Chef's Table: BBQ Season

Jasdip

I just watched an episode of this tv show. A Netflix documentary. A BBQ joint in Lexington, Texas won awards over the years and people drive hours for their barbecue. An 85 yr old wonder women (think of an older Annie!) is the cook and pit master.

Everytime I see brisket done like this, man do I ever want some. I've never had it.

SaveComment26Like3
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lars

That's about an hour from where I grew up, but we never drove that far for BBQ, although I can imagine people from Austin doing that. Normally, they go to Elgin, which is much closer.

There are places in Austin that have great brisket as well. Typically, it is served on brown paper instead of plates, but that cuts down on the cost/overhead, etc. People in Austin are famous for being cheap. I like Texas BBQ the best, possibly because that's what I grew up with.

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Yeah, but doesn't it take a tough man to make a tender brisket? Ha!

Nice to see professional BBQ is not for men only.

My idol is seven-time winner Melissa Cookston.

dcarch

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

A fellow drove from California spoke to "Tootsie" the female cook and said he's tried bbq in several states and theirs; Snow's BBQ was the best he's ever had.

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

I loved the calm atmosphere.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I was surprised to see the variety of meats they offer. I've been to a few BBQ joints in the DFW area that only served brisket and beef ribs. Snow's menu seems to be similar to BBQ joints you'd find here in Kansas City, the BBQ capital of the world. Although I may have missed it, I didn't see any pork or beef ribs, nor brisket burnt ends.

ETA: I just googled their menu and they do offer pork spare ribs.

Below is a youtube video of one of the iconic BBQ joints in KC. Anthony Bourdain had it on his list of 13 places you need to eat before you die.

Joe's Kansas City BBQ.

Save    
blfenton

I remember Anthony Bourdain doing a segment on a barbecue place but don't remember if it was Joe's place or not. The food did look really good.

Save    
ladypat1

From Kansas city= best BBQ ever, followed by Rosedale BBQ. I have family in Texas so I have had much Texas BBQ. Different but good. Can't get used to pinto beans though, ick!

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

The one thing you should take away from this show is that barbecue is simple cooking. There's no need to get fancy. Meat, rub, smoke, and time; that's all you ever need.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

Joe's is over rated based on the few times I have been dragged there by out of towners. Perhaps on the weekends when they have their full menu available they might reach my OK list. I do like Rosedale, LCs, and several others but each does one thing well. I do not want my ribs to slide off the bone because that tells me they were oven cooked then smoked. I would rather the procedure be reversed so that they actually have a smoke ring and are slightly reddish in the meat. I am still looking for what I used to eat as far as ribs go when I worked at 19th and Vine. Those were put in the smoker as it was cleared from the lunchtime group then slowly cooked overnight.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Maybe it's just me and my perspective of living in a diverse area but both the customers and the workers in both videos seem surprisingly undiverse. White bread. Few or no African Americans, few with an apparent HIspanic appearance, few others. What's up with that?

I agree it's simple cooking. I've been to popular "BBQ joints" in many different places - certainly several in Texas, KC, parts of the south - and none ever knocked me over. I can get reasonable results with BBQing (not smoking) meat at home and only slightly doctored sauce, I've never understood what the big deal is with some of these places.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Elmer - Kansas City BBQ is as diverse as it could be but if you had actually been to several BBQ joints in Kansas City as you say you would know that already. No, you won't see many Asians or Hispanics cooking the BBQ but then you don't see many white or black people working in Chinese or Mexican restaurants either. The black community is the foundation of all BBQ in the country. Why did you feel the need to bring up race?

Here are a couple videos to prove it.

Gates BBQ

Arthur Bryant's

Maifleur - I used to get LC's a lot years ago and it was great but when I went there a year or so ago their BBQ wasn't up to par. Dry ribs and the brisket was very fatty. Maybe they were having a bad day but I doubt I will give them another try.

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

BBQ is universal across all races and culture.

BBQ was invented before all other cooking techniques, ---- the very first time humans discovered fire,

dcarch

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Good point dcarch. Filipino Lechon is some of the best BBQ I've ever had.

I'm not sure the early humans were too concerned about using the perfect rub or achieving a desirable bark and smoke ring though.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Lonejack, thanks for the directed reply but I don't understand what you've said. Yes I've been to KC a few times, yes I've been to BBQ places. Yes I know there's a large black community. I'll try saying it differently - the photos seemed odd. Why is it that (for both the Texas and KC places) the customer groups shown seem, visibly anyway, lacking in customers representing minority groups? For two areas with large (and visible) minority communities.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Elmer - I can't speak for the Texas BBQ place but here in KC the black community seem to prefer some BBQ places over others and gravitate to those. Gates BBQ , Arthur Bryant's, Smokestack, and the place Maifleur mentioned named LC's always seem to have a diverse customer base. Joe's KC BBQ, Q39, and Jackstack to name a few cater to the business lunch crowd and are indeed pretty white during the lunch hours. Not sure about the dinner crowd. Our Asian community is probably around 75% Indian and for obvious reasons you don't see many of them at BBQ joints.

