SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betsey_biggs64

Decking for ground-level Colorado deck?

Betsey Biggs
3 years ago

Hi all, I'm putting in an approximately 12x16 deck in my backyard outside of Denver, Colorado (elevation 5300ft). For privacy issues, I'd prefer it to be as low as possible, maybe 6-8" above grade? Most of the deck (about 2/3) has a lot of shade, the rest will have sun. I am hoping for a low maintenance solution, and will have a cedar hot tub sitting on top of it. I'd prefer to stay away from composite if possible.

(1) I am considering Garapa, Thermory Ash, and Black Locust. Possibly Sassafras? I am wondering what might work best with such a low deck in a sunny, dry, and sometimes snowy environment (humidity above will never be an issue but possibly below?) Ipe is financially out of reach and I actually prefer the look of Garapa. Though a local decking store told me that they have only seen Red Balau and Ipe work well here. Assuming I should go with 5/4x4 to minimize potential movement, as well as SS surface screws?

(2) If I choose a tropical hardwood, I'd prefer it to not be illegally harvested. Is Garapa more sustainable/easier to obtain than Ipe?

(3) Local prices seem to be at least double the prices of the online places. I know East Teak and Advantage have good reputations here. How about HardwoodDeckingSupply.com, ElementLumber, or Robidecking? Anyone worked with them? If we order online, should the wood be air dried or kiln dried for my dry climate, and how long should I plan on acclimating?

(4) Finally, my contractor has suggested digging about 8" deep and filling with 2-3" inches of gravel, and framing from there. Is that the right approach? And I am assuming that even though it's at ground level, we should be pouring footers below the frost line because of the hot tub, is that right?

Thank you!

Comments (7)