SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_404771960

Should I request our contractor fix a wall end that isn't plumb?

Remodel Newb
3 years ago

Hello and thank you in advance for any advice you may have. We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and I'm not sure how to feel about a problem I have noticed. We had our kitchen demoed and prepped by our general contractor based upon plans his designer drew up. We then had a custom cabinet company come in to install our cabinets. Now that the cabinets have been installed I am noticing that a small wall the contractor built is not plumb. It is especially noticeable because the pantry cabinet is pretty flush with the edge of the wall at the top but the wall protrudes about 1/4" past the pantry at the bottom. Now every time I come in to look at the new kitchen my eyes go straight to this mistake. I not sure if I am being too nit picky or if my concerns are justified. The original plans say that the wall they put in should be 28". The top of the wall is 27 1/4" and the bottom of the wall is 27 1/2". Also this wall will be painted BM Manchester Tan so I am really worried it will be even more evident when the wall doesn't match the color of the cabinets like they do now. We mentioned our concerns to the contractor who said something to the effect that many walls in a home are not exactly plumb. I am not sure if I should just drop it and live with it (which makes me unhappy because as time goes on and as I talk to more and more friends who have gone thru remodeling, I feel like we are paying significantly over the average for the work being done). Is it possible to be fixed (like with extra mudding or something) or if I should insist it be redone? I can't imagine the hassle to our contractor to redo it. Especially since we/he will have to pay the cabinet installer extra to come back out to remove the cabinets to access that wall to remove and redo. And he also had a separate sheetrock person come out.....

Thank you

Comments (36)