SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blessdog

Datura Innoxia help for transplant...

blessdog
3 years ago

I've wanted to grow these plants ever since I discovered them on Cape Cod in the 1980s where they survive as perennials in the milder, offshore zone. To be honest, I don't remember observing their wintering over state, just that they definitely returned in the spring and matured and bloomed as 4-6 foot tall shrubs. I actually began reading about them in the 1960s in real time with Carlos Casteneda's books. On the Cape, my beloved, late mother painted luminous watercolors of the one that grew next to the entrance to her condo. I live in a much harsher environment in NH now and have been gardening heavily and organically on my 1770 property in the side of a hill. This past summer I ordered 10 seeds from a woman in Georgia on Etsy and planted them directly in the ground at the end of June. I almost gave up on them, but they finally emerged over 3 weeks later, and I eventually encouraged the 2 healthiest (out of 7) to develop into 8", very healthy little plants. Alas, it was running into late October by then! The growth was incredibly slow. Again I almost gave up on them, but on the night before the first hard frost, I transplanted one into quite a large (14w x 12h) container - really just threw it in and filled in around it with my good garden soil and heavy water. The soil even fell away from it's (tap root while I was doing this). It had weathered a number of near freezing nights and was so late in the season that I didn't expect it to survive despite it's still having very healthy looking leaves. After a week of no noticeable change, the leaves suddenly drooped completely. Again, I almost gave up and tossed it, but it miraculously revived overnight and has been going strong since. In roughly 3 months, it's almost tripled in size and number of leaves. The foliage is very strong and free from any problems whatsoever. I've fed it lightly once or twice with some liquid food watered in, but mostly just misted it and watered it heavily, maybe twice. The problem I'n having is that the plant is top heavy a bit and is wants to tip towards sunlight. I have it supported with some light twine and a long chopstick, but I'm concerned that the stalk (woody up until the branching) is not sturdy enough to support the weight of the plant as it grows. The stalk is roughly the size it was when I transplanted it - also as it's always been, thinner where it meets the soil. I'm wondering if anyone might have a suggestion as to how to improve this situation, either with nutrients or in some other way. I intend to keep it in this container and simply put it outside in the summer. Sorry for the long story, but I would dearly like to have it produce those incredibly fragrant, White Trumpets, and then seed pods to propagate it. Thanks for any thoughts, and ideas for it's care, generally.

Comments (10)