SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Ouroboros Steak

lucillle
3 years ago

An interesting article in the NYT this morning details meat grown from human cells as an art form criticizing the meat industry's rising use of living cells from animals. Apparently both investment and research for cell-based lab-grown meat is rising.

We use people parts all the time and no one thinks much of it. Hair is used to make wigs for those who have lost theirs in cancer treatments. Blood is donated to help save those undergoing surgery. Other body parts are donated as future transplant items at death. But unlike these examples, the meat industry's research is being met with considerable controversy.

Food for thought, indeed.

Comments (16)

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Is this muscle mass grown for medical purposes? Please tell me it is nothing else. 😧

• lucillle
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Elizabeth, the referenced 'Ouroboros Steak' was not grown for anything, it is a piece of art. However, there is research in the meat industry using live cells, and controversy connected with the research and development of lab grown meat.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

Soylent Green arrives!

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Art? Disgusting.

• marilyn_c
    3 years ago

Ummm. No. I like my beef grown the old fashioned way. We used to raise our own, and I will go back to that.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think the controversy goes far beyond personal preference. The same sorts of plusses and minuses used in the plant GMO arguments could be raised here. But the fact that there is continued investment in lab grown meat seems to mean that the investment companies think that the research will bear fruit. (Or in this case, meat).

• CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

Bumblebeez: I had exactly the same thought when I read the article telling about this.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

Kate, I think we're just showing our age! I doubt it's a millennial cult classic LOL

• CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

😂

• lucillle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    3 years ago

It doesn't matter how complicated everything on our planet works, everything, all life forms, all matters, ------ It all comes down to one single operating force, namely the food chain.

Left alone, the food chain is self-balancing, always in equilibrium. Disaster happens if any link in the food chain is artificially modified.

The whole world at this point is delicious lunch for the corona virus.

dcarch

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

Soooo..... lab grown animal meat is so much bad that utilizing self-cannibalism as art is good? How gauche, self-cannibalism art is so 2018. I wonder what Mr. Berzinsh thinks of it.

Even more amusing is the creators of this "art" claim it isn't really cannibalism to grow and eat human meat..... well then, that defeats the purpose of their art then, because that means growing and eating animal meat isn't really a problem either :)

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Hard pass for me, but then I just ate lunch. Check back when I'm hungry.

I try to avoid green food if I didn't grow it myself. lol

• Islay Corbel
    3 years ago

Why?. Oh why?

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think I consider meat to be flesh taken from a once living being. A bird, a mammal. A fish?

Grown in a lab, just an assembly of amino acids, proteins, lipids, whatever. (even if DNA was used to assemble it into a concoction unidentifiable from "real" meat) I'd still consider it artificial meat, not real meat.

If I couldn't get, or developed an aversion to eating real meat, I probably wouldn't be interested in fake meat.

But I would have no moral objections as long as it wasn't grown from and/or marketed as human meat.

Grown from and marketed as beef, pork, most anything else would be okay.

Fake human meat might be a hit at the zoo. The big cats would probably love it. :-)

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

If the movie is as bad as that trailer... I'm glad I never watched it!!!

I did read the original book (Make Room, Make Room, by Harry Harrison), well before the movie was made - early enough that I didn't know what Soylent Green was until revealed in the novel.