron Caseta system, but have realized that it has a 75 device maximum that we would probably exceed, or at least max out. I have also conceded that the buttons would probably be tricky if you are in the dark, if you're moving quickly, or if you are fumbling/less dexterous.

Then I looked at Lutron's RA2 Select system, which has nicer switches and still has the wireless remotes, but the price feels galling.

So I am trying back up and get a wider view of my options. I have vaguely considered a doubled-up Caseta system, and a 2nd layer to integrate them, but I'm not sure if it is worth the trouble, or might put me into the price category where I should have just gone with the RA2 Select. I'm contemplating Legrand Radiant and Leviton Decora, and what else might be out there for options. I wish I better understood the other systems out there, but all the discussions seem to be about full home automation, or at least connecting everything to the internet, and I'm not finding the info that helps me with my case.

Comments (23)