SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_929508223

All of the charm is gone!

Jeb zone5
3 years ago

Hello all, I live in a very small rural town, so small there is no grocery store, no library, no Starbucks! What we DID have for many years was a butcher shop in the village where I used to buy all of my meats, and home made bread. A couple of years ago it was sold and purchased by a new owner. The new owner got sick and couldn't run the shop so it sat empty and vacant for months before it was purchased by the current owner. The whole shop has been redone completely and I went there for the first time yesterday. It no longer has the bell on the door that rings when shoppers go in and out - it no longer has the chalk board with the days specials or their amazing deli sandwiches. It no longer has the same people working there that everyone knew by name - and they knew the names of all of their customers! The place is super slick now, there is jazzy looking tile from floor to ceiling - bright lights - flashy printed signage on everything. Something else I noticed was that the cases were not full - and that the price of things there had increased substantially. There was only one other customer in the store when I was there mid day yesterday (years ago it would have been full of shoppers) - yet neither of the two employees said anything to me as I looked at their offerings, not even a hello!! I left the store without buying anything and I doubt I will be back.

I am sure the new owner thinks the changes are all improvements but it just doesn't "fit" into the aesthetics of the surrounding town. I give them a year at best and they will be out of business.

Have any of you had a similar experience where a place that you once knew and loved was changed so much or "improved" that it just wasn't the same?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio