Houzz Logo Print
vee_new

OT How are Things in These Difficult Times?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are overwhelmed with TV/radio bad news about how Covid is affecting all of us plus the information coming in from the US re the election, plus fresh murmurings of Brexit.

Annpan has mentioned below about more state-borders closures in Australia and I was wondering how things are in your part of the world?

Here in the UK Covid outbreaks are on the increase especially in poorer, more racially diverse often Northern locations and the whole of *England is on a second month-long 'lockdown'. Essential shops are open (food medicines etc) only very small groups of people can meet at home but at least schools and colleges remain open, although often students have been 'blamed' for spreading the virus. Most people reluctantly obey the directives but, as always, there are a few "I demand my rights" characters plus some who just don't give a damn and carry on partying and doing their own thing.

The people who appear to be suffering the most are the elderly in care-homes who are not allowed to have visits from their families and many dementia sufferers etc have become increasingly frail and distressed by the situation.

Please tell us what are the 'rules' in your State, country, area and are they 'working'.

* Scotland Wales and N Ireland have their own regulations

Comments (13)

  • 5 years ago

    COVID is definitely on the upswing in Connecticut and we've rolled back to "phase 2" which means fewer people allowed in restaurants, bars closed, groups limited, etc. I don't know if it's "working" but I do know it can't hurt. Stores are still open and restaurant take-out is booming, so it's not as bad as the first lock down last spring, and at least we know what we're dealing with now.

    I've been doing all the grocery shopping and errand running for my elderly parents since
    February and will continue to do so until there's a vaccine for them (LOTS of
    hopeful developments there, I'm excited to see!) Until that happy day, I figure it's just going to be a miserable winter before it gets better in the spring. Given my step-dad's asthma, we have been much more careful than most, but people are definitely suffering from pandemic fatigue and are out there being careless. I have been sorely tempted to shout at folks at the supermarket who have no idea how a mask should be worn -- Top Tip: if it's under your nose, or worse, under your chin, IT ISN'T WORKING. Thus far I have restrained myself, but as there's always at least one idiot every time I shop, I'm not sure how much longer I can contain myself. Hmmm, perhaps I'll add tempers are short these days?

    Our son is coming home from college next week and we're all going to get tested before Thanksgiving (a fun new family activity in these perilous times). If the stars align, my daughter and her boyfriend will also be able to join us for an immediate-family-only celebration. We will deliver my parent's dinner to their front porch, we will all wave from a safe distance, and then they can Facetime with us later.

    Last year I was urging my Mom to think about some kind of senior living arrangement so they wouldn't be burdened with home and yard upkeep, but after seeing how folks in independent and assisted living communities are locked up, I would never ask her to do that in the future. Several friends have parents they cannot visit, and it's absolutely cruel and heartbreaking.

    vee_new thanked sheri_z6
  • Related Discussions

    OT: Time ...time...where does it go?

    Q

    Comments (8)
    Thank you to the 3 K's :-) Have you noticed that too ?Karen, Kylie and Kristie part of this great beating heart on the Brugs forum. Having had the granddaughter till now helped. Then being here helps even more. So since I do not feel that sad anymore I just NEED to be here so I can feel *at peace* Luzia
    ...See More

    Difficult times.....

    Q

    Comments (30)
    Teresa, I'm so sorry to hear about your father, it's never easy no matter how old they are or how wonderful their life. You and your family will be in my prayers for strength and healing. Congratulations on the new baby in the family and on the house. I've always said that the only way to really clean a house is to move but it appears that having the entire thing repainted might be effective too! All those colors, though! I'd have painted it all white. (grin) Annie
    ...See More

    OT- Loganhogan........how goes things? How is diva?

