SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
citrusnuts

Can a graft be taken over by the rootstock

tony tom
3 years ago

I bought a dekopen (sumo orange) tree just over a year ago. It came in very healthy with blooms and little oranges growing. I kept it under artificial light and transplanted it into a new pot with fresh dirt like I normally do. It grew well even sprouting some new growth. 5 months later I noticed dieoff on one of the top branches. I trimmed it off and kept an eye on it but it slowly kept going. The tree was indoors under grow lights in a 65 degree environment the entire time. It was dying from the top down. There was 1 solid branch left on it when I was finally able to take it outside because the weather had warmed. I thought it would bounce back but that branch died off as well. I have had this happen to me one other time so I kept the tree out and kept watering it. After several weeks, I saw new growth peaking out. I took this as a sign that it wasn't dead but just maybe went dormant because it didn't like the conditions it was in. Both the graft and the rootstock started to push growth. I trimmed the growth from the rootstock and allowed the graft to keep pushing. It did but something weird happened. The new growth has needles and the original tree did not. After this long explanation, my question is this, did the graft survive or is the rootstock pushing through the graft? Is this possible? I have several grafted trees but this one took me a while to get so I really would like to keep it. I have asked several people that work in retail outlets that just tell me its good but when I push the question they back off and answer honestly that they don't know. Has anyone had this happen to them or know if the graft cannot be compromised by the rootstock if the growth is on the graft? Thanks for any help

Comments (8)