SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirikara

Small outdoor space mostly in the shade: where to start?

Hiela
3 years ago

We have our "yard" that is 15 foot wide by 22 wide, fenced in with a large/4 story high tree. It is between two 4 story buildings so litle direct sunlight. We get 3-5 hours of sun on about 3/4 of the space from 11-noon to 5-6pm in the summer in zone 5. Some of it is filtered light because of trees Spring is better because less leaves. So basically there is very little light. We want to redesign it, right now it is just old concrete pavers and ground cover/hostas everywhere. I don't know where to start. We don't have a big budget (2-4k). I have gathered ideas of what I love but I strongly suspect that it won't work here (french garden, grasses, white/grey/purple tones) for my climate and light conditions. We need everything to be redone, re-level the soil. make sure draining is happening away from our building, hardscape for a small dining space (would love outdoor porcelain printed tile) and plants. Space for a bit of a garden would be awesome. Love moss, not a big lawn fan,

I understand I could start designing spaces/zone/etc but how do I figure out what can actually work in my specific space? what is needed/required, what is just not possible?

I just dont know how to start...

Comments (7)