Gonna be time to build a fire!

glenda_al

Cold front headed and I'm ready. Time to stay home and spend time to enjoy a fire in the fireplace. YES Love love a great warm fire glowing for couple days this week. STAY WARM everyone!

SaveComment32Like8
Comments (32)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
functionthenlook

I love a good wood fire. It is going to be cold enough, but won't have time for one for a couple weeks. We build a fire when our grands are here and roast marshmallows and pop popcorn.

1 Like Save     Thanked by glenda_al
Marilyn_Sue

I no longer heat with wood, but could if had too, so no fire in the wood burning fireplace insert. We are to get snow this morning.

Sue

Save     Thanked by glenda_al
Uptown Gal

I don't have "real fires" anymore, but had my gas fireplace on yesterday,just

for the cozy feeling for awhile. But,

love my furnace more...LOL 22 degrees right now...and that is about normal

for this time of year. Enjoy your fireplace...they are cozy!

hallngarden

Early this morning it was 70 here. I walked with umbrella on beach in the rain . In the morning , will be in front of fire as it will be 30’s. Not sure if it’s age, but I have on three layers of clothes when I walk near the cold ocean when temps drop.

sal 60 Hanzlik

29 here but not going to use fireplace.

functionthenlook

As much as I love the ambiance, sound and smell of a wood fire I miss the convenience of my gas fireplaces my last house had.

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

A couple friends and I cut and split 2 pickup loads of firewood on Saturday. It was all from 2 trees that fell on my property during a bad storm this summer. I gave it all to one of the friends who has a big wood burning stove in his party barn. It still needs to season but he can go ahead and use it now after he gets a good coal base going.

We don't use our fireplace much anymore but I keep half a cord on hand for power outages and outdoor camp fires.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by glenda_al
Yayagal

We have always had a wood stove in both houses and enjoyed them, but this year, we can't use it as I am still coughing after having coronavirus. dr. said to avoid any fireplaces or wood stoves, etc. It will remain in place though.

nicole___

Yayagal....hope you get rid of the cough. Feel better soon! ☺

Glenda....you paint a picture. Sounds wonderful...sitting by a fire.

lindaohnowga

I have an electric fireplace which is pretty to look at, but I sure do love my furnace and little space heater that I can use. Are you having the high winds, Glenda, like we here in GA are having? That cold wind chills the body to the bone. Enjoy your fire.

stacey_mb

We don't have a fireplace at our home in the city, but do have one at our lake house. I just love a wood fireplace, and most often I'm the person who starts it.

Enjoy your toasty fire, Glenda!

Rusty

Sounds wonderful, Glenda! A fireplace with a nice, warm fire glowing, a soft, snuggly easy chair, a cuddly afghan or blanket, a really good book, and a big mug of hot chocolate. The stuff dreams are made of! Enjoy! !

Rusty

chisue

No wood burning or candles for asthmatic me, pretty as they may be. Maybe we should get an electric 'fire' that doesn't pull the central heat up the flue? (I didn't like the gas logs we had in a prior home -- no 'crackle' and isolated behind glass doors to conserve heat.

Mary506

First fire of the season. The temp only got to 34 all day & right now we are getting some snow not much but a lot for TN. We have a Amish wood stove in the garage that heats the whole house. It is as big as a furnace & runs by a thermostat. The bad thing is when it is not cold out the wood just simmers all day & night which is no good for the chimney. Love the cold weather.

joyfulguy

Np fireplace - there's an electric one in the barn, stored for a friend that I doubt that he may reclaim.

My furnace has been going for a month.

I decided that it was time to don the long johns a few days ago - but combining them with a catheter leads to extra work. And the homecare people, whom I visit at their office, say that it's important to drink quite a lot of water.

Oh, well - who ever said that life was an ongoing picnic?

ole joyful

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

lets use 2020 as fuel

3 Likes Save    
Kathsgrdn

We got snow overnight. Was sleeting on my way to work this afternoon and when I drove home. During the 4 hours I was at work it had snowed on top of my car. I need to find my scraper, I took it out last summer for some reason.

