SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monica_drury

Anyone buy from Hoodsly??

Monica
3 years ago

Has anyone bought a hood from Hoodsly? I like the ability to customize juts afraid to plunk down a lot of money without knowing more

https://hoodsly.com

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I dislkike wood hoods so not much help IMO they get grubby ans over time discolor and never make sense to me above a steam, and grease generating appliance

Monica thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Patricia - "Dislkike", "ans"? Maybe you should wait until after the second cup of coffee in the morning before typing anything?

(sometimes you have to give regulars that give good comments a hard time)

I agree with Patricia.

• Related Discussions

Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?

Q

Comments (35)
    I love my tub. My recommendation even if you don’t use it all the time, do a cleaning once a month following their recommendations of dishwasher detergent 1/4 cup, hot water Over jets for 10 minutes. Empty and fill with cold water over jets and run 15 minutes. I have been trying for months to clear the gunk out of line. My understanding is that they used ridged lines for plumbing. It gets stuck in there. I am on my 41 cleaning of filling the tub and using cleaning process. Good luck.
    ...See More

Anyone buy from Posh Living?

Q

Comments (1)
    Never mind. I found some bad reviews on them, and also found the same duvet cover on another website for $120 less. It took some searching because it was discontinued by Pinecone Hill a while ago.
    ...See More

Did anyone buy any Hellebores from Bluestone in February?

Q

Comments (3)
    I love Pine Knot. Actually drove there for their spring sales at their nursery last year. (2 or 3 hour drive) Bought hellebores and epimediums. (Garden Visions epimediums was there.) I have lots of hellebores which I have picked up from Pine Knot and elsewhere. Some are reseeding like crazy. And by the way the hellebore I got from Trader Joe’s was extremely rootbound. Had to slice the rootball along the sides to cut off the bound roots. Bluestone sometimes discounts in late spring early summer so I will be looking out for them.
    ...See More

Anyone have any experience buying a sofa from Blue Dot?

Q

Comments (0)
    I’m thinking of purchasing a sofa from blue dot. Does anyone have any experience with them?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Grayleaf Studio
    3 years ago

Hi there, if you are looking for some of the styles Hoodsly offers but don't want to use wood, feel free to check out our website as we are able to make the same designs but we use metal, which stands up to the heat and cleans a little easier. If you have questions please don't hesitate to message me!

grayleafstudio.com

Monica thanked Grayleaf Studio
  • User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The whole thing is unappealing and sketchy. Starting with one of the stupidest names imaginable, finishing with a ick product. That’s enough to run right there. Marketing jeanyuses. 🙄🙄

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

I saved Greyleaf's site address. Nice stuff. Like to have resources as things change.

A client just received their "box" hood order from Hoodsly. Looks like a legit brick and mortar fabrication shop in Colorado that I looked up on google maps.

One should always research and/or when sending money have a back up plan and/or leverage.

There are new brands daily, some with zero links, zero phone number or email address, etc. that clients find on otherwise well known 3rd party sites. I don't risk my client's projects on them.

Monica thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • desi84b
    3 years ago

Hi! Did you buy Hoodsly? If so how was the product? I love one of the curved models.

• mags_and
    3 years ago

I'm leery of spending $1k plus on any site that has a St. Patrick's Day sale. Kidding! Sort of. I have come across this site a few times. Curious to hear from folks who've purchased on the site.

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think we are going with a custom cabinet guy and he will make the hood. But I too would love to hear from someone who has one. More interested in how it lasts over time.

• desi84b
    3 years ago

Thanks!

• Therese N
    3 years ago

Yes. I bought one for our current reno late 2020. We are waiting for better weather and our backsplash install to complete installation, but we hung it up temporarily. Shipping was bizarre. It was in a giant box loose and sitting on a single piece of bubble wrap. It slid around inside enough to bump the corners and rub off the paint. We were given touch up paint. Once we brought in the house it was quickly evident that the finish (plain black paint) was very matte and would burnish with every touch (yes, clean, dry hands). Dust was clinging to it and wiping it with a swiffer did nothing. Damp cloths also left marks. We eventually sent it to the same painter that did our cabinets for a complete repaint in a more washable finish. It cost us another $200. Hoodsly not only did not contribute or offer any compensation, but blew me off with very little response. One other negative is the way they contour the sides. They back cut the plywood and bend it - which is fine, but the layer of compressed particles began to disintegrate and drop sawdust at every touch. It wouldn’t have been such a problem if it hadn’t needed to be handled as much with the extra painting, etc. I’m not entirely unhappy with it, however. It was built to specs, the Broan fan is nice (though it’s not hooked up yet), and they were very helpful when I ordered. I like the two- piece construction and that it’s made here. It’s also a fraction of what a similar metal hood would cost with nearly the same effect.
    Bottom line: the hood is nice and budget-friendly, the finish and customer service sucks. Get yours unfinished and get it stained or painted somewhere else.

Monica thanked Therese N
  • User
    2 years ago

Visible wood underneath doesn’t lend confidence that they understand engineering for fire safety or cleanability. That should all be stainless.

