SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___

Zeni Prescription glasses, $6.95 + $4.95 shipping. Anti scratch + UV

nicole___
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I went to an ophthalmologist to get a script for eye glasses. Then ordered the prescription glasses online from Zenni. I paid $6.95 for the anti-scratch UV glasses/case/cleaning cloth + $4.95 shipping....about $12! LOVE my new eye glasses! I found the recommendation online from Clark Howard. They have the latest styles. I got the semi clear brown rectangle frames. Aqua eye glass case & cloth.

If YOU need new eye glasses I highly recommend them!

I'm always skeptical about trying something new. They did not disappoint.

Comments (29)

• nicole___
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

How does that work with progressive lenses? or Trifocals?

nicole___ thanked pudgeder
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    3 years ago

pudgeder.....There's an additional fee for all that. From what I read you can work an order up with ALL the extras and it would come out to around $60.....which is still pretty cheap. Worth looking into.

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

I have several pairs for reading or computer. When I used the cheap frames for my everyday glasses they did not last.

• Lars
    3 years ago

I spent $700 for new glasses at a store in Palm Springs last month, and that did not include frames, which I already had. I did have a feeling that that was an inflated cost, but I did not have anything to compare it to. The store had rave reviews on Yelp and was considered to be reasonably priced. Lenscrafters in Palm Springs (as well as in Culver City) got terrible reviews, and I don't know how much cheaper they would have been.

Since I have a new prescription, I think I should order a cheap pair for back-up.

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you have a link to their site?

nicole___ thanked Lars
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Elmer: I picked up a store flyer to read, no problem. I appreciate your input. The idea that distance to reading the print in a novel, might be a problem, hadn't been tested out....yet. It is a problem. lol I do love the frames and the fit! ☺ I'll work to get new lenses.

• nicole___
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lars.....my arm length is where the script converges for reading small print. Then altho the script IS perfect....and the frames are FANTASTIC.....it's too far away to read small print easily. I called....and I can use the frames to get new lenses. I must be holding the store flyer out farther...than I would hold a novel. ?? New lenses locally are $115.

Link to Zenni

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

Two of my adult offspring have been getting them for a few years this way. No complaints yet. I would love to try them but of course I have progressive tri- focals and I don't trust that.

nicole___ thanked arcy_gw
  • donna_loomis
    3 years ago

Thank you Nicole!

nicole___ thanked donna_loomis
  • lisa_fla
    3 years ago

I looked out of curiosity on Zenni a couple of weeks ago when my daughter ordered $30 glasses-her 3rd pair from them. My rx is too high-I can't get anything from them. I bought nice glasses at Visionworks this summer-$387. I was considering rx sunglasses at the end of the year, I wanted them in progressives. I wen to 4 places and all said they couldn't do them in my rx. I may go to the eye DR, they may be the only place that might be able to accomplish that, but the COVID numbers are so high that it is out of the question now. I thought they would be nice to have, as I haven't had rx sunglasses in almost 30 years (I usually wear contacts and sunglasses). I'm thinking they might be quite pricey at the eye dr. I was expecting to go to a chain store or club store and get them.

nicole___ thanked lisa_fla
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"Elmer: I picked up a store flyer to read, no problem. I appreciate your input. The idea that distance to reading the print in a novel, might be a problem, hadn't been tested out....yet. It is a problem. lol I do love the frames and the fit! ☺ I'll work to get new lenses."

I'm a tad nearsighted (challenged to see distance in clear focus). Back in the dark days when I was still working, various times during the day (whether in meetings and reading handouts, or working with or meeting with my staff in my office concerning paper or book materials they'd give me), I'd be alternating between looking up and looking down to read something. I'd noticed over the years that some older people I'd interacted with sometimes took off their glasses when reading, or pushed them up to their foreheads or on top of their head, same effect. Not something I'd needed to do.

The correction for my nearsightedness got gradually stronger every few years. Though still not that strong to this day, I can comfortably drive without glasses but I prefer to see things with sharp definition. Anyway, the time came one year when having my periodic eye refraction, the doctor asked "Do you need to take off your glasses to read?" I answered "No". He replied "You probably will now". Haha. I toughed that out for a year and then started getting progressives. It's easier.

nicole___ thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I called Zenni customer service. The glasses they made for me are not for reading or for distance, they are just intermediate. Progressives would have all 3 with no discernable lines. I just wanted to read with them. I don't know how I would have let them know I wanted to read with the glasses...based on the script I was given. There was no place to enter additional information. I'm sure it was my fault there was an error. For $11.90 I'd be willing to have them make me another pair....as readers.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Intermediate? Haha. What in the heck is that? You put them on when looking at something more than 3 feet away but less than 6? Good luck with that.

You'll get it sorted out. At that price, no damage done.

• nicole___
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Elmer.....☺ Exactly!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I have 2 pairs of glasses I got from Zenni.com few years ago for around $28 each and have been very happy with both.

You can try frames on virtually and your prescription is stored so reordering is very easy. You do need your pupil distance on the prescription.

I'm fortunate to only need single vision lenses. 1 of the pairs I have are sunglasses and I was very happy Zenni had a darker lens tint than what was available locally.

