SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_521196651

Ferguson/Build difficulties

Terry
3 years ago

My builder uses Ferguson which I'm fine with. After meeting with a wonderful guy and choosing everything at the showroom, I got almost everything I wanted, The Ferguson guy helped me pick appliances, hardware, etc. He got me a vent hood from Build.com. But now that I want something else, he's saying he can't order it from Build. I'm trying to get shower stuff but I'm being told by the builder they don't order from Build either. How is this possible? I know for a fact that all the appliances came from Build as well as the vent hood I mentioned. I feel like I'm always being manipulated to not get the things I want and the builder is supposedly custom. Do they think I'm too dumb to realize that exactly what I ordered initially is from Build? The appliances, etc. aren't even on the Signature Hardware website. Advice, please.

Comments (28)

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

They are ensuring the commission path exists in compensation for the time you spent utilizing their knowledge. Even though Ferguson’s is Build, the salesperson doesn’t get commission on those sales. If you want this to run smoothly, you work with your sales person. You will not have the knowledge to select the correct components otherwise.

Terry thanked User
  • Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I get this. I just don't t have $11,000 to buy a refrigerator from their showroom. But I bought thousands of dollars of stuff at Signature too. I just want to buy a shower set in gold and Signature doesn't have any. I don't think the salesperson should've fibbed. He could have said, "we prefer." Is it really better to have a customer not gets what she wants? Also, the builder won't let me use anyone but Signature. So I have to sacrifice something in my custom dream home because he won't get a commision on one shower? I'm a salesperson too but I would never sacrifice my client's needs to make more money.

• Related Discussions

Opinions wanted on Houseplan: Degree of Difficulty to Build?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks muddy for your input- That's a very thoughtful suggestion, but the exterior will not look like that...we are going with different colors for the stone and brick and the garage is actually being moved at an angle to the side of the house instead of the rear. Based on rough sketches, this changes the overall "impression" of the house quite a bit. And yes, I realize the style is not for everyone. Just as Craftsman, Victorian, and Log homes are not for everyone. I know a person is always suppose to build with resale in mind...but I think life's too short to build a dream home that you have to compromise on because of "resale potential"...kinda defeats the purpose of even building a dream home, don't ya think?
    ...See More

A 4 week wait to get into a Ferguson showroom!!--a heads up for others

Q

Comments (21)
    "IMO a sink is one of those things that you can order online make sure it fit where you want it go stainless and good 16 guage" That was not the case for me. It was in a Ferguson's that I found the sink that rung my bell. It was the finish and the style that I could not find (no one else had it in a showroom) anywhere else. I actually ordered THREE sinks online trying to find one that I liked as well, and all of them were no comparison (I'm very particular LOL). That doesn't mean I could not have bought it somewhere else, but no one here carries the selection of sinks that Ferguson's does. NO one. I wound up ordering the sink from Ferguson's - and I am so glad I went in there. I love my sink. :-)
    ...See More

Keller supply vs Ferguson

Q

Comments (5)
    I went to a Ferguson showroom near me. The salesperson was pleasant and low-pressure, but she *did* very strongly encourage me to purchase ALL Signature Hardware (their brand) supplies (faucet, sink, tub, toilet, bath/shower trim kit...) for my remodel. Also, while I went because I wanted to see things in person, what was on-view in the showroom is far fewer items than available on Build.com website. I did ask her if she'd match Build.com's prices and her response was "we *are* Build.com. The prices are the same.
    ...See More

Difficulty selling our home with stairs

Q

Comments (7)
    Many people buy there for a vacation home, and in the winter that is a lot of steps. If you built a staircase into the slope to go to the back door, would that seem any less steep? It could at least be on the ground. You could get an estimate for having that done, and give the buyer a credit for that amount. Make sure the inside is spotlessly clean and cleared out as much as possible.
    ...See More
  • JJ
    3 years ago

Are signature and ferguson the same thing too?

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm not sure. My guy at Ferguson can order for me on Signature Hardware but don't know if they are the same co. It looks to me like they were aquired by Fer. in 2016. But they may function as separate entities. That's what makes it all so annoying and confusing.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Ferguson PLC is the parent company. Build.com is their E business. There may be some integration and sharing of recourses underway. Signature is also part of Ferguson.