• Guga Moura
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Scheduled a 15 minute call with them from their website to help me place the order. They couldn't make it, but were prompt in responding to my question over e-mail afterward. I recommend contacting them over e-mail as opposed to phone if you need their support. Will update once I get my order!

• Monica
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We decided to go with a custom cabinetry company that did my current kitchen and they are making a good to match. I'm really happy with the quality of my cabinets now so hopefully they know what they are doing!

• PRO
    Fine Lines LLC
    2 years ago

I did and they were absolutely fabulous to work with. They rushed the product thru for me ( which is unheard of given our raw materials shortages currently) and I was more than ecstatic over the quality. The ability to customize features was really desirable for my project. I was able to blend my hood into my design scheme seamlessly, making it look like it was custom made with the cabinets. I encourage you to go forward with your plans on using them! You won’t be disappointed. 👍👍👍👍Beth

• Kevin Garrison
    2 years ago

The ventilation that is offered on our website covers the entire bottom portion of the hood. We do not require customers to order ventilation from our site, however, our recommendation is that the insert utilized is at a minimum covering the width of the cooktop, which meets national building codes and is the proper height above the cooktop.

Our hoods are inspected daily all across the US and meet code requirements.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I once bought a furnace fan motor out of the back of a van in a parking lot of a fast food restaurant in Detroit.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Completion photo. Client bought it unfinished. We delivered to our cabinet maker to finish. Easily installed.

Thank you Hoodsly!

• PRO
    2 years ago

@User

Of course and I'm sure ours could in this instance.

Hoodsly fills a void. Client ordered a package with a compatible @Z Line Kitchen and Bath hood. Many homes are built without the services of a custom cabinet maker. Most on the houzz site prefer factory cabinets which have limited options. Some clients prefer to "point & click" their decisions.

• PRO
    2 years ago

We source from custom cabinet builders with integrated paint shops. Furniture finish.

• PRO
    2 years ago

@User Have you built a home in today's internet environment? Extreme transparency regarding costs and pricing. There's no room for freebies and kickbacks. This is chump change.

Clients are always well intended when they independently make purchases for the properties they already own. Some of which we can work with, some not.

Sometimes we pick our battles. This was an easy win for the client who wanted to contribute to his project.

I doubt anything here results in net sales increases for a vendor, as most times vendors are tagged its a negative.

• kathydel
    2 years ago

I also ordered a custom hood from Hoodsly. Great product, easy to customize and fast delivery. I would highly recommend!

• wgwire
    2 years ago

January, 2022.

I had Hoodsly build me a semi-custom wood hood for my kitchen (the custom part was the color of the stain). About everything wrong that could go wrong with an order happened here. I was one step away from having this become one of the worst experiences a consumer could have. So, why am I giving this company a four-star rating? Simple: They acknowledged the problems, accepted responsibility, fixed everything, gave me a completed, perfect hood and refunded my full purchase price for the delay and my trouble. When was the last time a company showed this much integrity and consideration for a customer without being threatened by a lawsuit, a bad review or a government agency? I didn’t have to do any threatening. What went wrong with the order is less important at this point than Hoodsly's response. Suffice to say that there were problems in communication and order fulfillment. What is important is that Hoodsly went above and beyond what was needed to fix the problem as soon as it was brought to their attention and in the end delivered a perfect product. I can tell you this: No construction vendor can give you a guaranty of a relationship that will be 100% mistake or problem free. What you hope for is that the company/contractor/vendor will stand behind its product. Hoodsly did it for me.

Bill Gwire

• Guga Moura
    2 years ago

Ordered a hood from Hoodsly and it came out beautiful. I sent them an email asking about a custom vent insert, they noted the dimensions and the order matched it perfectly. The finish is the only thing I say doesn't completely match something done on-site by a cabinet company (if you look very closely at the corners you can notice the finish not being perfect) ... but it's 95% of the way there and you can always pay someone to touch it up or do it yourself.

Also, a little piece of the trim broke and they sent me a new one in a week no questions asked.

• HU-893167331
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Most of the people that we dealt with were nice, but their quality control is HORRIBLE. We ended up wasting two months and had to scrap everything Hoodsly built. We had to pay for junk removal. Here is our story: we placed an order for the simple box hood cover with walnut trim in March 2021 for a new custom home. The hood cover was delivered in June/July 2021. When our blower was finally delivered in January 2022 we found out that Hoodsly incorrectly built the hood cover. It was short by two inches and the walnut trim was not the correct size (short by over an inch). We immediately contacted Hoodsly and they apologized and agreed to remake the hood cover. This FIRST error caused us to delay our HVAC inspection, so this FIRST mistake caused almost a one month delay. However, at least Hoodsly said they were going to correct it asap. After multiple calls (including facetime calls) and multiple affirmations on the size, they said the corrected hood cover was in production and that it would take about a week to produce. Fine. We exchange more emails and facetime, to make sure they have the correct dimensions. They assure me they will make things right. I even spoke with the CEO and he refunded me $500 (however, at this point this mistake has costed more than $500).

