Ham brands........

ritamay91710

Ok guys, I need help. I have a recipe I want to try that calls for a bone in, spiral sliced half ham. Any opinions on what's a good one? TIA!

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur03

The ones I see here in the stores are regional brands. If you have a honey baked store you might be able to purchase one there. I have found that what one person likes others may not so hard to tell what a good one would be. For flavor I like one that has some fat. Problem with recipes is that when you heat a spiral sliced ham it tends to lose moisture resulting in a dry ham.

Save     Thanked by ritamay91710
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I have been been very pleased with SugarDale hams. I prefer them to Cooks and Smithfield and other grocery store hams. I am not a fan of the Honey baked products, much too expensive for what you get. I love the Boars head ham glaze, it's a little different than the others.

Save    
Lukki Irish

I haven’t tried many of the other brands because Costco’s Kirklands were my usual go to, however, the past couple of years they’ve been extremely salty.

Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

I buy Hillshire.

Save    
ladypat1

Trader Joe's ham is wonderful!

Save    
ci_lantro

I like the Sugar Dale hams, too. But I never buy a spiral sliced one as those are only good if you want to make ham jerky. So much of the juice drains out of the ham when it is spiral sliced and then more leaves when it is warmed up.

To get rid of some of the excess salt, I have been parboiling the whole ham before baking. Not really boiling, just cooking at a low, low simmer (ham submerged in water) for several hours.

You don't have to toss the cooking water after, either. I save it & freeze in milk cartons to use for cooking beans or other soups that will benefit from the flavor.

1 Like Save    
morz8

I've bought Trader Joe's, and Kirklands (Costco) most recently. If having a large number of people buffet style, I might buy a spiral ham but as noted above, its really easy to end up with a dry ham....ask me how I know ;0)

Carving a whole ham can be a pain in the neck, or an imposition. I remember telling my young adult nephew one year, its time you learned to carve so be prepared....He watched a few you tube clips and did come with a plan.

Truthfully - we eat the Kirkland Master Carve half hams year around. Very good, very easy. I have a couple in the freezer and one in the refrigerator now. They do not make a stunning presentation for a holiday table though ;0)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Appliances Considering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
Decorating Guides Top Design Trends From the Winter 2015 Las Vegas Market
Interior designer Shannon Ggem is tracking finishes, motifs and design combinations at the 2015 show
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Natural Meets Industrial in a Canal-Side Washington Home
Wood and steel mix with copious glass in a contemporary new build that seamlessly transitions to the outdoors
Full Story