    Q

    Comments (6)
    Life has been nutty since Oct. I'm sure me turning 40 on the 3rd of Jan didn't contribute to that at all, LOL. Seriously, one of my friends was being sexually harrassed on her job, which was in our church and this led to several people including myself leaving and looking for a new church. I had a tumor removed from my foot the 30th of October and they lied when they say foot surgery is no big deal. Warren's Mother became ill again in Nov and died in Dec. All of the church mess was in January. January also led to more responsibilities at work with no end in sight. Don't get me wrong I'm happy I have a job. Mother has had flu like symptoms most of the Winter. She's having some cyst removed Monday and Warren will take her for me. He's having a Basal Cell Carcinoma removed on the 26th. You know when it rains it poors! Mother will keep the chief DIVA for spring break. There's no telling what they will get into.... This link should take you to 2 pictures, 1 of my friend Lauren and the other of my cousin Hailey in their B'day garb I made them. As always, Cheryl I count on you missing me. You are a great cyber friend. Susan Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures
    ...See More

    OT: How do you pass the time

    Q

    Comments (18)
    Steph- I work from home. Just decided to finally take lunch....it's been a typical Monday! LOL As for great music....how about the theme from Laura? I started watching this last night and will probably finish it tonight. I've seen it lots of times, but I love this movie. Film Noir at its best :) http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqqizl_laura-trailer_shortfilms
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

    Cases in Kentucky are increasing daily by large numbers. It's the same story; some people are being careful, and some people are not. Like Sheri, I'm sometimes tempted to remind them that their rights end where mine begin. The state is ranked No. 33 in a list of 51 that includes Washington, D.C. Our positivity rate today is 9.10%, with under 5% being desirable. KY is mostly a rural state with 120 counties, some quite small from the early days of settlers in small groups not being able to get around easily. (We were the 15th state in the nation.) Ninety of the counties are in the "red zone" and while our numbers may look low to those in more heavily populated states, they seem high to us.

    One older couple in my home county died within an hour of each other. It's just so sad and makes you wonder what will happen with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up and some families determined to celebrate together. This will be the third out of 84 Christmases that I will not be with all my family. I lived away the other two, and that was bad enough. I'm excited about the vaccine news, too.

    vee_new thanked Carolyn Newlen
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Here in South Australia we had not had a case of community transmission since April. However, people who are coming home from overseas have been put into quarantine in hotels, and one of the hotel workers caught Covid from a surface. Unfortunately, she had no symptoms and passed it on to her elderly MIL who did get sick. Thus far we have 24 cases and yesterday the Government announced a six-day hard lockdown, so all shops except pharmacies and supermarkets are closed, they have asked people to stay at home, wear masks when out on essential business. We are hoping to knock this on the head and be OK for Christmas.

    I should add that the overriding feeling seems to be that 'we can do this' and I have heard very little dissent. Although, there were huge lines at supermarkets and bottle shops yesterday.

    vee_new thanked Kath
  • 5 years ago

    No news is good news these days.

  • 5 years ago

    Our governor put out new directives yesterday afternoon to be effective Friday night. Bars and restaurants are completely closed again except for outdoor dining and pick ups or delivery. No home groups of more than one extra family and with a limit of eight people--so there goes Thanksgiving. One of our family's younger generation is setting up a Zoom meeting for us. Makes me glad I will be at my daughter's so I don't have to learn any more technology. I don't suppose there is really any way to force people to do this unless the neighbors turn them in. Schools are to close until after New Year's. Of course, masks are required to enter public places. Office workers are limited in number, and some other stuff I can't think of, probably because I'm retired and live alone so not much affects me personally. He didn't mention churches this time, something he really got a lot of flack about in April.


    vee_new thanked Carolyn Newlen
  • 5 years ago

    I'm happy to say that our restriction period has been shortened to only three days. It seems one of the people who tested positive lied about where he got it from, meaning it wasn't loose in the community as originally thought.


  • 5 years ago

    Kath, I am glad it has changed for you but a lot of people have been inconvenienced by the lie. I felt so sorry for those with wedding plans which had to be altered.

    It made us concerned too in WA and there was talk about us buying masks which we haven't had to worry about previously.

