SaveComment111Like
Comments (111)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
satine100

Maybe a condiment server?

Save    
Embothrium

In the US it would of course be for mustard and ketchup.

Because all we eat is hamburgers and hot dogs.

2 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

It’s for caffeine freaks who need two cups of coffee in the morning....at the same time.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

A shampoo station for hanging mustaches

6 Likes Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Double eye bath

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

It’s for caffeine freaks who need two cups of coffee in the morning....at the same time.

HG, for some Canadians, that would be a double double double.

3 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Except that it has what appears to be a hole on the inside I think it is a mold for individual steamed puddings/cakes./savories. Alternative would be a cup to feed babies two different foods.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

double double double

LOL!!!

Save    
Judy Good

Maybe for salad dressings?

Save    
jemdandy

That would be easily tipped over making it a precarious vessel on a table, although, who knows what fad it may have been intended to serve. My guess is it held condiments that were used sparingly and the 2 handles made it easy to pass from one person to another (or two handles are there for symmetry).

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

The handles are angled in a way that implies they’re designed to be used two handed by one person. The white china looks medical to me.

Save    
clearwaters

It's an ice pop mold.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va

It's a salt and pepper dispenser before the shaker part was invented.

Save    
kathy

Treat container for a dog and cat.

Save    
socks

You could ask on the Antiques & Collectibles forum. It's so "tippy."

Save    
roxsol

Dessert moulds maybe? Or?

“Spanish Paps, Pirimidis Creams and Steeple Creams were all moulded in ‘an old fashion drinking-Glasse’. When released from their glasses each little cream would pop out in the form of a miniature steeple, thus one of the popular names for this type of dish. Spanish Paps, so called because they were reminiscent of little b reasts, were thickened with ground rice, while Pirimidis and Steeple Creams were a type of opaque white jelly rendered solid with various types of collagen.“

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I would use that to make two different flavors of jello. :)

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

If it’s a mould why the lid? And why the handles?

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

I wondered that too, floral.

Maybe the lid is to cover it while the mould is setting (keep nasties out) and the handles...well...are just handles.

It doesn’t look too practical whatever it is.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

How about ice cream cone holders while you are making an ice cream cone?

Or an eyewash? (Reaching here)

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

For eyewash, as floral & roxsol suggest?

Wondering about the actual size, since it's hard to determine from the photo.

On further consideration, if it were for eyes, wouldn't the rim be different?

It does suggest some sort of a mold, but the interior that's visible looks a lot less smooth than the exterior...

Save    
Lars

It looks like it would be good for holding pickles, carrot/celery sticks, or bread sticks, but only pickles would work with the lid. Perhaps the lid is not used with all of its options.

Maybe it holds oil and vinegar, and comes with small ladles for serving.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

I think maybe a servant walks around the room holding it and you dip a spoon or something in it.

Save    
roxsol

Lars, I wondered about that.

I have an old salt and pepper set (cellars not shakers) that also comes with a small mustard pot. There are teeny tiny spoons that come with the set.

Save    
maifleur03

Without actual dimensions it is very difficult to tell what it is.

Process of elimination should show that it is not made from drinking from as if you drank from one side you would be spilling it from the other on yourself. Not a loving cup where two people drink from the same container at the same time because of the small distance between the cups. A lid means it was used to keep things in or out, insects/dust. Although it may not go with the two handled dish. Which leaves a mold, two handled serving dish, or just one of those things to make a gift seem more than it is. Perhaps the OP can return to the FB page and someone has identified it.

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

The thickness of the china and the rough and ready moulding make me think medical rather than tableware.

2 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

My guess is salt and pepper cellars. Could have come with a tiny scoop/spoon? I would definitely use it for that if it was mine.

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I don’t see it being a cruet. That wouldn’t have the angled handles and wouldn't there be separate lids for the salt and pepper? And the shape is impracticality deep. Open cruets would be shallower. And if it had spoons the lid would have nicks for them.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

I'm very curious. It looks fairly deep for s&p cellars, but I could see using it for that.

Maybe in a bathroom for Q-tips and cotton balls?

Save    
nickel_kg

I wish someone would find a definitive answer, it's driving me crazy!

2 Likes Save    
Lucille

Egg cups? This is a vintage piece on Etsy:

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Whatever it is the lid would need to fit on it when it contained whatever it was designed to hold if the lid is for it.

Save    
joann_fl

Is there any way we can find out what it is?

Save    
chloebud

Lucille, that seems the closest so far, although it looks a little deep for egg cups to me. Maybe it's not as deep as it looks.

LOL, we need an answer!

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Egg cups wouldn’t be conical and they wouldn’t have a lid. And there’s still the question of the two big angled handles. To me that is clearly implying it’s meant to be grasped with two hands.

