SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_309882238

Is something missing here in my living room??

Lucas R
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi! I am decorating my new living room. I got this art print but can't shake the feeling that something is missing. Is the painting too small? Should i do something different behind the couch? Do I need something in between the couch and the console table?

Maybe there is something else on the walls that would bring some life? I have a lamp on the other side of the couch (it is a sectional and the lamp is behind the chase), and I have a few big palm plants that aren't pictured there. Perhaps another plant?

There are a lot of greys and neutrals in there , so was hoping to use this wall as a way to brighten up the space and add some color.

Thank you so much!

Comments (72)

• PRO
    Giz Design Studio LLC
    3 years ago

Looks much more balanced now, by switching the bookcase and mirror/table as LynJen suggested.

• partim
    3 years ago

Not a fan of your shelf, in either location. IMO most shelves that real people show on this site don't look good.

If you have very beautiful decor items that are crying to be displayed, then buy a shelf to display them, and hope that you have an artist's eye for colour and proportion to display them to advantage. That's what the decor magazine items show.

Most people do the opposite - they have an empty space, buy a shelf and then try to fill it up.

I thought your mirror and "hall table" were the right size for the space they were in, and gave the impression of an entryway space.

• Related Discussions

Is there something I'm missing here?

Q

Comments (1)
    There is no valid reason NOT to be able to cut them back now, although a primary reason for planting OG's (at least to my eyes) is for their winter interest. But commercial landscapers and groundskeepers tend to work to a schedule of their own, often dictated by their clients' wishes. Tidiness and the general winter prep and clean-up that occurs at this time of year is probably motivating this action. There was a long discussion of this same situation on this forum last season. Perhaps a search of the archives will turn it up.
    ...See More

Something's missing here-Pictures

Q

Comments (37)
    Tracy! all of my clematis are on the rebound from a hard prune, hoping they will be blooming again when I get back from my vacation ( know this one won't let me down! jackmani in april (aaaah I remember rain, 8 inches in may not a drop in June) unknown clematis (from the scorch and burn rack at lowes) fireworks The two whites (Pope John Paul, and Miss Bateman have both got a few buds now, I hope they will bloom soon! Miss Bateman has been my only real disappointment. I was told this clematis was very prolific bloomer for a large flowered clem! in two years I have had amybe 3 blooms. Y'all make me wish for spring again with those Iris photos! mine are done for the year, but those are truly gorgeaus! Fran Will love to see you, whether you bring Tina or not (would be nice to meet Tina too, but lol, I totally understand how busy life with children can be) Of course the garden may be brown if we have another drought like the last 2 or 3 years! But thats ok, I can still offer some tea or lemonade and a shady seat for chatting! Of course in 3 weeks when I get home from my vacation I could find the whole yard gobbled up by JBs! ha ha ha! no one here to pluck drop and pop! Alana! Heathcliff is a looker! he is really very pretty, strutting around so proud! Have a great day everyone!
    ...See More

What am I missing in my living room?

Q

Comments (18)
    Very nice room. I am curious why you can't use an area rug? I've installed hardwood in our entire home through the years, and have used area rugs immediately. Any wood floor with an area rug is going to wear differently under the carpet (it will look newer than the uncovered sections). It won't really matter that much when you start to include area rugs However, an area rug would go a long way to anchor your furniture, and give the space a warmer feel. Also, the area rug would provide another texture and more color. I had a similar dilemma when we first bought our first home. I had to decide whether I wanted a "LR", or did I want a family room? I chose a LR, and decorated it that way. I had to do away with the existing entertainment center. I did find a different piece that was more in keeping with the look of my LR. If you don't want to use your buffet, would it be possible to find a piece that would accent the other pieces of furniture in the room? Rather than adding a piece, I would just try to put the tv on the buffet piece and components therein. Looks to me that the TV would certainly fit on the top and components easily contained in one of the side storage areas behind the glass doors. You would have alot more wall space and the problem (I had the same issue) of all of the furniture lining the walls in the room, will be less apparent. While I totally understand you're wanting to use the piece in a future DR, for now, it would really streamline your room, by taking out that corner piece. You can put it into a storage situation and bring it out again if/when you move and have a family room. What color have you used on your walls? I know my monitor is off, but to my eye, the right side of the window, reminds me of our LR wall color (SW Blonde). I have used two differing types of window treatment with that color. One matched almost exactly, which I liked as I wanted the window treatment to almost disappear. The other is a new burgandy/gold which I am using only to frame my windows. So, either try to match the paint color, or make it a stark contrast. Either way, extend the rod if you can, if you can't, you can pick up a longer decorative rod and beef up the curtains. We don't have a privacy issue, and I am not sure if you do. So, if you don't, I would remove the blinds for a more open/airy look. I would also pick up some decorative pillows in jewel tones similar to the colors in your artwork. The current sofa pillows seem to disappear being monochromatic. I would love to see some more color on the sofa. JHMO and $.02. Great room, can't wait to see pics of changes if you make any!
    ...See More

