SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmr1111

Screen or buff and recoat versus full sand & refinish HW floors

cmr1111
3 years ago

I recently purchased a 20-year old house with hardwood floors that are in excellent condition. (The previous owners, an elderly couple, only used the house for vacation 4-6 weeks per year.)

I’m trying to decide between a cost efficient screen & recoat versus a full sand & refinish. A few questions:

• How do I tell if I have white oak or red oak floors?

• I’m a little conflicted about the existing color. To my eyes, it reads a little yellow / orange, especially now after we painted the walls Super White by Benjamin Moore (a neutral bright white). But others have advised me that the color is “classic.” Any thoughts? My understand is that I can only change the color with a full sand & refinish. Is that correct? Or can I slightly adjust the color via screen and rebuff with a new tinted poly?

• I’ve been told that my existing finish is an oil-based polyurethane, which I understand tends to yellow with age. Will a screen and recoat scrape off the old poly, and therefore possibly reduce the yellow color?

• with a screen and recoat, can I change to a water-based poly that may be less yellow?

Many thanks for your help. Here are some photos of the existing floors.

Comments (4)