SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donmarshe

Help! Need advice on livingroom layout

donmarshe
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have recently renovated my house and am having a very difficult time in planning a layout for my living room. I plan to buy new furniture so it is an open slate. I have 68" long baby grand piano which makes it difficult. I don't know if I should buy 3 chairs, or 2 chairs and a love seat, or what? I have been playing with arranging some spare furniture, including a chaise, but nothing seems to work and it always seems unbalanced. (see attached photos). Placing a sofa against the 82" wall seems so closed in. In the diagram below, the room flows into a dining room, then into my kitchen. I just need an idea how to place furniture in this room before I even start to venture off buying anything. Anyone have any ideas to start me off? Thank you so so much.

Comments (31)

• donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• User
    3 years ago

Bear with me for a second.....

Maybe everything would work better for you if you started by removing the 2 chairs at your dining room table that are closest to the window and replacing them with a bench that is right at the window, and positioning the dining table at the window, out of the center of the pathway to the kitchen. You can put a sideboard on the wall opposite the table, and swag your chandelier to hang over the table

So then put the blue chaise sofa opposite the fireplace. For now, take the bench/ottoman and put it to the left of the fire place, facing the piano. Take the yellow armchair and put it to the right of the fireplace.

Try angling the piano further into the room so the pianist is more facing toward the fireplace instead of the walL. Think about moving the big artwork on the mantle into the dining room wall and getting a chandelier for the living room.

I would make those moves and see how it looks to you. You might want to get a much bigger chair or different chaise, think about tables, lamps a rug and possibly shelving if that layout basically appeals

donmarshe thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Help! Living room layout needs help

Q

Comments (1)
    No decorating suggestions from me, but I had to laugh when I noticed the dog bed on the floor and your doggie on the couch, where every good dog should be.
    ...See More

Need advice with new living room layout and old furniture

Q

Comments (13)
    @housegal200 - I agree! I love everything about how this house was staged and would have been totally happy buying all their furniture. I wanted to hire a designer/decorator for at least the living room but I couldn't get my husband on-board with that idea and now I'm terrified about how bad this room might potentially look. Unfortunately getting a smaller TV in here is not an option - he is dead set on keeping this TV and making this the family room. There is another room in between the dining room and kitchen that is being used as a formal sitting room but it's not as nice as this room.
    ...See More

Living Room Layout Advice Needed

Q

Comments (24)
    Beachy-barn door could hide kitchen from view... if it'd work with other room, could make new DR opening that faces the kitchen sliders... A bigger rearrangement: new hallway with a jigjag through the fp footspace [to get to bathroom/ bedroom], then refrig have a unit beside it, and could add cabinets along wall.
    ...See More

Need some advice on our open layout living room

Q

Comments (3)
    The TV is not in the best place. Any backlighting while watching puts strain on the eyes. I'm wondering if you could angle the sofas and put the TV in a corner. Otherwise, I would try turning the sofas 90º splitting the room that way. Since I can't see the other half of this open layout, I can't know how that move would impact it.
    ...See More
  • jck910
    3 years ago

First I think you need to get the piano placed correctly.

Info from total-piano-care.com

Grand pianos, when placed in a room, are (1) preserved and (2) sound best when the 'straight edge' is placed against an inner wall, away from windows and air vents. Also, grand pianos should be positioned so that (a) the pianist can look into the room (and not into a wall), and (b) the bass side of the piano (left, straight edge) runs parallel to the wall.

This placement enables the bass (low frequency sound) to bounce from the wall, into the room, and the treble to be projected clear out into the middle of the room, for the best sound.

A grand piano can also be placed at a 45 degree angle, 1/3 or 1/5 of the way between a diagonal corner.

What will the room be used for? I think moving the piano to where the ottoman is now and 2 chairs in the window alcove

donmarshe thanked jck910
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

PIANO has to move or you will never have seating for after dinner : ) I converted your drawing to 1/4 inch scale for common furniture templates, none of which are 1/2 inch. So the drawing does not lie.

When you have two openings to a room diametrically opposed as yours,, your eye says "I must get through here to the beyond .....and yes the guests must.

