SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariah_m25

How do I fix this door problem? Large crooked gap under door and more!

Mariah M
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We bought a house with an absolutely horribly done addition mudroom. The currently critical issue is the incredibly leaky doorway (air not water). Massive gaps all round, though it looks like they put weather stripping on to no/little effect. There is something missing at the bottom of the doorway leaving a crack an army of mice could march through, in formation.
Id like to stop hemorrhaging heat and inviting miniature guests in, for now. Leveling out the floor would also nice, but i suspect that will be more involved and costly.
It looks like the frame wasnt finished? (Lots of the frames in the house look like that, actually.) And the windows DEFINITELY were not.
For the floor Im pretty sure they tiled right over concrete, definitely didnt level it at all. The old basement stair top is just protruding in the room and for some reason they put baseboards around the old weatherworn concrete. Its... absurd.
Photos of the doorway and windows attached (i hope)

EDIT: thanks everyone! With the info here (and a lot of YouTub) I’ve got a clear idea on how to progress.

Comments (7)