SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Has anyone read Elizabeth Jane Howard?

IdaClaire
3 years ago

Forgive the stepping outside of the WAWR thread, but I hoped this wouldn't get lost in the shuffle. I recently read a book by a British author singing the praises of the 5-volume series about an English family named Cazalet that spans the period between the late 30s and 50s, and taking a chance, I ordered the set. The books are long (most are over 500 pages each) and at first seemed slightly daunting, but once I began the first I couldn't put it down. It's possibly one of the most endearing things I've ever read, in spite of it dealing with war and adult subjects that might "shock" some. The characters are beautifully developed, and just today I learned that the books were adapted into a miniseries in which the fabulous Hugh Bonneville starred.
Just read this in The Guardian about the author, Elizabeth Jane Howard:
"In recent years Elizabeth Jane Howard, who was always known as Jane, has become famous for a quartet of novels known as the “Cazalet Chronicles”, which draw on her own family story and were adapted for radio and television. Tracing the fortunes of an upper-middle-class family, the quartet begins in 1937 and covers a decade; a fifth novel, All Change, skips ahead to 1956. The novels are panoramic, expansive, intriguing as social history and generous in their storytelling. They are the product of a lifetime’s experience, and come from a writer who knew her aim and had the stamina and technical skill to achieve it. It would be rewarding if the readers who enjoyed the series were drawn to the author’s earlier work, when her talent seemed so effervescent, so unstoppable, that there was no predicting where it might take her. From the beginning she attracted superlatives, more for the gorgeousness of her prose than for the emotional extravagance of her characters. Their laughter was outrageous, their weeping contagious, their love affairs reckless. But there was nothing uncalculated about the author’s effects. From the first, she was a craftswoman."
So ... has anyone here read her work? I'm off to plunge into the second book. It's impossible to put down at this point.

Comments (13)