SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20096495

Bone Spur/Plantars Faciatis

User
3 years ago

Anyone have this? Back on August 17th, I stepped outside to go to work. As I looked up at the sky and the most amazing sunrise, I pulled out my cellphone to take a photo of the sky. Our sidewalk leading up to the house was broken so I went to step onto the grass and as I did that, my foot landed on the wrong part of the sidewalk and I started to fall. As I was going down, I was also trying to pull myself back up when I heard a crack. Then another crack. I remember telling my foot "don't break, don't break!" then I allowed myself to fall and landed on the grass on the other side of my sidewalk.

I stood up, took my picture and walked to my vehicle. Then I looked up at the sky behind my house and saw a huge sundog and leaned against my vehicle to take a photo of that. My ankle was a little sore, but I assumed it was because I pulled the muscle and maybe the cracks weren't what I thought I heard.

I ended up leaving work early because I was sore and just wanted to rest my foot. My husband had me go see my doctor as my ankle was swelling. I went for x-rays and sure enough I had a teeny tiny break at the bottom of the ankle bone. She sent me to the ER where I was given an Air Cast. I took a week off work.

Within a couple days of being back at work, my other foot was feeling pain especially under the heel. I contributed that to having more pressure on that foot because my legs were no longer the same length because the sole of the air cast was so thick. When you step on the "good" foot you put more pressure on it. After six weeks of the air cast it was removed. My ankle had not even tried to heel but I figured it didn't hurt so why bother?

The pain in my "good" foot continued and it got worse. I had had it x-rayed while still in the air cast and was told I had a bone spur. I figured it would get better once the air cast was removed. I was wrong. The pain is incredible. I went to see a 100% completely useless foot clinic. Not even sure the guy is even a real doctor: he had no access to Netcare to see my x-rays so I had to show him one on my cell phone I took at my doctors office. He didn't say anything at all. He had his assistant put sports tape on my foot and sent me on my way. The tape fell off the next day: I had put lotion my feet and she didn't clean the foot before applying the tape. You're supposed to do that...

That was in September. I work in a store and am very lucky to have a good management team. They've given me a chair/stool thingie to sit on and I put my bad foot on a lower shelf to keep it off the floor but I still walk up to 8km a day inside the store. I was taking rx strength Aleve and it doesn't alleviate the pain at all. I looked up all sorts of exercises to help stretch the facia and hamstring along with the calf muscle. NO HELP at all. I tried heat and icing. I bought a night splint from Amazon and Leukotape to tape my foot. OMG, the pain! I read it can take a year! I can't do this for 9 more months.

I work in a pharmacy and our pharmacists can write prescriptions for many drugs. I told one I needed something stronger and didn't want to wait to see my doctor. She gave me 9 Torodol pills. Take up to 3 a day with food. I took one as soon as I got home, and another when I went to bed. I woke up yesterday and didn't almost fall over when I stepped out of bed. I had toast and another pill and got to work and was surprised at how well I was walking. I took another pill after lunch around mid afternoon. The difference is like night and day. I decided to stop the stretching and just let my foot rest and just do icing. I'm just sad I only got 3 days worth. They don't recommend more than 5 days of the medication as it can cause gastric internal bleeding. :( So back to Aleve on Monday it'll be.

Now my question: Does anyone else have this, or have you had this and how did you get over the horrible pain? If I didn't have to put all my weight on my foot it wouldn't be so bad, but I still need to work and working retail, standing is a huge part of my job. I used to walk people to the product they are looking for, now I point them in the right direction and hope they see it, but I work in an extremely needy store and you have to draw a map with explicit directions and still hold their hand while doing that... Seriously very needy store... ;) How did you deal with the pain and how long did it last?

Comments (22)