SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_742677606

need help with flooring prep!

james lemay
3 years ago

I am rennovating a house to live in. the thread can be seen here.
Check out this discussion on Houzz - https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6035582/1970s-ranch-update
I am trying to get my floor set up the best I can. I am leaning towards hardwood but I may go to a click and lock flooring.
the kitchen and living room had two layers of 5/8" ply on top of each other. I removed the top layer in the kitchen as part of my asbestos removal.
my plan was to just replace what I removed and be done with it but now I'm worried I'm not making the right choice.
So far I have screwed all of the first layer down in the kitchen. I have replaced three pieces becuase of delamination. Some remaining have a bit here and there too but I think it's acceptable.
The adjacent bedrooms have hardwood run PARALLEL with the joist on top of the first layer of 5/8". I will likely be removing this and giving these rooms the same treatment.
I think I'm stuck with either doing a second layer of 5/8" advantech or 5/8" cdx. I have learned the that second layer should not be glued and should only be screwed in the field. The only other option I see is removing the second layer in the living room as well and going with a totally different.
The current living room double layer squeak a lot. But it seems like I can chase it with screws. The first layer is perp to the joist. the second is parallel...
any suggestions, comments, thoughts, etc?
by the way. they're 10" joist spanning 13'. May not be the best but will do..

Comments (7)