Save    
maddielee

Maybe a holder/mold for parchment when making Cuban Capuchino Cake? Just a guess. I have no idea why there would be a top.

1 Like Save    
Cherryfizz

Maybe an egg coddler but unlike one I have ever seen

Save    
Lars

I just hope that my sister does not give me one for my birthday.

Whatever it is, we all seem to have done very well so far without one. Maybe in the distant past it was more relevant.

11 Likes Save    
maddielee

...or a fancy Piloncillo mold? Here’s a wooden one. Piloncillo is a Mexican brown sugar.. Finished product in the 2nd photo.

Save    
morz8

I haven't seen either an egg coddler or salt pepper cellar tapered like that. I hope someone has something definitive to say about it soon. Hate a mystery '0)

2 Likes Save    
chloebud

^Yes, the tapered part is puzzling.

Save    
Lucille

"I just saw it on Facebook and not I am curious"

Is there any way you can go back to where you saw it and ask about it?

Save    
sushipup1

The size of the thing will make all the difference in this discussion. If it's 2" tall or 3" or 4", would make a big difference.

Save    
Michele

Any marking on the bottom? This is slightly annoying. I wish someone knew.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

What happened to joann?

Save    
Lucille

What happened to joann?

It is possible that the object in question is one of a little known unique group of kitchenware which, like the genie oil lamp, calls forth a supernatural being who grants wishes when rubbed. she may have washed it, and then innocently, rubbed it by drying it with a tea towel, calling forth the being within.

If, at the same time, she was talking to herself and said 'I wish I was in --------', well, that is where she may be.

And I'm hoping she wished for some luxurious Covid-free sun kissed south sea island paradise where handsome attendants bring one cool beverages in pineapples with little umbrellas on them, while one is stretched out on a oh so comfortable lounge chair on the seashore, with the sound of waves gently lapping the sand.

9 Likes Save    
sushipup1

I like Lucille's story best of all.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va

It's an overnight bedside container for people who have 2 glass eyeballs....

.....but whatever it is VgQn thinks that it has 2 handles to use for passing around from person to person, such as in a dining at a table setting.

2 Likes Save    
bpath

vgkg, took me a second but I like your and vgqn’s usernames!

1 Like Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Because the handles are attached at an angle I think it’s intended to be held in two hands by one person. I think we’re looking at the back from the user’s point of view.

....if they are at an angle..... more photos would be good.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va

I see what you mean about the angle Floral, had not noticed that before. ....maybe it's for passing around a round table ;-).

Save    
chloebud

Was so hoping there would be an answer here this morning. I think I've googled every description I can think of with nothing coming up.

1 Like Save    
sjerin

It strikes me as a container for British-style puddings.

Save    
joann_fl

Thank you for the good laughs, I don't think I can get back to the original post on FB but I will try. 🤣

4 Likes Save    
Rusty

I tried to Google (Google images) it, no luck. And I thought Google knew everything!

Rusty

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Hubby said he thought it might be a bathroom counter storage container for tooth powder and brushes. I'm thinking about cotton balls and swabs - or shaving brush and soap?

I still don't get the handles tho...

1 Like Save    
chloebud

"I'm thinking about cotton balls and swabs..."

Carol, swabs and cotton balls was my suggestion earlier. Seems it would work even if it's not the intent...? I agree about the handles, and the lid makes me think it wasn't intended for toothbrushes or toothpaste. Such a mystery!

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Being narrower at the base than at the top and wider and heavier at the top too, and with a small footprint, I don't think it would be very stable on a counter. Easily toppled over with a shake or motion from people walking in the room.

I think it's a hoax. ;-)

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw

I think floral got it on Sunday. There used to be all sorts of weird contraptions for bathing eyes, single and double. They often were fairly crude looking affairs and some actually required that you press the thing to your eye and tilted your head back which sounds rather damp to me but people ordered them from magazine ads and of course they turned out to be some sort of joke. Never being actually used they survived in good shape. I suspect that this is one of those. Still with no size information?

Save    
beesneeds

Sippy cup for a vampire? Milking cup for large snakes? Medical use of a pee pot to take two urine samples at once? Hehehe. A bit more seriously from other folks posting about sugar and pudding molds- puts me in mind of the sugar cones used in German Feuerzangenbowie.

And it might just be the photo angle, but for some reason that lid does not look like it's the same shape/size as the brim of the vessel. Like it wouldn't fit right if you tried it. It's also bothering me how smooth and even the exterior of the vessel is, but the insides of both cups look sloppy or patched, lumpy by comparison.

