SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Project decorate-the-mantel

jojoco
3 years ago

Project decorate-the-mantel is a go. Turns out dh didn't feel as strongly about keeping it empty as I thought. So to bring all my enablers up to speed, here is the mantel now:

The color is pretty true, sort of a tawny buttery color. The moulding will stay as I want to do this with as little extra work ($$) as possible. I acknowledge that the moulding will impose certain limitations. The andirons and fender in the front will also stay. The tool. set will go.

Here is the rug in front of the fireplace:

It's a silk rug that may read a bit more pink/coral, but not much.

We also have two of these lights in the room. They photograph horribly, but are beautiful in person.

So that's the foundation. Here is an inspiration photo, with a few caveats:

Dh ixnayed the gilded clock. Too frou frou for him. He would prefer a more masculine one. The following is a compromise. I like a a lot and he is fine with it too. It also works well with the rug. I haven't bought it yet.

It's 17" tall and about a foot wide. I think it will work well. I'm semi-open to other clocks.

The mirror in the inspiration picture is beautiful but I think it would a) fight with the panel moulding, and b) break the bank. I'm open to mirror (s) suggestions that might work. One plea, though, please keep the mirrors reasonable. Ideally, I'd love to find an old one on Facebook Marketplace. (shipping is expensive!) The moulding is really going to be a challenge.

I've found very similar vases to those that are pictured.

They are on Houzz and other places. They are $250 each which is more than I want to spend, but not a total deal breaker. I'm open to others. Birds are a plus. They don't necessarily have to be blue and white, but I do like them to match.

I love the idea of hydrangeas and other flowers, but I do not like the cutesy vases they used. I like the moss balls, though. I'm keeping in mind that this mantel was decorated for spring.

Does anyone want to weigh in?

Oh, and logistically, the mantel shelf (is that redundant?) is 11.5" deep and 32" from shelf to ceiling.

All input gratefully appreciated.

Jo

Comments (92)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH