SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_nathan

Advice Needed on Replacement AC Package Unit for Condo

Jill Nathan
3 years ago

Hello All,

I am in the process of collecting bids to replace my 30 year old Rheem 3.5 ton HVAC gas pack in my 1850 square foot condo and would love your assistance.
I am currently looking at 3.5-4 ton, 14 SEER gas pack units. I live in LA (but near the water so it does not get very hot OR cold too often). My condo is 1850 square feet (1600 sf on the main level and 250 sf on the top level which we hardly use).

We plan on staying here for at least 15-20 plus years I am looking for a unit that is going to last a long time, relatively easy and affordable yearly maintenance, good warranty, easily available and affordable replacement parts. I am NOT interested in a very high SEER rating or anything with too many bells and whistles as they may break down. I am willing to pay a little extra for a product that will last longer.

1- Given that good installation and warranties are the most important factor, how can I compare contractors aside from personal recommendations and google/yelp reviews?

2- In terms of heating, is a AFEU rating between 80-83% okay (we only use the heat MAYBE 60 days per year)?

3- Given that by 2023 California is requiring all new units to have 15 SEER rating, would you suggest I install that over the 14 SEER units I was considering?

4-In terms of warranties, what should I be looking for? It is my understanding that most manufacturers give a 10 year warranty. Should I be asking them to break it down into parts? If so, how many years should I look for in the: AC compressor? the heater? heat exchanger? How many years should i get for the installation warranty AND is this different from the labor warranty? If so, how many years should I look for the labor warranty? Are there any specific brands that are known for excellent service and easy warranty claims?

5-Do you recommend I sign a maintenance agreement with my contractor?

6- I know that good installation is the most important but any brands and/or specific models do you recommend that fall into my priority list above? I was leaning towards 1- rheem, 2- bryant and 3- trane. Any specific brands I should stay away from?

ANY advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you all in advance for your help.

Comment