SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junesky2015

New floors and a kitchen remodel -- how to begin? Which to do first?

Vinnie S
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We purchased a home in San Francisco that we are finally ready to remodel. It was built in 1978 and not only is it super dated, but it suffers from poor craftsmanship, from the badly carpeted floors to the bathrooms. We don't plan to live here for more than a few more years so the goal of the remodel is to create a more modern and functional space, but also one that will have resale value. Stylewise, we want something attractive and modern, but not sterile. Due to cost, nothing high-end, but also understand that certain features or choices may call for more spend to get it right.

We are totally new at this so not sure where to start. Both the kitchen and the floors are the priority right now, but not sure which one to do first.

The kitchen remodel should be pretty straight forward as we don't plan to change the footprint too drastically, though thinking of shifting the sink over by a few inches. We want to buy all new appliances, switch out the counters/cabinets/sink. The only structural work will be to get a range hood built.

Flooring-wise, we want to rip up the carpet in the living room, hallway and bedrooms, as well as the stairs, and install hardwood. We plan on leaving the bathroom floors alone for now and tackling them when we do a bathroom remodel. We also want to create a tiled entryway in the foyer.

Not sure who we need to call first -- a contractor, a designer? My husband and I both work full-time so we are hoping we can also find a project manager who can manage/oversee the process. I have always liked Ikea kitchens because of how functional they are, but have not looked into that process yet either.

Appreciate any and all guidance! Thanks so much!

Comments (3)