Likely your builder has an account at Ferguson that offers terms, with the bill coming due 30 days post delivery. Build gets paid at order time. That could be a 2-3 month time period of carry as most lenders don't pay advances. Most builders (& lenders) have contract clauses requiring clients fund unusual material advances such as this with the exception of 50% deposits for cabinets, windows and doors if needed.

It's best from an organizational standpoint to minimize your sources and essentially have a project manager (Ferguson rep) oversee the entire order. They will be more aware of lead time issues and changes.

While we use both sources and have assigned representatives, Build, like most online sources, doesn't have up to date lead times and backorder data, so you may not get real shipping data for a couple of weeks.

With that said, Build.com is still the best online source we've found.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I've had generally good experiences with Build.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

I don't know anything more about Ferguson than I have seen in their showroom. However, you should get what you want, without question.

Tell the rep if he can't get what you want, then you want the absolute cheapest faucet they have and you will replace it later, on your own. And post an online review accordingly.

Is your fridge part of your build? Is it built in? Do you need it for a CO? Can you buy it online or from another vendor?

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The appliances were on target price-wise. That's because I didn't get anything fancy. I guess they can't mark up things drastically that you can shop at Home Depot. I guess they make their money on the high-end ones. And I do need a CO. I may use the builder's standard faucets which aren't an upgrade. But the issue isn't the price. It's that the guy at Ferg says he can't order anything at all from Build and I know he already did--because my vent hood is on Build but not Signature. Like any store, I would think Build buys directly from the manufacturer. My builder will only use my Ferg guy as a supplier so everything I want that's not at Sig H is always a battle. I should've done my research on what they considered "custom" but I had never built a house before and made some assumptions. The Builder even said they don't buy from Build. How is that possible when I know they did. Frustrating. And it's insane because I got a $7,500 allowance for appliances. Doesn't buy much.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"I feel like I'm always being manipulated to not get the things I want and the builder is supposedly custom"

"And it's insane because I got a $7,500 allowance for appliances."

Is the home custom or not as neither of the statements give me the impression it is a custom home? All of this should have been addressed in the contract, exactly who, what, where and how. Is this not the case? What type of contract do you have with the builder? What type of house is this developer/tract?

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They call themselves a custom builder. I have the contract but I guess I didn't understand enough. I should've had my attorney look at it.

• Rachel
    3 years ago

I recently worked with Ferguson on my new build. It seemed to me they were able to source just about everything. Perhaps give your rep the opportunity to source your shower hardware.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

@Terry I don't know why you figured that allowance is insane especially if you buying this home from a builder... He only has to provide a Stove, Dishwasher, and Hood and for that amount, you can get a set of decent appliances.

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jeffrey, I hope you don't think I'm being argumentative but I want to mention something. I had to pay upfront for all the tile overages. Also, in terms of getting things on time--I have to order EVERYTHING upfront. Once I sign off I have to pay $500 if I want to change anything. Even a minor thing like a towel bar. So they certainly can't claim my choices will slow down the building.

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

GN builders: Yes I can. I guess I should've been more clear. That's where I'm getting confused. The Ferguson showroom has its most expensive, upscale things. But when I said I didn't want an $11,00 fridge or a $10,000 stovetop they ordered me a reasonable one from the "catalog." I found it online myself and had to ask for it. Obviously, it comes from Build.com. But now they're telling me they can't order other things from Build.com. Also, I didn't mean to sound spoiled on the appliances. Everything is relative.

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Rachel! That's the point. They won't source anything. I want a LED showerhead in gold. They don't have one and won't find me one. There is a good company online called Fontana. I don't know the quality but $600 for a showerhead better be good quality. They won't let me buy and use it. Why should I pay for their showerhead when I have one from HD sitting in my closet? I am not handy at all and even I can screw on a showerhead. I look them up and they're universal. I hope I don't sound argumentative Just want to be fair to myself and the builder.

• L.D. Johnson
    3 years ago

Just a couple of thoughts - perhaps the Ferguson rep ordered your product from Ferguson, and the corporate system directed the shipment from Build, maybe for proximity or availability reasons. And your builder's reluctance to let you source and purchase products could tie back to warranty reasons. If they buy it from a known source and install it they have an established "chain of evidence" if issues arise. If you source it from a vendor they don't have a standing relationship with, that path gets more complicated. If you source a shower head and install it yourself, and there is a leak, then a real problem could arise in determining any liability - was the leak because you didn't use enough teflon tape on the shower head, or because the fixture coming out of the wall, which they installed, has bad threads. Etcetera......

