SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Baklava syrup recipe

Lars
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Kevin went to our favorite Middle Eastern market today (I probably should have gone with him), and while he was there, he decided to buy some baklava. When we opened the package, we both noticed that it was extremely dry and had almost no syrup on it. Kevin tried to eat a piece of it and said it was too dry and not at all sweet, and so I told him I would make some syrup for it.

I'm not sure which type of baklava he bought, but I think it is Turkish - the market specializes in Turkish, Syrian, and Lebanese products and has a Halal meat market. Anyway, my first thought was to make a Lebanese syrup to go with it, and so I looked up a recipe in one of my Lebanese cookbooks, which had the following ingredients: 1-3/4 cups sugar, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp orange flower water, and 3/4 cup water. We didn't have any orange flower water, and so I looked for orange flowers in the back yard - none there either. I thought I could substitute hibiscus water instead and so I cut a few hibiscus flowers from the front yard and made a strong tea with them.

Then I decided that I should perhaps make a Greek syrup instead and looked up a recipe in my Greek cookbook, which had the following ingredients: 2-1/4 cups sugar, 2 cups water, 3 - 2-inch strips of lemon peel, 6 whole cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup honey (optional).

I decided to combine the two recipes and used the Greek ingredients, except that I used 1-3/4 cups of sugar (1 cup white, and 3/4 cup coconut sugar) and 3/4 cup hibiscus tea plus 3/4 cup plain water. I used 1/2 stick of Ceylon cinnamon, because it looked very large, and 5 whole cloves.

The Lebanese book said to boil and then simmer the mixture until it reached 220°, and the Greek book said to book said to boil the mixture (without lemon juice or honey) until it reached 224°. I decided to take it all the way to 224°, let it cool, and then I added the lemon juice and a couple of tablespoons of honey, approximately.

I let the mixture cool for a while, and it became very thick - thicker than most honey - and then I strained it and poured it over the baklava.

It tastes pretty good, but I think I should have omitted the hibiscus tea, although I think it did no harm. I think I could have used the whole stick of Ceylon cinnamon also.

How do you make this kind of syrup? I did not even look on line for recipes, since I have Lebanese and Greek cookbooks.

Comments (12)