Save    
glenda_al

COLD AND WINDY! Off and on snow and sleet, No accumulation

Save    
HU-178658043

I Iike the exercise I get by splitting firewood and the heat I get from a good sized bonfire down by the river. That's also where several friends will gather on Dec 31st to see the last of 2020.

1 Like Save    
Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

Our last home's primary heat source was wood. When I moved in, imagine my surprise when my Sweetie told me our wood was arriving one day. I have never been in such good shape as I was helping to cut split and stack a logging truck load of firewood. Good times 😏!

3 Likes Save    
amylou321

I love a real fire. So cozy. I love them inside in the fireplace or outside in our fire barrel. The dogs love them too.Sometimes, if I have trouble sleeping,I will open youtube on my roku on the TV in the bedroom and play one of those 10 hour videos of a crackling fire burning. I know it's just on a loop, as the wood never actually burns down in those videos, but the sound is cozy to me. Better than the rain or waterfall ones,IMO.

2 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Ladydi - that is quite a stack of wood! Looks like birch. My sister used to burn mostly birch when she lived up near Duluth, MN because birch and pine were about the only trees that grew up there.

I think you need a smaller pair of gloves. ;-p

1 Like Save    
tami_ohio

Enjoy your fire! I would love one, but don't want to suck the heat up the flu. For once, the weather forecasters were correct. They predicted 8-12" of snow! Well, we got it, and are still getting it, and that is after it rained all day yesterday! Still under a winter storm warning. It's 29°f and wind chill makes it feel like 16°, according to my phone. We seldom get as much as predicted, so I really wasn't expecting it!

Amylou, I need to find that channel! You said YouTube, so I will have to go searching. We have cut the "cable" dropping DirectTV, and are using the Fire Stick and over the air antenna.

1 Like Save    
amylou321

Tami, just search "crackling fireplace" on YouTube. Lots and lots of channels do this sort of thing. I sometimes have to watch them for a couple minutes to test run the sounds if you will. Just to make sure they are satisfactorily soothing. 😌

1 Like Save    
hallngarden

Sitting by the fire as I type. Unbelievable , one day wearing shorts; next day with warm cozy clothes sitting by the fire. Ocean breeze is very cold today.

1 Like Save    
tami_ohio

Thanks, Amylou!

Save    
chloebud

Warm here during the day with high 70's. Nights cool down enough to have a fire going. Love it.

1 Like Save    
summersrhythm_z6a

Ladydi, that's a lot of wood! One face cord is about $140 near me. I hope you got a good deal!

Save    
hallngarden

We are still sitting by the fireplace. Think we are going to have cold weather for awhile. We have two fireplaces and keeps whole house warm. We dressed and walked on ocean a bit ago. Think I had on about 15 pounds of clothing. So thankful for the warmth.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I have a gas fireplace with a blower that I use when it is really nasty out. More for the visual comfort it provides rather than heat although it generates more than you'd think. I live in a basement MIL unit so it can be chilly especially as the surrounding area is heavily treed and in mostly shade. But between the furnace and my space heater I stay quite toasty. Thankfully all utilities are included in my rent.

Save    
glenda_al

Don't like to use my fireplace often, as my thermostat is close and it shuts down and causes the back of my condo to get cold. Have to use space heaters in the back when necessary. DO LOVE A FIRE! Just so comforting to watch and hear the crackling of the fire.

Save    
summersrhythm_z6a

We are moving in a house that has 4 fireplaces, 1 gas, 1 electric and 2 wood burning fireplaces. Would love to try the gas fireplace 1st. There are about 3-4 face cords of firewood on the property that previous owners left. But we have to clean the chimneys first before using, that would be a while.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Contractor Tips Building Permits: What to Know About Green Building and Energy Codes
In Part 4 of our series examining the residential permit process, we review typical green building and energy code requirements
Full Story
Outdoor Projects How to Make a Stacked Stone Fire Pit
See how to build a cozy outdoor gathering place for less than $500
Full Story
Materials Back to the Earth: Fired Up Over Terra Cotta
The rustic baked-earth colors and textures of this clay-based material are having their time in the sun
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Sequoia Homes may be new to Michigan, but building is not new to us! Offering innovative designs and floor plans,... Read More