It's January 2021: What are you reading?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (56)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
What are you reading in September 2021?
Comments (64)I just finished Sleeping Giants, the first book in a sci-fi trilogy by Sylvain Neuvel. Told in interviews and documents, it recounts humankind discovering that aliens do exist and were on our planet some 3,000 years ago. They also left something behind. It had an interesting set up and was a quick, easy read with enough intriguing plot lines left dangling to entice me to read the next two books (which I've already requested from the library). It's not great literature, but I'd still like to know what happens next. I'm also a quarter of the way into The Near Witch by V.E. Schwab, a medieval-style fantasy tale about witchcraft and missing children. So far, I'm enjoying it. Everything else I requested from the library arrived at once today: Nightb*tch by Rachel Yoder, That Sounds Like Fun by Annie F. Downs, and How Lucky by Will Leitch. As How Lucky was recommended here, I'm starting that next....See MoreWhat are you reading? October 2021 Edition
Comments (150)A few people recommended The Whistling Season and I really liked it. One of my book clubs is doing it next month. Ded, my other book club read The Girl With the Louding Voice last month. I didn;t expect to like it so much but I did. I wasn't able to make the meeting. Today, just had book club for The Button Man and every one of 12 people there really liked it. Most gave it 5 stars, and the ones who didn't gave it 4. As I shared, it really resonated with me so I couldn't tell what others would think or how they would react but clearly it was a good read. I just finished Cider With Rosie and am glad I read it. At points it was a bit too long or wordy but it was so interesting. I had the kindle version (from the library) and it also had a good chunk ( not really sure how much maybe a chapter or three ) from his other work- As I Walked Out One Mid Summer Morning. I think I enjoyed that a lot more. (There was a lot more happening than the changing seasons etc). I am going to start The Sound of Gravel next as well as re-peruse The Whistling Season....See MoreWhat are you reading? December 2021 Edition
Comments (115)Readers and AnnieD...posting this before this thread closes down at the end of the month. What would you think of when the January thread is posted (and all subsequent threads each month) of linking the previous month's thread in the new thread? The search function here is so abysmal that sometimes, when I want to look back at a previous month, I cannot find it. If the January thread contains a link to the December thread, that will make it easy to find. Eventually, after several months, we can just link through to previous threads simply by opening the January thread. We can click on the December link (and in the future) could then find the November link in the December thread, then find the October link in the November thread and on and on. Annie, since you usually start the reading threads, it would be another task for you, so don't know how you'd feel about it, but I think it would work best if the previous month was listed in your original post. Anyone else think this would be a good idea and if so, Annie would you mind doing it?...See MoreWhat Are You Reading? January 2025 Edition
Comments (114)“BEYOND THE BIG LIE” author Bill Adair copyright 2024 I’m circling back to the book I mentioned here 2 weeks ago. I highly recommend it & it would be good for a book club providing the members are accepting of diverse political views. I found the book thought provoking & a bit scary. This book isn’t about a specific view, doesn’t take sides but is specifically about lying in social media, politics, journalism, talk shows etc. This book caught my attention when I saw it at my library because I had recently listened to discussions & expressions of concern about META & other social media discontinuing their fact checking operations. Bill Adair, the founder of the Pulitzer Prize winning fact-checking website PolitiFact, tells about the history of lying in politics and about the creation of the various fact checking organizations & their methodologies. Bill’s style of writing in this book is easy to read & interesting as well as informative. It’s no surprise to me that the biggest threat to our democracy is disinformation and misinformation - 2 very different things. This book isn’t long - only 218 pages on the topic with pages 219 - 273 covering acknowledgements & source cites. It took me awhile to read though because I’d flip back to re-read some points or references when Bill wrote about them in later chapters. Sadly, this book might need updating given current happenings in DC in that the lying has increased....See More- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

EVENTS7 Home Decor Highlights at Atlanta Market Winter 2021
Here are some of the standout looks in furniture, lighting and accessories at the January trade show
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSDesign Trends From the Maison & Objet 2021 Digital Days
Online seminars pointed to decor with a touch of humor and joy, natural influences and a sustainable story
Full Story
NORTHEAST GARDENINGNortheast Gardener's January Checklist
Feed the bees, support local garden clubs and have fun with natives to get your garden looking its best in 2013
Full Story
REGIONAL GARDEN GUIDESCalifornia Gardener’s January Checklist
Here’s what to prune and plant now to spruce up the winter landscape and jump-start your garden for the year
Full Story
HOUZZ PRODUCT NEWSLandscape Pros Share Their Business Plans for 2021
Adding staff, investing in marketing and staying flexible are ways landscape pros are ramping up for the year
Full Story0

INSIDE HOUZZTop Takeaways From the 2021 U.S. Houzz Kitchen Trends Study
Storage is a major focus, the open-concept floor plan is losing steam, and project scope is scaling back
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEHow to Feel Good About Your Home This January
Spending lots of time at home? Make sure you enjoy it. These thoughtful ideas will keep the love for your abode alive
Full Story


yoyobon_gw