rberesh73

Exterior Redesign

rberesh73
6 months ago

Hi there, I'm looking for some suggestions and possibly some photoshopping skills. I'm thinking of redoing the shingling and the outside of my house. I'm thinking of doing a black metal trim at the top, and for shingling I'm looking for suggestions of something dark.....in addition I'm thinking of having all the white trim, entrance, and garage doors black.

I'd love to hear what others have in mind to give this an updated look and also if someone could photoshop what my ideas might look like i'd be gratedful.

Comments (80)

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Any particular black I should use? Also just wondered if anyone had any specific shingle colour i should use....with the idea of me doing the trim black and given the colour of my bricks.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    6 months ago

I used Tricorn black on every surface of my house (excluding the brick...)

rberesh73 thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Related Discussions

Do YOU Think This House is Ugly? Shocked at responses

Q

Comments (92)
    Agie9597- Did you build the Kousa Creek house? How was your experience? We purchased the plans several years ago but never built. I love the exterior and many parts of the interior. I was disappointed that the plans did not include all three levels of the home. As it was featured in Southern Living, only the top two floors were shown, but you could tell by some of the photos, especially the photo of the back elevation, that it is a 3 story home. We live in east Texas and may consider this home again.
    ...See More

Landscape design to cover retaining walls

Q

Comments (10)
    Millie Rey, at one property I bought with an extra wooded lot, I didn't actually know what I had, as it was head high in most places with every kind of weed including poison ivy. In an exploration, I discovered that English ivy lied under most of it. Since English ivy was a common groundcover in that area (Atlanta) I decided to see if I could keep it and get rid of everything else. More than anything else, it was a summer of periodic, careful spraying with my favorite weedkillers. I found that I could mass spray large areas at the beginning because the English ivy was so covered up with weeds that it remained more or less unsprayed. As the area was cleaned of dead material, I had to be more careful in spot spraying. It did not take more than a single summer to get rid of 98% of the weeds. The toughies were the large perennial or woody plants that insisted on regrowing. After a few partial re-grows and hits with WK, they were finished and I had a gorgeous 1/4 acre of clean, shaded English ivy. No other plant would have grown that well or be so easy to care for. I cut ivy at the base of all trees, letting the climbing growth die and fall off. (It took about an hour a year to snip the base of new climbing growth of 15 or so large trees. It is a waste of time to pull if off as it falls off on its own in a short period of time.) The ivy long pre-dated my arrival and was in all the adjoining neighbor's back yards. It would have been pointless and futile, to say nothing of ugly, for me to try to get rid of it. It ended up being my easiest to care for large plant. I know some people hate it. But I think they are lacking in understanding it, and how to care for it. Poison ivy is the absolute easiest plant to get rid of with round-up alone, as it is very susceptible to it. No need to allow that nasty plant on civilized property.
    ...See More

Redesign House exterior - paint and front entrance

Q

Comments (1)
    Not a pro, just want to say you have a beautiful home! I don't see anything wrong with it. It has a lot of charm. :-)
    ...See More

Help to redesign house's exterior

Q

Comments (3)
    Load the pictures in a comment and wait until they are no longer grayed before submitting.
    ...See More
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    5 months ago

So I've had a bit of a hiccup. The flat roof had a leak so now i have to wait for that to be fixed. In the mean time I'm still looking at shingles and for suggestions and specific names. I took a close up pic of my bricks as reference and included some photos. Thanks again everyone for this input!!

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    5 months ago

some examples

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    5 months ago

is this consensus to go black...a grey.....or an in between....just curious

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    5 months ago

:)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

post an updated pic. (or have you not done anything yet? )

I still like a dark charcoal

if you like a lighter gray, your house will look like that first pic in your recent comment

But, you could do all the dark trim like this one. I love the dark trim idea. with the medium gray shingle, I think it's nice.

(remember, the color will always be a bit lighter once it's up on the roof. )

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    5 months ago

The roof has been done and so far just black metal trim has been added. Shingles are the next step.

• Jackie Kemper
    4 months ago

Yes, do the soffits black also. I was going to keep them white but it so much better looking painting them out black!

rberesh73 thanked Jackie Kemper
  • RedRyder
    4 months ago

Stick with the black trim idea!

rberesh73 thanked RedRyder
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you...ok i will do the soffits black as well!

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Well it's taken forever but it looks like the new shingles will be added in about 2 weeks time. The choice i am going with (ha so far, unless i change my mind) is Landmark's Moire Black.

• Jackie Kemper
    15 days ago

Can’t wait to see it!

