SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rberesh73

Exterior Redesign

rberesh73
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there, I'm looking for some suggestions and possibly some photoshopping skills. I'm thinking of redoing the shingling and the outside of my house. I'm thinking of doing a black metal trim at the top, and for shingling I'm looking for suggestions of something dark.....in addition I'm thinking of having all the white trim, entrance, and garage doors black.

I'd love to hear what others have in mind to give this an updated look and also if someone could photoshop what my ideas might look like i'd be gratedful.
Then

Now

Comments (282)

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So far this is the first room I feel has been completed (outside of a possible floor change and lamp fixture...still looking for ideas on those). This room was just recently 'finished' this last summer. This room is a small office type room that is off to the left of the entrance near the long table/mirror combo.

as you can see the hallway narrows quite a bit where the curved staircase is.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I had another thought. Maybe a small curved table (for keys and stuff) at the staircase and fabulous large artwork where the current table and mirror are. It looks like you could even paint that one wall an interesting color. It would leave the entryway more open when guests arrive. I’m seeing closets near the entrance so you don’t need anything for coats. Is that right?

rberesh73 thanked RedRyder
  • Related Discussions

Redesign House exterior - paint and front entrance

Q

Comments (1)
    Not a pro, just want to say you have a beautiful home! I don't see anything wrong with it. It has a lot of charm. :-)
    ...See More

Online apps to help you re-design exterior of house and curb appeal

Q

Comments (4)
    Just FYI olioboard has shut down. Thanks for replying though!
    ...See More

Exterior Re-Design Help

Q

Comments (5)
    HI -- Nice house ....You will need a Landscape Designer . There will have to be a taller better retaining wall to level out the front area on the left side . I would have a large walled ( can be wood fencing and lattice ) courtyard entrance coming out further forward than the garages and wider to the left . This will take the first focus off the garage doors . A separate walkway to the entrance apart from the driveway . Then wall foundation mass plantings and a small grove of wispy trees for dappled shade that will not block the view of the front of the house . Courtyard wall height of about 36 to 42 inches high on the front and possibly higher on the left side if you want more privacy. Paved/ tiled in the courtyard and maybe a water feature and plantings or plant pots and seating furniture . I think this would give you lots of use and be very attractive addition to the house . Search courtyard ideas here on Houzz .
    ...See More

I need help redesigning my exterior!!

Q

Comments (10)
    I appreciate all your advice! I'll w follow it and post later a before and after picture:) Regarding squaring the windows, do you think it will make it more attractive if I remove the triangle roof on top main entrance and replace maybe with a flat metal roof and adding a big window above?
    ...See More
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

Just some inspiration to see if you like that idea.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Last idea: beef up the console/mirror area and use the curved wall for a photo gallery. Most of us have staircase walls or long hallways we fill with curated family photos. That wall, with nice frames and matting, can be a perfect place to show off the family. The the current console wall can be for checking your makeup and dropping your keys.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Red Ryder - Love the idea of the curved table. I haven't heard of that idea before. Some had suggested a curved bench there, but again it's pretty narrow and would have to be a custom job. Yes you are right. There are 2 closets that are on either side of the front entrance door. Now.....I'd just need to see what colour table would go there and I'd have to find a height (i'm assuming) that would match or be similiar to the long table/mirror combo. Also any ideas of any sort of decorations would look good on that long table? Or pics for framing suggestions for the mirror? Thanks again!!

p.s also like the idea of painting that back curved area a different colour. Any suggestions?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

It might help to start looking for a new entryway rug. Once you bring that into the area, you can play off the colors. I have no idea what you like since doing the outside of the house involved A LOT of black! And you have a lot of black doors in the entryway so we need something with color. Browse some rugs and post the ones that appeal to you. Right now, that entryway is totally neutral with black and a beige tiled floor.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Red Ryder- out of curiousity what would you suggest as a rug for that entrance. Always good to see another perspective. You are right about it being neutral. The idea was to basically have the house painted neutral, but as noted above, it's time to bring in some colours! Look forward to seeing some examples!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

It’s hard to choose a rug for someone else, but I can show you how vast the variety of rugs are. My personal preferences may not be yours, so you have to scour all the rugs online and save the ones that appeal to you.
    Just some ideas: you can go modern like these

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Or more classic

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Rugs.com let’s you upload a photo of the room to see their rugs in your home. Keep in mind that while much less expensive, polypropylene rugs don’t wear as well. If your entryway is used every day, spring for a wool rug. In places with less traffic, poly rugs are a huge bargain. I have both hand-knotted good wool rugs (two I’ve owned for 30 years) and less expensive ones in rooms that have fewer people traipsing in and out. We need to figure out the right size for your house but I’m just sharing different looks.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I have a small teal colored version of the last one. I don’t remember where I found it but it took a long time. Teal is a recurring color in my open concept house.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow a lot of great choices. I definitely something like this to make the entrance pop more with colour. I'd love to see your teal one sometime if possible. I will give that website a shot too. Again, I'm not good with colours, so it's not so much that i'm stuck with either classic or modern, but more what would look good with the already present colours that I have (the doors, flooring and wall paint)

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Here is a photo of it. I’ll get a better one later.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow what a lovely entrance!!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I just redid my entrance. Changed the table, lamp and moved pictures around. Here is a better shot of the teal rug.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! I really love everything about your entrance. The rug is great and I love the table and the lamp combination too!