    Vee, what did you do wrong to be temporarily excluded? How did you get back?

    vee_new thanked annpanagain
  • 5 years ago

    Ann and Kath, good for the majority of people in Australia that they are sticking to the advice and getting through this. We have a 'track and trace' system which is meant to send a message to ones' mobile/cell phone if they have been in contact with a 'positive tester' in the community. Only possible if the parties concerned have filled in a short form detailing where they have been (usually in a restaurant/bar) and they have given their real name and phone details. DD who runs a restaurant/bistro says one customer insisted his name was 'George Eliot' which she said was more likely than Mickey Mouse, but when he left had the grace to say he had lied. His friends thought it was funny but . . .

    Of course in some areas people are on the lookout for rule-benders and phone the police at the slightest infringement eg four people talking in a group. On the other hand a small number defy the authorities and hold illegal 'raves' or parties of dozens if not hundreds of guests. One individual has already received two fines of £10000.

    Ann, this thread was obviously considered unsuitable by someone here who reported me to Houzz central control. They didn't agree so let it and me back in.

    Carolyn I meant to add that most office staff are now working from home or may just hit base once a week. And early in the year we had kind neighbours who picked up shopping for us. Getting a supermarket 'slot' for home deliveries is proving very difficult.

  • 5 years ago

    The Governor has now discussed churches but not asked that they be closed. He just said people should use their best judgment and pastors should do their best to abide by health rules. Some are closing; ours is not but since reopening in the summer has removed every other row of seating and asked people to sit with their own "bubble." Hardly anyone wears masks after being seated, and communion is served at the entrance by gloved ushers and consists of a little covered cup like we get for coffee cream in some restaurants. These and two layered and have one peel back cover for the wafer and another for the juice since we don't serve (or presumably drink) wine. All the Catholic churches remain open.

    I haven't tried supermarket home deliveries. They are available but I don't know if that is difficult. You can also request delivery to your car at the markets. I have continued to go to the grocery, and shoppers are wearing masks. There is a sign on the doors that a mask is mandatory, but there isn't anyone there to check. For awhile there were people wiping down the carts, but now there are spray bottles of sanitizer and rolls of paper not perforated for tearing for you to do your own.

    It's a strange life, isn't it? Bring on the vaccine!

  • 5 years ago

    I have a 75 year old friend who has not let this plague daunt her at all. She lives alone and her children are in TX and CO. She has always opted to fly out to visit them regularly through this so that she can see her grandchildren. Today she is flying to CO for T-giving and then on to TX for another visit. She will quarantine herself once she is home. I give her credit. She's buried two husbands and isn't ready to let anyone tell her what she can and cannot do. She makes her choices and stays as safe as she can. Otherwise she lives life.


    vee_new thanked yoyobon_gw
  • 5 years ago

    I'm going to my daughter's house (three blocks away) for Thanksgiving, being served at noon because my grandson has to work in the afternoon. One brother is coming, so there will be five of us, unlike the usual 25 or so. He will take plates of food and dessert to our sister who has compromising conditions. A great-niece is setting up a Zoom meeting for everyone at 1:00 pm.

    vee_new thanked Carolyn Newlen
  • 5 years ago

    Christmas is almost upon us and over here the C 19 'rules' have had to be greatly and suddenly tightened by the Govt. as the outbreaks greatly increase.

    From visiting families/loved ones over the holidays down to one day only; Christmas Day itself. Plus the country, already divided into 'tiers' depending on the severity of the virus has, for the most part, been put into stricter measures.

    This is largely because a stronger, faster-moving strand of Covid has mutated in London and the S E of the country.

    These latest restrictions came into force at midnight and apparently streams of cars were seen heading out of those areas into the less affected parts of the country and many flights suddenly fully booked . . . and now the Dutch have banned all flights into the UK with possibly more countries following their eg.

    Despite this churches remain open with much 'social distancing', also shops. Schools are now closed anyway and may restart back later; everything has become rather chaotic.

    We will spend Christmas in our own little family 'bubble' hopefully staying safe.

    As Carolyn says above "Bring on the vaccine!" . . . or in the case in England continue vaccinating people, health workers and 'oldies' being the first.