SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_kelsey81

Steps to making low maintenance hardscaped yard in the PNW?

Alex Kelsey
3 years ago

Hey, y'all — I am a homeowner in Portland OR looking to create a hardscaped yard (gravel, pavers, decomposed granite) with low maintenance plants. We recently built a retaining wall and backfilled it with soil so that our front and side yard drain well (PNW is quite rainy) especially since we want to go for a more Xeriscape/ hardscape look. We still need a few more inches of topsoil we need to add to get the yard to the planting level that we would like.

We have all of the path, plants, planting location, and paver locations planned and mapped out, but the next steps are the hardest part for me to figure out...

• What rock do you recommend using for our yard? I was looking at Decomposed Granit for walkways and more large gravel for other areas? But we are in a very wet/ rainy region, so would it be best to go with courser gravel everywhere?
  • We will be using ground cover due to wanting to have rock laid down — how rock do we want to cover over the top of the ground cover? 1-2"?
  • What are the best steps for planting plants in a hardscape yard? Do you plant before you lay down the ground cover (plastic) and then put the gravel/ rock over the ground cover? Or do you leave your planting sections without ground cover, and simply put rock on top of the soil around the plants?
  • We are looking to also put down pavers — do we lay the pavers on top of the gravel? Or are we supposed to set the pavers first, then fill the yard with the gravel.

We are doing everything ourselves and really appreciate any insight! I have attached some photos of where the yard is currently (minus the Hawthorne tree, we took that out) inspiration photos so you can get an idea of rock/ material I am interested in, and I have also added my design plan/ layout, so you can get a sense of where things go.

Thanks so much for your help!

Design Plan:

Inspiration (would love to know what rock is used in these):

House Photos:

Comments (7)