4 Likes Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Rest assured there is no “British style pudding” made in a thing like that.

And where is the OP? No input to add?

1 Like Save    
roxsol

It strikes me as a container for British-style puddings.

I can see it looking kind of like a steeple mould. It certainly isn’t as fancy as the ones made by Wedgewood and Staffordshire potteries but the shape is the same.

“these moulds were known as steeple moulds. They started life in the 17th century when cooks moulded blancmanges called steeple creams in the conical wine glasses of the day. In the 18th century, Josiah Wedgewood started making moulds. They remained popular during the nineteenth century and were still being made in the early 1900s by Spode. The reason for their popularity is the hilarity which the unmoulded blancmanges or jellies caused. The stepped cone creates a very unstable jelly which wobbles in a rather suggestive and amusing way.”

I don’t think that is what it is though. Again, why the handles?

2 Likes Save    
arkansas girl

I'm going to have to agree with Elmer on this, I think maybe it's just a hoax!

Save    
chloebud

Shaving mug? Do they ever have lids?

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va

fake newz, nyuk

Save    
Yayagal

make a cute flower holder

Save    
greenshoekitty

I showed it to my daughter who has( and sells) many English molds. She says it looks like a jelly mold. She doesn’t have that one, but has some that look very close to it.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

I'm going to have to with Elmer on this, I think maybe it's just a hoax!

Yes, but it is so much fun to hear all the guesses! I could post a whole bunch of my sewing or knitting projects and we’d be here all day trying to guess what I was trying to make. 😀

2 Likes Save    
chloebud

"I showed it to my daughter who has( and sells) many English molds."

greenshoekitty, did she mention if the lid was unusual?

Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

Leave it to the fudd character to add something positive to an interesting problem.

Save    
greenshoekitty

Some of them do, but not many Cholebud

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

If it's 2" tall, then salt and pepper, If it's 4", then two different condiments. All served with small spoons.

Save    
palisades_

Methinks it’s an apothecary piece used during a medical procedure where the assistant holds the handles with both hands, presenting to the doc who attends on a patient. the lid and the shape suggest a container of liquid/tinctures used in the treatments. That shade of ceramic white could be seen on other apothecary pieces such as mortar and pestle.

3 Likes Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

It doesn't look like a jelly mould to me. I've never seen one with handles And the inside,as far as we can see, doesn't have a pattern moulded into it. It looks rough. Does your daughter have any with handles, chloebud? If you filled it you’d end up with two connected cones with bumpy outsides.

And I still disagree on condiments and spoons. The lids would have cut outs for the spoon handles And each side would have a separate lid Imo.

I still think it’s something medical. If it is a hoax it’s still an existing object. So what is it? I do wish the OP would contribute.

Save    
foodonastump

What do you want her to contribute? She saw it, clearly doesn’t know what it is or anything more about it, can’t find it again.

”And I still disagree on condiments and spoons. The lids would have cut outs for the spoon handles And each side would have a separate lid Imo.”

Agreed.

And I disagree with the medical thing. If two substances are to be kept separate but yet held with two hands, why have them in one container where they could so easily contaminate each other.

Save    
Raye Smith

I also agree that it's most probably for medical purposes and although it appears to be porcelain may actually be enameled metal.

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I must apologise to the OP. I didn’t spot that she’d said she couldn’t find the Facebook item again. I thought she’d just gone silent.

How about a receptacle for milking a nanny goat? 😉

1 Like Save    
bpath

With two handles, it reminds me of a sugar bowl. I wonder if it is for two different types of lump sugar? You wouldn’t mind so much if they mix. And the cover wouldnt need holes for the spoons because you use tongs for lumps.

Save    
roxsol

My husband suggested it was a coffee mug for someone who could talk out both sides of their mouth. If they could do that, why not drink out both sides as well? 😀

3 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

It's a set of binoculars for a Private Detective . The lens are in the bottom. If he feels someone is also watching him, he can pretend he is

drinking something from it. The Lid is to keep the lens covered when not

in use and make it look more like a novelty coffee cup. His ad says, "The

Coffee Man Can Catch Your Man" Or, maybe I watch too many Detective movies?

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Could be a fly bonnet, hard hat style.

7 Likes Save    
joann_fl

I went back to Facebook to the original post and there is no information on this thing, no one is sure what it is. I do believe its real but what is it really used for?

Save    
maifleur03

I still think that with the assumption that it is over 100 years old be a sickroom or nursery item used to feed someone. The offset handles would make it easier to place the arm around a person so the cup could be in front of the person being fed while the other hand spooned food into them. From my reading both invalids and very small children were given small portions. I have also wondered given the size of the base if it was meant to be slid inside another container to perhaps keep things warm, Houses of that time were often cold.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

It's just odd it doesn't pop up somewhere through google searches. I think I've run out of descriptions.

