SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ca136

Bad mosaic backsplash tiling & grouting - thoughts?

ca136
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We're nearing the end of our remodel and the contractors didn't really do the best job with our backsplash. We apparently chose a hard tile to work with as there are a lot of little pieces (but sheeted 12x12). Knowing we chose a tough tile, I'm okay that many areas don't have consistent grout lines, I'm even ok with a little slippage. But the showcase area, underneath our hood, looks bad.

They've redone part of it a few times but they're saying that the slippage is due to the back wall being crooked (sure). As for the grout looking messy and not cleaned off all the tile .. ??
Thinking of pushing back and making them re do the tiling. They also used a box of tile that we told them not to, since the tiles were chipped. So of course, our main backsplash now has chipped tiles showcased.

Thoughts? I want the job to be over so I can have my house back (job is already running 1.5 months over on a 2.5 month original job) but I also don't want to pay $$$ for a shitty job that I'll just have to pay someone else more money to fix.

Why is the grout textured like this? We used the same grout in the bathroom and it doesn't look like this. What's a possible cause for the slippage? Could it be anything other than sloppy work?

Comments (5)