SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_canna

Do I need a project manager?

Rebecca Canna
3 years ago

HI all. I'm in the planning and budgeting stage of a MAJOR kitchen renovation/expansion. We are looking to bump out our kitchen into our back yard by about five feet. We are also looking to sort of combine the dining room and kitchen space (which is already somewhat open, but we are looking to open it more.

Of course we will need an architect and structural engineering involved for the kitchen bump-out and I have a GC that I'm pretty confident that I'll go with. My main question is about kitchen design and project management. I know that I definitely want to hire someone to help with kitchen design, but do I need to hire a project manager as well?

I spoke with one kitchen design place that offers project management services as well, but they want to charge me 22% of the cost of the entire project! That sounds a bit bonkers to me, but I have no frame of reference. It would obviously be much cheaper to just hire them for the design work (probably about 5k). I'm estimating that the overall project cost will be $100k - $150k. Is it worthwhile to pay an additional $20k or so for project management services?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)