SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_9142640773

3O sq ft bathroom advice

Ela
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So I have a 5' by 6' bathroom downstairs (there is another bathroom above it which will be the main bath, and they will be sharing a plumber's wall). This bathroom will probably be mostly used by guests and ourselves as it's not too far from the kitchen and living room areas. We are keeping the small toilet and tub. The old vanity was an 18" vanity with cabinet. I believe a 24" pedestal sink would be able to fit in the bathroom, but then we give up some storage space. We also have the option of swapping the order of the toilet and sink (though I'm still undecided, all the plumbing is going). We also have the option of moving the doorway a few inches to the side, so that we can have the door open into the bathroom (I want to do this as this door is across from the basement door and both open into the hallway creating a traffic jam). The window is being replaced for a picture with an awning window on top (same size that glassblocks take up). There is also a heat vent on the wall where the trashcan is. I'm trying to go for a timeless look, but I don't mind doing a bit more modern for the bathroom.

* Would it be better to put in an 18" in wide cabinet vanity or 24" pedestal? Floating vanities are a bit out of my budget.

* I'm thinking of putting in white offset subway tiles 4x8. Not sure if they should go all the way up to the ceiling or not. Thoughts on this or recommended designs to make the bathroom look bigger?

* I want to put down hex tiles on the floor to make it a bit fun. I'm leaning toward a marbled grey look. Not sure if they should be the small size or if I should put in 6" or 8" potentially for ease of cleaning. I don't want to make the mistake of the wrong tile and making the bathroom look even smaller. Thoughts?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)