Save    
maddielee

I posted the link to this thread over on the Antiques forum. Maybe someone there will know?

1 Like Save     Thanked by joann_fl
chloebud

Good idea, maddielee!

Save    
always_beezee

Beer with a chaser.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Just had a thought, and someone else likely already mentioned this, but it might be custom restaurant serveware for a duo of special sauces or something similar...

2 Likes Save    
joann_fl

I also posted it on Facebook to the public

Save    
joann_fl

Maybe a cup for Siamese twins?

Save    
beesneeds

Arm wrestling drink cup. It should also have separate cups that sit inside that, and they are missing. Nicer sets have both glass and stainless inserts- old school ones have tiny drinking horns, silver or pewter (or occasionally gold for higher entertainment winners cups) or carved stone. Even leather for traveling sets and training. The vessel is brought to the table with the lid on and the contents are revealed to the contestants at the table.

At the table, lid off. Contestants each take a handle with their off hand, and manage not to spill or break the cup during the wrestling match with their good hands. Winner might be rights to have both cups- or force the other to have them both :)

Extra points for doing the flaming drink challenge. Can also be used for food challenges.

The example in the OP is a training cup, or a first challenge kind of set. That's why it's fine on the outside, yet a bit crude on the inside. Likely had a pair of cups each in leather or even wood for soft learning and maybe a glass or metal set for more challenge.

Edit to add- if that scale is small, it might be a thumb or wrist wrestling set, hehhee.

1 Like Save    
arkansas girl

Made for someone to put their pair of glass eyes in at night? HA! That idea just popped into my head.

Save    
Lars

I thought of a use for it at a bordello👿, but I will not describe it because it is too gross🤢.

1 Like Save    
joann_fl

the glass eye holder was already on this list. Good one though!

1 Like Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

I threw this out to the folks on a travel forum I frequent. They are having fun trying to guess too. One poster recommended this site:

reddit - what is this thing

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

Latest guess is an egg coddler. Not my guess, somebody else's, but I looked egg coddler up and it's just possible.

Save    
matti5

My guess! At the breakfast table for Jam/jelly, white sugar/brown sugar.

When I saw the pic, I know I have seen something similar somewhere and I'm thinking it was Homegoods. It struck me as odd and now I wish I had inquired. I don't think it had a lid. This was probably a year ago.

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

All the suggestions for two different things eg jams, sugars, condiments don’t take into account the single lid. If it was two separate items I’d expect it to have two separate lids to avoid cross contamination when spooning out the contents. I’ve seen a lot of egg coddlers but never one like this. For starters the lid’s clearly not watertight and it usually has to be submerged to coddle an egg. And, again, why the double container and single lid? One egg would be going cold while you ate the other. Of course, there’s always the chance that it’s just really badly designed for its function. Maybe that’s why not many were made and we’ve never seen one 😉

Save    
bpath

I think for lump sugar (say, white and rock) it would work. Covered when not in use. Lumps tend not to fall into the wrong side, and if they do it’s A) not a big deal and B) easy to fix.

Save    
foggyj2

To me, it looks like something that is meant to be passed from one person to another. I think it's for salt and pepper. Covered when not in use.

Save    
chloebud

Darn...another day with no answer!

Save    
Raye Smith

I can't imagine that that was meant to be used a the table - it's plum ugly.

2 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

it is a speak piece ... everyone talks about it, but nobody knows

2 Likes Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

There are some pretty "colorful" guesses over on that travel forum involving body parts. hmmm.

Save    
terezosa / terriks

Did anyone post it on Reddit?

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

I'm not aware if anyone posted it on Reddit.

Save    
joann_fl

I went there (Reddit) but don't know how to post it, can someone do it for me?

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

isn't that the thing madonna 'wore upstairs' in the 80s-90s?

Save    
beesneeds

Ewww bragu, no. Even back then Madonna had better taste for her upstairs encasements that the OP vessel.

Save    
joann_fl

what is a OP vessel?

Save    
Lucille

The mystery object pictured in the first post by the OP, Original Poster, Joann.

Save     Thanked by joann_fl
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Inside Houzz How Much Does a Remodel Cost, and How Long Does It Take?
The 2016 Houzz & Home survey asked 120,000 Houzzers about their renovation projects. Here’s what they said
Full Story
Decorating Guides 7 Bedroom Styling Tricks Anyone Can Do
Short on time or money? You can spruce up your bedroom quickly and easily with these tips
Full Story
Mudrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Mudroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a utilitarian mudroom snazzier and better organized with these cheap and easy ideas
Full Story