Then we asked about shipping and their customer service rep assured me it would be delivered to Seattle, WA in 2-3 business days. I asked her multiple times, "are you sure?" She replied, "I've been doing this for xx years, yes, I'm positive." Great. So we schedule our installers to install the remade hood cover a couple of days after the rescheduled date. A few days later, we receive a call from the shipper that the hood cover would be delivered, not in the 2-3 days, but instead at least 5-6 days. I asked, and the shipper said 2-3 days is impossible. I called Hoodsly back and asked what was going on; apparently, the person whose been doing this for xx years and coordinating the shipping doesn't know the difference between Washington DC and Washington State. So now, I have to try to reschedule the installers (who are already super busy) causing additional delays. By this time, our home is sitting, and our builder can't do anything until the hood is installed and our inspection is complete. Fast forward a few weeks, and the new hood cover is finally delivered. The installers come over and start measuring again to make sure we have it right. Well, Hoodsly messed up AGAIN! This time they made the hood cover depth too short, and so the blower still does not fit. In addition, the walnut trim that they sent was the wrong size and not even for the correct hood cover (according to the Hoodsly builder). So I jump on multiple calls and facetime calls with Hoodsly and their installers, and they apologize again and said they would remake it for a THIRD time. I even spoke to the actual builder of these hood covers. Apparently, Hoodsly doesn't even make these. Hoodsly is a middle man that contracts with another company to make these. Hoodsly is just an online presence. They admitted that they have communication issues that they are still working through.

Anyway, after at least two months of delays and thousands of dollars, we throw in the towel. We did not trust that Hoodsly would make this correct. for the third time. We could not take the risk for more delays. We asked the builder and carpenter if they could use the wrong hood covers somewhere else or for another project, as we hate wasting. However, they said, it was just scrap and it would be cheapest to just haul it to the dump. We then had to pay for junk removal to haul the covers and all of the packing material for the two wrong hoods to the dumpster. Such a waste of time, money and resources, and all we received from Hoodsly was an apology and our refund. AGAIN, a waste of time, money and resources! We ended up hiring finish carpenters to finish our hood installation and our kitchen, which costed thousands more, and more delays. In the end, Hoodsly caused us to delay the closing of our home by at least two months and costed us thousands of dollars.

****UPDATE****Minutes after posting this review, Hoodsly's contacted me and I spoke with the CEO. He again apologized for the mishap and they provided satisfactory compensation. I appreciated that they wanted to make this right despite us not being able to use their hood.

• Chris C
    last year
    last modified: last year

I've had an awful experience with Hoodsly. Ordered May 18th. Hood was finished June 2. It's now July 9th and I still don't have a hood. First it was shipped to the wrong address in Fort Worth - I live in Dallas. It took many calls and emails for them to figure this out. Finally I received the hood. The packaging was terrible and the hood was damaged. Two different people assured me they could rush a new hood in 5 business days. That was June 27th. As of July 9th Mercedes has no idea where the hood is and this mess had delayed an entire move and cost me thousands $$$ while I've had to postpone other trades and inspections that require the hood to be installed first. When I call or email no one ever knows exactly what is going on or where my hood is. I figured out the reason for this lack of communication with 'the warehouse' is because Hoodsly doesn't make these hoods. Hoodsly is merely a retail seller of hoods made by a wholesaler. I selected Hoodsly because they seemed to be the most professional of the 'custom hood' sellers. Big mistake - for a $3000 custom appliance this has been a joke. There are other and cheaper vendors that sell the same hoods and I'll look elsewhere next time.

• allikit229
    last year

I love my Hoodsly hood so much! It was t
    He perfect addition to my kitchen. I definitely recommend it if your looking for a reasonably priced hood.

• mmannarino
    3 months ago

Do NOT buy from Hoodsly!! I got my hood, paid an extra $850 for a paint match and the color is NOT the same. It also came in a flat finish which doesn't match the finish of the cabinetry. To add insult to injury, the customer service is terrible. They ”escalate” the issue only to ignore you and hope you go away. Do yourself a favor and get the matching hood from the cabinet company you buy from, the cost will basically be the same.

• allikit229
    3 months ago

I’m sorry that happened and I hope that they make it right and refund the painting cost. That shouldn’t happen.
    I love my Hoodsly Hood!
    However, I had it painted by my cabinet guy and it was expensive. People can charge anywhere from $600 to 4,000 to paint a hood. I shopped around. The only way to really match a color exactly is to use the same brand of paint on everything. Even so colors age over time and the same paint color looks different next to a brand new hood. They will eventually all age to the same. I hope this helps and you get some resolution.

• Magnolia C
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I had a great experience with Hoodsly in 2022. I ordered it and had it shipped directly to my cabinet guy who sprayed it the same color and finish as my cabinets. It does not get dirty or greasy. This house has now been sold and we will be installing a Hoodsly hood again in the new kitchen design.

• Susan Rago
    9 days ago

I recently purchased a Hoodsly hood for my future kitchen and LOVE IT. They made it to my exact specs and the insert I purchased (Sinda) fixes like a glovee. They make the hoods in 2 pieces so it's easy to install and do it perfectly. I purchased it unfinished so I can keep the lower band a natural wood, and the rest will be spray painted. Love it!