No to the loveseat....a useless sort of upholstery. Don't forget lighting via lovely table lamps and a standing lamp ( circles with the x inside )

A pair of swivel chairs is nice, and many will suit those dimensions width and depth.

You can certainly seat six - any more? You yank in a dining chair.

For now?????? Best as below until you have suitable upholstery purchases ? Lose the chaise to a bedroom, and perhaps begin your scheme with a lovely 9 x 12 rug, a neutral round pouf for some nice pull up seating-

If you find an inexpensive tide- you- over console that can have another "home" in your home? Fine. It a lamp and art vignette. But ONLY if it has another spot to go..

Don't rush...a good room take time and thoughtfulness

donmarshe thanked JAN MOYER
  • Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Love that first drawing

donmarshe thanked Kathy Furt
  • User
    3 years ago

Personally I can’t live without a chaise so i would go with a more slender profile but sofa-like if need be, put it opposite the fireplac, and take the art off the mantle and hang it over the chaise

Evangeline Parisian Settee - Navy, Black · More Info

However i also think this sofa would look nice opposite your fireplace

Delve Velvet Sofa, Maroon · More Info

donmarshe thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

Just having fun....

Yves Blush Velvet Swivel Accent Chair with Gold Base · More Info

Rodeo Drive RD888 Area Rug, White/Ivory, 5'x8' Rectangle · More Info

Safavieh Evoke Collection EVK236 Rug, Gray/Gold, 6'7" Square · More Info

Have fun in your beautiful light filled space. I love your piano and fireplace

donmarshe thanked User
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

I hope the OP realizes how lucky she is that Jan took the time to draw and post that layout. Good free advice is rare.

donmarshe thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • User
    3 years ago

i sincerely doubt the OP will fail to appreciate advice given and the time taken to give it . She already in fact emphasizef her gratitude in advance., in her first post.

Up to her any suggestions fit with her life And it’s not being ungrateful to do something other than advised.

donmarshe thanked User
  • donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh my gosh, thank you so much to everyone for your suggestions. I've been busy moving furniture around and taking pictures for you. Unfortunately, I can't move the piano without more manpower right now.

First, I should clarify that when entering the front entrance to the house, extending from the foyer is a long wide hall that extends to a spiral staircase to the second floor, then continues to the kitchen. So, the normal pathway would not be through the living room. Also off the kitchen, there is a large family room with 2 sectionals & a large screen TV so this is where we normally congregate.

The living room is rarely used. My husband and I live alone in the house, and we rarely use the living room. When daughter comes to visit, she plays the piano and we will join her.

Because the living room is the first room seen when entering the house, I am trying to give it an elegant sophisticated look, but also cozy. This is more important than having a functional gathering room with large seating capability. I have that with the family room.

So with all that in mind, I tried experimenting.

First, for the dining room, as per ital mover's suggestion, I tried moving the dining table closer to the window. I'd must admit that I prefer to have chairs versus a bench because I'd like a more formal feel, but I'm open. I'd like to get a modern crystal chandelier over table to add some bling, so moving it over could be part of the project if it works. Moving the dining room table does make the dining room feel wider and perhaps better flow feel. I'll upload a picture. I'll keep that in mind as it all comes together. My priority right now is to get the living room done first.

In the past, I tried moving a chaise or loveseat in the corner across from the fireplace. It justed didn't seem to work and felt like I was wedging in a piece of furniture into a hidden corner. I tried putting in on an angle and that did not seem to work either. I thought I could do that with the chaise, but it looked very unbalanced.

Although I agree with the advice that the positioning of the piano is important (against wall etc), right now the visual and balance of the room is my priority. I normally keep the sheer blinds closed in the living room to protect the piano. My husband prefers the piano in the window alcove because a) it looks elegant when entering into the house and b) it also looks very nice while standing from the kitchen and looking beyond the dining room into the living room. He likes having it as a focal point from that view. I more open than he is about moving the piano, so it might take some effort, but we will see....

