SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fqatzob

Planting for a trellis.

DCF-Z6A
3 years ago

Hi! My goal is to plant clematis this spring that will cover this trellis and minimize the view of the generator from the deck. Each trellis is 7' x 2'. These have a pivot base so there are two prongs/feet that set into the ground at either side of the trellis and a cross bar with two more prongs that set into the ground perpendicular (front and back) to the trellis. While that allows for some stability, I obviously can't pick plants that will be exceptionally heavy or that need excessive space to expand. I'm researching plants with that in mind, as well as the fact that by early May the area is mostly filtered sun. Any suggestions are appreciated! I don't have any colors in mind. Ideally a bloom that's June or so but I'm not dead set on that - I just want early coverage even if it's just greenery. I've got ivy in the area so that will eventually help fill in during the off-season. I'm in Zone 6A (Northeast Ohio) with clay soil.
My other question is how many plants I should buy and whether is best to plant a couple in front and a couple behind to balance out the weight. (And, yes, I realize clematis will get cut back each year so I'll be starting with a bare trellis each season.)
Thank you!

Comments (25)

Sponsored