SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athyriumdesign

Revising ALL of the exterior colors on our house- help please!

Athyrium Design
3 years ago

We recently bought this home and love a lot about it- except for this terrible colonial blue they used for EVERY detail of the house outside of the pink brick. I have made a couple of choices but nothing is locked in and I'd love some feedback.

• I think we've settled on GAF Charcoal roof
  • And we're 99% sure we want to get new Pella windows in Vanilla Cream before they discontinue the color (we have to commit in three days).
  • If we go with Vanilla Cream windows, I think SW Alabaster is the closest color for trim.
  • We're going to add Fypon colonial crossheads over the 2 downstairs windows and remove the door shutters and add Fypon pilasters and crosshead over the doors. (I'll happily take advice on proportions of the Fypon. I have CAD mockups of different sizes)
  • Long term plan is to add a portico, but we have a lot to do before then, so let's just skip that for now.
  • We are in agreement that we are NOT going to paint the brick in the next 10-20 years, if ever.

So my questions are as follows:

• Black shutters? Seems safe. We're using SW, so Tricorn? Other suggestions are welcome. The front of the house is northern exposure and it's in the shade all day 365 days a year. Colors will likely seem darker on the front and washout in the back (southern exposure, no shutters)
  • We don't have frieze board and don't have room to add it. Could I paint the gutters dark (black or other) and paint the soffit the trim color to add depth? I'm very afraid of ending up with a stark white line under all of our hip roofs.... If we go with the contrast, would the fascia match the soffit?
  • Should downspouts be the gutter color or painted to disappear? To blend into the brick I'm back and forth between SW Meadowlark and Pottery Urn. There may be others to consider too.
  • I've read so much about garage doors matching trim. I'm afraid they'll be too bright though. Could we do garage doors to match the shutters and still keep the trim light? Shorter-term plans are to replace the garage doors with wood or wood-look to compliment the front door, but we're not quite ready and can't live with blue garage doors

I know we need landscaping. I'm a landscape designer and dying to get this exterior work done so I can get some beds in!!! Thanks in advance for any and all input!!

Comments (13)