• houssaon
    15 days ago

Please keep us posted. Good luck!

rberesh73 thanked houssaon
  • marylut
    14 days ago

Glad roof is fixed and shingle color chosen. Don’t second guess yourself on exact shade of black for shingle color. When you are choosing, you are comparing colors side by side. But once on and up high, all everyone will see is a black roof. Believe me, no one will say, The X black color would have been a better choice.

rberesh73 thanked marylut
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    14 days ago

Can you post pictures of how the house appears currently?

rberesh73 thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thanks everyone and I will keep everyone updated and sorry for the delays. Ugh no kidding about second guessing myself. I went with the moire black as the shingles looked great and they are supposed to be a good brand. But then later I started googling pics and I was getting all mixed up as sometimes they looked really grey....and I'm wanting my shingles to look black as I want to replicate the photoshopped picture from up above. I think a big factor that might help it would be to do the trim black. Ha, as probably a lot of you know it takes so much time to find people that can come out and do work like this as everyone is so busy. Anyways,,I think I will stick with the moire black because it's true i might do my head by second guessing myself.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Hi there,,,,yes here is a recent one.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    14 days ago

The picture i just posted doesn't really represent the colors of the shingles or brick. For a better pic, check out the one at the top of the page. I just took this photo now and it's pretty cloudy. The only things changed right now (from the old pic) is the front garden is different and I have the black metal trim at the top of the house.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    12 days ago

One question I have is how I should paint the entrance. On the photoshopped pic, the door and the garages are painted blacker than the roof (any suggestions of what black to use would be welcomed) but how do i have the rest of the entrance painted. Thanks!

• lepstein
    12 days ago

Black or sage green with copper accents a la Beth.

rberesh73 thanked lepstein
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Yes I was thinking to replace the ornaments and mailbox with copper however, I'm wondering how to paint the entrance. The photoshopped pic above shoes the door as being black....but what about the sides and the rest of the entrance?

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    11 days ago

or are you saying that you would paint the sides black or sage green? If so, would you paint the door one type of black and the others a different shade of black than the door?

• lepstein
    11 days ago

Would do sides and roof black or sage. Door shows white on your pic. Would lean to wood door a la Beth's example above or complementary colour. All black might be too dark. If sage chosen, black door might work. Note: I am not a pro. Just what my eyes see. Good luck!

rberesh73 thanked lepstein
  • btydrvn
    11 days ago

The white looks crisp and nice as a contrast with the earth tones and proposed black roof...it defines the architectural details and brightens the curb appeal...black will not do that as effectively...the entrance could benefit from some color and could be a little whimsical.... to draw the eye and lessen the formal feel as well...perhaps a pale aqua or the more expected grayish green...

rberesh73 thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    11 days ago

Sage would work on all the trim as well..for a softer look with less contrast and less of a focus on the trim..ideally a sage roof with sage trim softens the entire curb appeal...depending on your climate a black roof may absorb more heat...

rberesh73 thanked btydrvn
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I'm currently going with moire black as the shingle for the roof. I really liked the photoshopped pic near the top of this thread. I did like the black door in the pic as well, however I wasn't sure what I'd do with the rest of the entrance. Is the consensus to do the area surrounding the door a grey or some other colour and keep the door white?

• marylut
    11 days ago

It is really your personal preference. Either just the front door 1 color and the side lights and brick walls a 2nd color. Or all the wood 1 color and all the brick a 2nd color. If you like the black door effect, paint the rest of the entrance the same color as the window trim.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I really like the black on black (all the trim/the side lites)

However, I don't like the white surround. maybe doing a warm walnut stain wood surround?

same thing, diff door style

Here's a natural wood door and sides. You'd have to paint the surround in black for this to look good. I don't like the white surround in any of the choices actually.

So imagine the black doors above, w/the white surround done in this stained color of wood^. It's the perfect tone to go w/the brick, and would look killer w/the black on black door option

Like this. how cool is this??

gave you gargoyle lights. but you could do a black or a antique copper

I went crazy w/the photoshops. take your pick

black w/white trim around the door

black door white sides I don't really care for this one. You'd have to paint all of the surround wood black

This color is SW Iron Ore. trim out the door in the white is fine, but I don't like the white surround.

SW Jasper. it's a green/black

charcoal gray

rberesh73 thanked Beth H. :
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Beth this is brilliant!!!! I have to pour over these photographs more tomorrow as these are incredible and really help give me a better idea for paint choices. So funny, I noticed you photoshopped the lights and was going to ask you what brand you used but you beat me to the punch and told me the brand. How awesome is this!? Thank you!! So far I'm really liking the first pic of the black on black. I wonder what paint color would match that. I'm thinking of also having the garage doors painted black as well.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 days ago

or the gargoyle one? I actually have that light. i love gargoyles. would totally fit your style home too.