Save    
maifleur03

I did not mention LC's. The place I mentioned was called Dixie Lan. LCs is down on my list of places that I like.

Save    
maifleur03

Elmer some places like Bryants and Gates do more carryout trade to the neighborhood. However most of the neighborhoods have someone that cooks during weekends and holidays. They may just invite the neighborhood or they may accept money but only from people in the neighborhood. The meat used is expensive except for special occasions. The original places are/were surrounded by working class families who can not afford most of the places. Along with disliking the snake eye looks given by the white patrons.

Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I love smoked brisket and while it's not hard to do, it is very time consuming!

And I do want a smoke ring on my pork along with a mixture of chopped and pulled and some bark.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Maybe then for me as an outsider unfamiliar with the communities, perhaps BBQ places are so numerous and neighborhood oriented that that plays a big role in KC. And as everywhere I understand there are many neighborhoods where people of common backgrounds and shared socio-economic characteristics may live. I'd assumed that these featured places were one-off types, unique or more coveted compared to others and places like that normally attract customers from all over.

I can't imagine the same would be the case in the small Texas town the other video covers. I suspect too that maifleur's "snake eye looks" comment may play a part in these two places and elsewhere.

Lonejack, at least in my area, among the many immigrants to the US from the "Indian subcontinent" are, of course, a large percentage of Indian Muslims, Pakistanis, and a smattering of Bangladeshis. One sometimes can tell by their names but usually not at all by their appearances. These folks do eat beef. So your "obvious" assumption isn't so obvious in many cases.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Maifleur - your post yesterday had this statement.

"I do like Rosedale, LCs, and several others" Maybe you weren't talking about the same LC's BBQ.

Elmer - I didn't say 'Indian subcontinent'. I said Indian. Probably close to half of the Indians in my office are vegetarian and a good percentage of the rest do not eat beef. I've been to BBQ joints with Indian co-workers and they might eat the smoked chicken or salmon and the sides but few with order beef or pork.

When we have the Diwali celebration at my office the only meat offered is Butter Chicken and various curry chicken dishes. Maybe it's different and more diverse in LA but that is what I see here in the heartland.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Elmer - to clarify my post. I work in IT. A good percentage of my Indian co-workers are from Bangalore or the surrounding area. Not many Muslim Indians in that part of India. I am only aware of a couple Muslims out of nearly 100 that are employees or contractors at my company,

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

What I'd say to you is that your sample is a very small one, is not necessarily representative of your community, and even among your co-workers and contractors, may be something unlikely for you to be able to assess.

The Muslim population of India proper is about 15%, that's a good starting point for what may be found in your area, before increments for the other nationalities who are mostly indistinguishable from one another by most folks from ethnic groups and traditions whose families have a longer presence in the US than recent immigrants or from other parts of the world.

And, it doesn't matter. Be a bit more openminded.

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

That name sounded familiar to me but when I looked back on a trip to Texas, I saw that we went to Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, Texas. Good stuff.

Save    
maifleur03

Lonejack I also wrote this although I did not name the place. "I am still looking for what I used to eat as far as ribs go when I worked at 19th and Vine." If I had found it at LC's I would not still be looking for that flavor.

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Jasdip's post seems to have taken an unfortunate left turn. Sorry, Jasdip. :(

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Yes, sorry to get your thread off track Jasdip. My apologies that I took the bait.

Maifleur - if you are ever in the Lee's Summit area you might want to try Porky's BBQ. They have some of the best ribs, burnt ends, and brisket that I've had. They are only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, located just east of Lake Lotawana.

Porky's blazin BBQ

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening and Landscaping Set a Gorgeous Seasonal Party Table Outdoors
Entertain guests with your tablescape as much as your party fare, layering summery plants and bright, textural accessories
Full Story
My Houzz A Chef’s Kitchen at Home in San Francisco
Master chef and restaurant owner Joanne Weir is always fine-tuning her colorful, treasure-filled kitchen. Take a tour
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: White and Wood Perk Up a Chef’s Space
New cabinets, top-end appliances and a rustic-meets-classic style mark a sunny San Diego home
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More