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Been on the rug.com site quite a bit. Shoot still can't find something. I want something a bit simple but with a bit of style to it (if that makes sense). Not looking for anything too overthetop or exotic.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

There are a ton of rug sites! You need to just plow through them. Figure out the required size and make sure to enter that in so you reduce the number of options. Do you have any color preferences? That will narrow down the thousands of options that come up.
    Try Overstock, Wayfair, and Etsy too. Rug buying is a marathon, not a sprint.
    I honestly can’t remember where I found the entryway rug. I brought several rugs to this house and have used many from my previous homes. A good rug lasts a long time. I have a stunning staircase runner rug that is a black background, Arts and Crafts style and it’s in the attic. I can’t use it here. 🥲

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Few ya i'm pretty overwhelmed. I really have no idea of what colour to look for that would go for my entrance. I'm wanting colour but I'm not feeling the red at the momemnt. Also design/pattern wise I'm looking for something basic but also kinda unique.....nothing too busy. Maybe i'll look at those curved tables in the meantime.

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

Try Wayfair.com

rberesh73 thanked btydrvn
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

@marylut, can you jump in and provide some help?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

The other way to do this is to pick the artwork over the console table and bring those colors in to the area rug. (?)

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I wonder if a mirror like this would help.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

There are a lot of dark elements in that small area. I would look for a metal or colored frame.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ahh...ok. Hmm back to the drawing board. :)

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Let me see if I can find something I’m envisioning.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Just some ideas:

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

More:

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Last group

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Pinterest.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

More

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Red Ryder! It seems you are favouring the oval shaped mirrors as opposed to the rectangle ones or is it that you like the frames on those ones.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Like the frames. I like either shape for your entryway. Just wanted to show you how fabulous a mirror can be. In the entrance of your house, an exceptional one seems right.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks RedRyer. Yes there are some really exciting choices out there for framing! I'm wondering if I should just get this mirror framed or find a new mirror altogether.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

OP, try to look for entryways that you really like and dissect what is that you like about them. Getting an idea of your overall aesthetic and style would help.

rberesh73 thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Anna. Unfortunately with so many entrances i've googled I get a bit lost. Definitely the contributors here on houzz have definitely helped me to narrow my focus by examining the items that are staying...like the flooring...and giving picture suggestions of what to use.

On a related note, I went frame shopping today for the the mirror.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Yay!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I know you’ve posted about your bathroom as well. Any luck finding mirrors for the entryway too?

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I went back to the framing store today. So many choices. I might take some pics and share here. I'm leaning towards keeping the mirror I have there however I will get it framed. I saw some frames that matched the table....but it seemed kinda blah. I need something a little more to it to make that wall count.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I wondered what people would think about adding black shutters to the exterior of the house.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Leave the exterior as is. Shutters do not go with the house.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

You just can't stop, can you? It's hard to know when to leave it alone but no shutters.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ha, well I'm always looking. I've seen some a few shows and drove around a bit to see how shutters would look. As always though I come here for the advice. No shutters it is! Ha oh well, back to my front entrance it is. .

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

As I leave my main floor (for the time being) to be a jigsaw I was wondering what people might suggest for an upstair floor? My plan is to run it through the hallway and into the main and 2 small bed rooms.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Continuing with what is one of the last exterior upgrades I want to do is my shed. Roof was just done and the shingles match the house. The rest is up for grabs. Any suggestions/ideas. Pics are greatly appreciated.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Were you planning to reside or paint the shed? Or is it more of a pool storage area?

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry about that. I never received a notification that you commented. I"m thinking of residing the paint shed and i'm open to suggestions for color or adding windows etc. It's a rather large shed but at the very back is a pool pump....lots of room up front though

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

One idea that comes to mind is to have white siding with black window trim--kind of as a play on your house with the interior black (?) trim. I like it when the sheds relate to the houses, more important on lots without fencing I guess.

Things to consider:

*White siding may not work if you've noticed dirt tends to splash onto the shed with rain or during the summer pool season.

*Decide if you want the shed to stand out or disappear-

*You can pick your favorite color that makes you smile every time you see it.

*If you want it to disappear, you can use a light sage green, akin to Disney's "disappearing green" that they use for their utilities.

*If you add windows, you may be removing the option for certain storage in the shed. Think about what you keep in there and what you may need to store in the future. [If I had windows in my shed, I would be very limited in my long-handled garden tool storage options since I mount them horizontally.]

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great ideas! I wonder if you see any pics online that you think would be a good template. The shed is pretty big actually in terms of height and length. I realy don't have a lot of stuff in there other than the pumps at the back and some stuff I need to take to the dump. I just thought i have the entire rest of the backyard 'finished' that it would be good to update the shed into something nice for the eyes this summer.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Do a search for black and white sheds to get some ideas. The Mansard roof is pretty unusual for a shed, so I would lean toward something more "sophisticated"; the black and white scheme may be all it takes.

A neatly maintained shed, along with the absence of junk on the front porch and yard, is (in my mind) a pretty good indication of how the owner sees their property. Unfortunately, on my street we have disintegrating sheds and some houses who treat their yards like storage areas.