The brand is Triarch (But I don't think they're avail anymore!. lowes used to carry it)

I love this w/the walnut stain or mahogany wood surround and the black.

or you could paint the surround in charcoal and see how it looks

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Would you happen to know what brand of lamp this is called? Would you suggest I go black or with the copper?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 days ago

you like this one?

https://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/framburg-8502-sbr-carcassonne-small-outdoor-wall-lantern-46958.htm

click on the link and look at all of the lights on the page. see if you like any of them.

https://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/framburg-8505-iron-carcassonne-iron-11-inch-three-light-outdoor-wall-mount-1907163.htm

outdoor lighting sale

https://www.bellacor.com/outdoor-wall-lighting.htm?sN=4294849951&Ns=P_Discount_Margin&Nso=0

I think the antique copper looks good w/the brick and the black.

so does a black.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    11 days ago

this is so amazing! thank you so much

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I think after looking at all the pics, I'm still leaning heavily to your first pic. I do like the idea of the stained wood around it but it might be something I have to ease into. Wow, just can't believe all the work you did there and it's greatly appreciated. I love the gargoyle lamps but I might go for this brand if you happen to know it. If you have a spare few minutes....I wondered if you could look at the rest of the front of my house. So the first pic is how my house is.....and the second pic is how it should roughly look after the shingle upgrade (update....they are coming next tuesday!)

Would you paint any of the trim? Garage? If so, what colors would you go with?

1st pic is what my house might look like with the new shingles

Second pic is a suggestion another member had and that was to paint the garages. Not sure if that means the garage and doors would be the same tone of black? Looks more matte or something on the doors. Also thoughts on painting any of the trim? Or leave as is

this lamp i'm wondering what the name might be

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

not sure about that name. try doing a google image search.

HD has this one Morgan 2 light

Amazon has LALUZ

build.com has a bunch of lights too.

this would be a cool roof, especially if you had black windows or trim

as for the garage doors, I think it's the actual style of the door that's throwing it off. It belongs on a regular tract home house, not the type of home you have.

This style door, for sure the carriage iron hardware, and the lantern style lights

not a whole lot of red brick mansard roof homes to look at! I did find these

they all have dark garage doors. I think the top one is prob the best door style. I still think carriage hardware of some type will look better w/the house style.

these look better, but I don't care for the white. YOu could paint them black and trim them out in the white trim. bring in the lantern lights. see how that looks.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Light look amazing. One thing I was thinking about was having pot lights put in....or do you think that would be overkill?

• rbhirano
    10 days ago

This roof gives off a French chateau vibe. I would change the shingles into black, and paint the house white or whitewash the bricks. Black trim would look great with it, too. A Tiffany or French Blue door would finish the look.

• marylut
    9 days ago

Roof looks like French mansard style without the second pitch. But wouldn’t a typical French Country house have a roof of light gray or charcoal or copper roof turned green, orange brick, or stone, or plastered body painted bright white or buttery French vanilla?

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Love the pics. I know the house was built in 1977. Not sure what they used as the original shingle but the current ones were put on in 2000. The original owner of the house was also the builder and built many of the houses in my area. Not sure what his influences were....I know he was Croatian and it was supposed to be his final house for him and his wife to live in but they moved. It's in the city, but we back onto farmland and a hydrofield so it's nice not having neighbours behind us.

• RedRyder
    9 days ago

Looking at all the photos posted, a dark charcoal roof and white (or whitewashed) house would look amazing. Then the doors (house and garage) can be black as well. The dramatic lines of your house are muted by the color scheme. The photo examples show how much better a mansard roof looks when it’s got contrast and is the darkest element.

rberesh73 thanked RedRyder
  • Jackie Kemper
    9 days ago

You mentioned the house was built in 1977. We also have a mansard roof and it was built in 1971. it must have been popular in that decade! our plan was shown in Better Homes and Gardens. i posted a photo of mine earlier - i did a dark charcoal to try to change the look. mine is less formal than yours. the porch is lined with cedar. i think youll be happy with the suggestion of painting your entrance dark. and im so glad i did the garage doors the same dark

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Ah yes I remember your post Jackie! It was actually one of the first that further inspired me to go with the dark shingles. Thanks RedRyder for the photo samples and i see what you mean by contrasting with the darker elements.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Well tomorrow is the big day! The roofers are coming to pull all the shingles off. Updates to follow!

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Well, it's almost done. They need one more day to finish the front however here are before and after pics of the back.

• Jackie Kemper
    4 days ago

Its looking good! isnt it exciting to watch the transformation!

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Ha, yes very! It just needs one more day of work and then it will be done. Unfortunately it's looking like rain tomorrow so it may be postponed a bit. I'm a bit anxious to have the shingles completed at the front so that I can take it in, post pics on here, and then see where to go next. So far i'm leaning towards getting the garage doors painted black and also the door and side pieces with glass. Maybe doing a shinier black for the door than the garage? Not sure yet. Hopefully I'll have pics soon to share and get ideas.

• houssaon
    4 days ago

You are right, a glossy finish on the front door - at least a semi-gloss and the garage doors not so high a sheen.

• RedRyder
    3 days ago

Yes, your front door can be shiny. So far that darker shingle is looking good! I hope you don’t get rain…..

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Sooooo close but it started to rain! So this is it for the day.

Sponsored
Hartley Botanic, Inc.
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Beautiful, Handmade Greenhouses Since 1938