SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrygirl2323

Polished Concrete vs LVP

countrygirl2323
3 years ago

We had a finished concrete floor in the basement of our last house. I’m not exactly sure what the process that was done to finish it, but it had a bit of a texture and color/stain added to it. The basement was a walk-out with in-floor heat and was attached to a second, lower level garage. The floor was great for durability since we have a hobby farm with horses, dogs, and the attached garage space was used extensively as a wood shop. What I didn’t like was the slight texture as it was harder to clean. Plus, I felt like “people” felt it might be too utilitarian and not well suited to a family room with bar and pool table.

We are in the process of building again, also on a hobby farm with horses, barns, etc, and debating the basement flooring. This basement won’t have the attached, lower level garage/shop that the last one did, but it will still be a walkout basement and have in-floor hear. The basement will again be used as a family room/bar/rec room area. There are also a couple bedrooms and bathrooms in the basement. We are debating doing a polished concrete floor (so it is smooth and not textured like our last one) or LVP flooring. Price isn’t much difference (polished concrete is slightly higher but we could actually probably save a little money if we just had them do polished concrete in the bathrooms too instead of the tile we have planned now). So, does anyone have thoughts on polished concrete for a family/rec area and maybe even bathrooms? Any pictures you can share if you done it in your home? Thoughts on how well the LVP would hold up compared to the concrete if we went that route? And what are your “perceptions” of polished concrete in a home?

Comments (14)