• Rachel
    3 years ago

Terry, I understand your frustration! I wanted to be able to shop certain items during my build but was limited to Ferguson, but my store sourced everything. I may have paid a few dollars more on some items, but I understand that this was part of the contract and the builder's ability to manage their vendors. I wonder if you went with the included showerhead it it would be returnable after CO so you can put up your own. If you already purchased it from Build, you may want to talk to your builder and fall on your sword. Tell them you didn't understand that you couldn't do this because Fergusons had purchased from the previously. Perhaps this once they'll give you a pass.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Your rep sounds newish. Ask for their supervisor’s help. Politely. They should be able to back channel order anything that Build or Signature have. It is all the same company. Just different distribution channels. That does complicate things a great deal. But it can be done. They aren’t going to cut any deals though. It’s extra work.

Don’t even with a gold light up shower head. From any source. Just no.

Learn the difference between a tract build and a custom build more clearly before your next build. There’s a big difference in processes. And costs.

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Why no gold LED shower head? 😐 This is not a tract build. I own the land and they say they're a custom builder. One other comment which may be part of the problem for me.

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I saw one of the builders custom houses when I was looking for land and loved the design. So I sat down with the owner with a blueprint and he did EVERYTHING I wanted. Bigger pantry. No problem. Bigger rooms. Okay. Balustrade outside on the patio. Yep. I went into the design process thinking the same thing. i wish they would‘ve explained things but it’s on me I guess to understand the contract. But how is this situation custom?

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

I can't speak to the relationships between the various suppliers you indicated, but it is not unusual for a company to have separate sales/distribution/services/etc. for various divisions.

A number of years ago, a client of ours wanted to purchase their appliances through Sears Contractor Services which was not our approved supplier. They were able to pick appliances at a Sears retail location, but their appliances were ordered, delivered, and invoiced through the separate contractor services division. I recall the frustration when their refrigerator arrived damaged and needed to be replaced. There was an identical one available in local retail inventory, but they couldn't get it because the replacement needed to go through the separate contractor services division distribution network. After waiting two weeks, they eventually cancelled the order at Sears and purchased one through Ferguson. The kind folks at Ferguson even provided a small loaner refrigerator for the clients use while waiting for their refrigerator to be delivered.

• acm
    3 years ago

@GN Don't make assumptions. There are plenty of places where a fridge is expected to be part of the appliance allowance -- sometimes washer and drier too!

Terry thanked acm
  • akrogirl32
    3 years ago

We have not been particularly impressed with our interactions with the Ferguson locations in the Phoenix area. Too many young people who don’t know their stuff. Hopefully, they are better elsewhere.

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ms. Blueberry, you make many good points. I am outside of the contract. When I realized my mistake I asked if I could get the stuff I wanted and offered to pay more or amend the contract because of that. At this point, I am also thinking of a meeting with the manager where we talked about this, and he said the items I liked would be okay but that the design person would have to order them. That's fine of course. In fact, I think they're going to refund the things I don't use. I think part of the problem is the design person is strict and says one thing while the manager says another. That's why I went to sig hard to get most everything I didn't like that was the builder's standard. i.e . A farmhouse sink. Now that I've been thinking about this and seeing so many comments, I specifically remember the Ferg telling me to look for things on the Ferg/Build site. That's why I'm a bit annoyed now. The more I think about it, I should probably be grateful to the builder. I just think people should be upfront about stuff. I was led to believe Build was okay.

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I want to thank everyone. I'm new to these discussion groups and you all are so civil and share so much.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

Another thought - are you spending less than your allowances? Could the rep have calculated his commission based on the allowances and now feel he's not making as much as he thought he would? People are funny. He might feel you can afford more and are cheaping out - who knows!

I don't understand the role of your designer and why you are being pushed to make certain choices. I wouldn't want a gold LED shower head, but it's not my house!

My kitchen designer disagreed with my decision to eliminate a garbage disposal. But in the end, it was up to me.

• Terry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm wondering if you're correct about the commission. But he is the sole supplier for this builder so he must know some people are not going to spend as much. In fact, I'm over budget by a few thousand. But who knows what he gets paid on. I may have a beef about what I can order but the guy is great. Btw, the LED shower is gone. The response here has been the same as yours. That will take some pressure off because I will be using their supplier. Which is Ferguson. But it's on Build, which on the website says Ferguson, not sig hardware. Just don't get it.