Before the renovation, we did have the piano placed in a 45 degree angle facing into the corner opposite the fireplace, similar to what jck910 has suggested as a possibility. We had 2 large matching chairs in the window alcove separated by a small table and one additional chair to the right of the fireplace. It was nice, but the piano seemed "bulky" and crowded so we are thinking of the piano as the focal point versus "hidden" in the corner and making the room a bit more airy. Also, as empty nesters, we have gone from 5 to 2, so we don't need as much seating. But I want to consider all possibilities.

Jan, I love your examples. Thank you so so much and THANK YOU for the illustrations!!!! Because I can't move the piano, I had to draw tape on the floor to see the proportions. I'm nervous a bit that upon entering the house, that the big black end of the piano might be obstructive. Its hard to tell without moving it, which I will when I have a few of the kids over to help. On the other hand, I tried having just 2 chairs positioned as you suggested and I was pleasantly surprised that this looks quite nice as well. I would never have thought to do this. A pair of beautifully designed chairs could look very nice. Thank you so much.

In the morning or if I have time later this evening, I'm going to upload some pictures of the prototype layouts as I moved the furniture around. Once I decide on the upholstery furniture type, moving on to tables, lamps, art etc will be much easier. PS....I moved the chaise up to a bedroom and it looks wonderful.

I still have to review some the more recent suggestions, so more to come later. But thank you again for all the suggestions so far. They were incredible and so helpful.

• donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Old livingroom

• donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Before arch between between rooms was removed. piano in corner.

• User
    3 years ago

great info from you and i look forward to more pictureS. Wish i could see the whole house. It sounds lovely.

in mentionig a bench for a dining room rearrangement I was thinking of a bench with a back, like a settee — but chairs are more flexible, admittedly.

Not imagining you’d leap from blue to pinks but your room with the ebony piano and high gloss fireplace put me in such a viennese frame of mind I couldn’t resist

donmarshe thanked User
  • donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Front entrance

• donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Dining room table moved closer to the wall with sideboard (just a console table as an example)

• donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

2 chairs in living room

• User
    3 years ago

And just now. Realized i gave you the picture of the wrong blue chaise for opposite the fireplace

Sandy Wilson Home Celeste Tight Back Chaise Lounge Midnight Blue · More Info

donmarshe thanked User
  • donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Green tape of potential piano positioning.

• donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Family room before and after. Still needs artwork, pillows, etc.

• donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kitchen Before and After

• donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kitchen now opens into dining room on far left.

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Wow nice afters!!!! Love the pooch. Still love Jans first drawing

donmarshe thanked Kathy Furt
  • User
    3 years ago

What a fabulous renovatio! You most be so happy with it. It’s lovely.

would you consider a standout bar stool and bar table at the far wnd of the piano, next to the fireplace? It would need to be something just right, so i‘m not saying buy what you see here, i am proposing it as maybe a solution for a space where a chair gets lost.

Gold Rod Bar Stool, Mid Century, Brushed Gold Wire, Velvet, Blue · More Info

Rupert Bar Table · More Info

Tad-B 24-inch Bar Table · More Info

Unique Modern Bar Stool Polished set of 2, Gold · More Info

Fabian Fabric/ PU Bar Stool · More Info

Kalco Lighting Bal Harbour Pub Table, Pearl Silver 800103PS · More Info

Obviously you can find all kinds upholstey and finishes and shapes but I think the perfect combo could look nice with a maybe a great plant on a pedestal in the corner and the right art on the wall.

Back to your dining room arrangement: Since your chairs are not perfectly straight backed they cant be put right against the wall like a bench with a straight back or an armless settee

Jasper Dining Bench · More Info

Your table looks so long I thought you might be able to put 2 of these at the window

Rainn Armless Love Seat With Natural Legs, Oblong Mustard · More Info

donmarshe thanked User
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Here's the thing . Paper inches don't lie. Designers don't bring in custom furniture to shovel it around and THEN decide! We'd go broke doing that. If you want the piano in the window ? You revert to two chairs and two ottomans....... or two chaise. Seeking the drama? Point the prow a bit more INTO the room, and OPEN the lid. lose the photo clutter. Get a closed console on the wall where I put one.

The point is it is either a room for a couple folks, or or room for a group of folks. But if you want balance, ............

Add ottomans to these chairs below.. Or make those a left arm chaise, and a right arm chaise. Use a CLOSED console and art on the long wall........and add two , light and open left and right of the fire. So basically you are back to this with SWIVEL chairs and first purchase? A great RUG.

Nothing will feel good until a rug - It will all feel afloat and disjointed.

Nobody, and not you either can devise a plan unless your are clear on the PURPOSE of the space. In this case, music room, living room, or both.

And the dining table? Please put it back in the middle of the room :

To my mind, you have choked the family room a bit _ too much seating, kitchen looks great, lower the island light a bit ? I wouldn't mind seeing a different light altogether. That's jmho. I'm all for juxtaposition, but it's a bit of a stretch given the rest of the space. Just me.....: )

It's either THE THING or not.............LIFT THE LID.

donmarshe thanked JAN MOYER
  • User
    3 years ago

I love jan’s drawings but her posts remind me why designers get politely fired! I myself have let go two in my life, the first one being the first time I ever tried to use a designer without knowing it was possible one might not listen to a client, the other was one whom I brought in to stage a home before selling it, because I knew my own room use, layouts and decor choices were not the market. I paid the consultation fee but hired someone else who came up with a different plan with my existing furniture. The house sold fo $35k over asking, one day on the market.

I’m sure Jan amd others have many stories to tell about how happy they were to say goodbye early to a client. These things go both ways for sure. As for advice given on Houzz, I certainly don‘t expect the OP here to take my suggestions, and it is easy to imagine she and her husband laughing uproariously over how out of their world my ideas are. In the end she and her husband might decide to go with every single thing jan has said it is what jan wants to do. But other designers, creatives and the owners themselves standing in that room can and would come up with other successful plans for a delightful functional space

Wish it were my house to decorate because i can see where I would have a lot of fun doing it and having others share What I created. I think Houzz forums are great for all the people who offer their ideas so the homeowners who live in them have the best possible shot at coming up with a great space for their needs.

donmarshe thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

Jan, for better or worse, you arent the sum total of who is out there selling design advice. You aren’t a “we.” There is no “us.”. You have your ideas. They have theirs. Fortunately it’s not all a conformity,.

i hope you dont end up taking your anger at my views out on the op, who as far as i can tell is quite interested in having your input.

donmarshe thanked User
  • donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

All being said, I'm perfectly okay with Jan's approach. Give it to me direct and be blunt if you wish. My feelings won't get hurt. I want input from a trained eye, ESPECIALLY for space planning options. I know I can choose to incorporate 100% or 50% (as I may have personal limitations that don't allow me to move forward on the ideal set up), but I want to know what that ideal set up is. And I appreciate Jan's input on the other rooms (thoughts we share...ie family room and lighting). Some things I can not change, but knowing the weak spots opens up ideas for creativity on camouflaging. Expertise comes from training, exposure and experience, and these may differ from one professional to another, so I value input from all. Thanks to everyone!!

• donmarshe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for the furniture ideas Ital!! Very nice selections to consider when I get to that phase. Putting a bar table/stool arrangement in the corner is certainly thinking "out of the box" and is creative, something I may have considered in my younger days, but now in my older years, I'm thinking more of a relaxation setting. But an interesting idea for others reading this forum. Once I get the layout / space planning nailed (much easier if it was only my choice), it will be lots of fun with the furniture selection and deco .....I look forward to that part.

I think I need to start with the rug ASAP....I agree it will ground everything and give me a better perspective and feel.

Thanks everyone!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

@domarshe

Die laughing ? At least we know you won't be at the doctor, sporting some deadly disease or who knows what.......and then post on Facebook with " Well yes, he did have several guarantteed cures for me, but honestly, I think I'll go back to Urgent Care. I didn't care for his DELIVERY. Ya know......... the potential bedside manner thing" : )

hahahhahaahah Back to cleaning ! good luck and yes, fun with rugs.

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Ital mover what is your problem ? Nothing better to do today? These are real designers giving their professional opinions. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ Really sick of the lack of respect they get on this forum while freely giving their time and opinions. She hasn’t said one thing rude. Personally the first drawing is the only way that LR should look.