The frames I purchased are much more sturdy and durable than the ones I paid hundred$ for locally.

nicole___ thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My script is a tiny little business size card, with the transitions box checked. Of course until i posted THIS thread I didn't know what that was. My fault entirely. My eye Dr's office is closed today...I'll get a reading glasses script and put the order in again. ☺ I highly recommend Zennis!

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Thank you for the info. Wow, I didn't realize glasses were so expensive. I am going to look and see if they carry bifocal sunglasses. My insurance covers glasses, but not the sunglasses. They would be nice for the beach. I am probably overdue for my yearly eye appointment anyway. I might as well get an updated script.

nicole___ thanked functionthenlook
  • woodrose
    3 years ago

I have ordered several pairs of glasses fro Zenni over the years, prescription was always done perfectly, no problem ...until now. I ordered single vision glasses, same as always, and expected to receive reading glasses. Nope, got distance lenses. They say I have to do a complicated math formula, and enter in the form when ordering. I sent the glasses back and was given a store credit. Ordered second pair with "Blokz" to block blue light from computer and notation that I want reading glasses. Get an email " Do you want computer glasses, or reading?". I respond that I want glasses for computer use thinking I can use them for both, as I've always done. I receive the glasses and guess what ? I can't see to read, or use for the computer. Even tried moving my monitor, still doesn't work. I give up. Oh, and the person I communicated with about the second pair tells me that "single vision" is reading glasses ! What ?

nicole___ thanked woodrose
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    3 years ago

woodrose...they gave me a "formula" to convert my prescription to reading glasses. I called my eye Dr. and will let him do the math. ☺ The single vision glasses they sent me, they said were to see 3 feet away. ? How's that even possible? ha ha ha

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

I had the problem Elmer mentioned with progressive lenses - from 2 different offices, an ophthalmologist and an optician - unusable for reading and barely so for computer. I went to a walk in optometrist, explained my issue, and he wrote 2 different scripts for reading and computer. I use the original progressives for driving and watching TV, but use the computer strength ones for nearly everything else daily; I need the "reading" strength only occasionally when my vision fluctuates a bit.

nicole___ thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

raee, I'll share with you what has worked for me for placement of "the line".

After the failures previously mentioned, I decided I needed to be more proactive to "help". When trying again at a new place, after the optician made the measurement and started to write it down, I asked where the line was.

The response was "I put it at the point most people find comfortable".

"Will I find it suitable for me?"

"Yes, you probably will"

"Please draw a line on the lens (the plain lens put into frames before sold) so I can see where it is"

"You don't trust me?"

"I neither trust you nor distrust you, I want to see where it is".

Line is drawn, I put on frames

"It's too high"

"You don't want it much lower"

"Please put it lower"

New line is drawn

"It's still too high"

"It can't be much lower, you need enough lens at the bottom for the progressive pattern"

"Are you saying it CAN'T be lower at all, or it can't be much lower?"

"It can't be much lower"

"Fine. Put it lower and let me look"

(what I was doing was checking out the field of view for distance viewing)

"Okay, that's fine"

"I think it's too low"

"It's fine. Please use that"

It was perfect. I've done it the same way ever since (but haven't gotten new lenses in the last Covid year). I start by having the optician measure the distance down from my cornea to where the line is on my existing glasses.

Here's the thing. What works best for me when using progressives, and changing to close-up viewing, is to keep my chin high and look down with my eyes. If you turn your head down, you're then using the distance corrected upper part of the lens and reading will be difficult. .

Good luck to all.

• nicole___
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just received my reading glasses from Zenni. Nice! The $6.95 frame I ordered isn't the least bit "cheap" or thin or fragile. I wear Oakley and Ray Ban sunglasses. These frames are at least as nice as any of those. ☺ With shipping I paid $11.90. I'll be a regular customer.

• woodrose
    3 years ago

nicole, I'm glad you had a good experience with Zenni. I don't know why I'm having such a bad experience after all the years of getting great glasses from them. I've even gotten better frames from them than I got from the professionals, but the temple pieces on this last pair are literally the size of wires.

nicole___ thanked woodrose
  • ghostlyvision
    3 years ago

Thanks for this Nicole, I just ordered a pair of sunglasses from them. I have to wear a dark tint outside/driving and my distance vision has gotten furry enough that I now need prescription glasses and have had no luck finding low mag. readers with a dark tint (and my regular prescription magnifies the Texas sun so much it almost blinds me). So for just under 17.00 I can give these a try. Well...in 14-21 days if shipping takes as long as they say, I can. lol

nicole___ thanked ghostlyvision
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ghostlyvision....the best way to get a perfect eye glass from Zenni is to send a photo of the script to them along with your order. I did. 2-3 weeks to get the glasses is accurate.

• ghostlyvision
    3 years ago

I didn't see a way to do that when ordering last night Nicole, but if I order from them again I'll see if I can find where to upload a pic, thanks.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I sent a scan of my prescription in .pdf form as an attachment in an email, along with entering the info on the website, IIRC.

nicole___ thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • ghostlyvision
    3 years ago

I received the Zenni sunglasses today, the prescription seems right on, the tint is about as dark as my non-rx sunglasses, and the frames seem sturdy - and they came in one week, so very pleased about it. Thanks again, Nicole. :)