SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hominamad

Any ideas for this awkward living room?

hominamad
3 years ago

Was hoping someone could give me some good ideas for furnishing this living room. My house was built in 1924 and this is a small awkward living room, with no real good wall space for furniture. The furniture that's in the pic below is already the result of some redesign. The bench that is in the middle of the room is not usually there - we keep it off to the side (off camera) where people can sit when walking in and out of our front door and taking off shoes, etc. We slide it to the middle when we need the extra seating as that's a major thoroughfare up to our staircase.

Anyway, I'm not so unhappy with the layout, but it's not the most comfortable room to sit in. The mini-sofa off to the right is very uncomfortable to sit in. I like sitting in the big arm chair but there are not many other comfortable places to sit in the room.

Also, I would like to turn this into a music-room. Was thinking of getting two floor standing speakers for the sides of the fireplace - but there's really no good listening positions for good sound and comfortable seating to sit and listen to music.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to improve this layout? Thanks!

PS The fireplace works and we like to use it - if that impacts anything.

Comments (4)