What's missing in my living room? Help me put the finishing touch!

Q

Comments (21)
    Someone said: I believe the Houzz experts (and I am NOT one!) suggest the TV be 2/3 the width of the TV cabinet. No no no no no. The TV cabinet needs to be at least 25% wider than the TV. Wider is always better. There is no minimum size for the TV. Do not hang that guitar between the windows. Do not hang anything between the windows. Your curtains are perfect. Hang the guitar on the wall just left of the TV, get some art for over the sofa, and add just a touch more red to echo the arc lamp (which is tres cool, BTW). You've done a great job so far. You've got this.
    ...See More
  • doods
    3 years ago

Wow looks so much better with the bookshelf moved to beside the door, it just seems to balance everything out, and the little alcove looks so much better too. What a great idea Lynjen! Add a little pouf under the table in the alcove, and I can just see you sitting there playing the guitar :) I think you've got it Lucas!

• Lynjen25
    3 years ago

Lookin‘ good!! I agree that swapping the bookshelf with the console table and mirror balances things out. A pouf under the console table like doods suggested would look great. I would add a pillow or two or a throw in a color from the art. As for shelf decor, unfortunately I don’t have a good eye for that. I might try a trailing plant on the right end of top shelf in planter the same color as the new pillows/throw and maybe one other piece on the shelf in that color. I would also try a couple metal pieces to repeat that from the other things in the space. When looking for shelf decor, I would lean toward more substantial pieces in order to ground the bookcase.

Lucas R thanked Lynjen25
  • Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Giz, I agree, I think it definitely looks more balanced.

Petula/ Partim, I see where you are coming from. I do think that decorated the right way the shelf may fit in better, but the current arrangement feels "righter" to me. Yes, right now how it's decorated, it kind of looks like a shelf with a bunch of random things on it. But I think that's adjustable with what I choose to display on there. Part of this of course is that I bought the shelf and want to use it. I definitely don't have an artist's eye for color and proportion, but maybe next time, it'd be better for me to hire a designer before I start buying furniture! I'd be interested to hear what you'd suggest as far as decorating it. Maybe some personal items.

Overall I had a blind eye towards balance, and I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. While the shelf could be decorated more fully overall I am much happier with the result and I did not have to buy/ replace anything.

Doods, thank you, i have a grey pouf and I am going to put it right under the console table!

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lynjen, yes absolutely! I will do that. I love the idea of some colors via pillows and a new throw. I agree that a trailing plant, some matching bronze metal, and some substantial pieces would help to ground the shelf and make it fit in better. I will have to do some thinking and searching and can report back here after some time.

Thank you again Lynjen for the suggestion moving the shelf- such an easy solution and looks so much better! I really appreciate it!!

• Lynjen25
    3 years ago

Hi Lucas, I’m so glad it worked out. An improvement and zero dollars spent is always a win!!

• petula67
    3 years ago

@Lucas R - Don't knock your own design instincts/talents. They're good.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Petula, knew there was some good in there somewhere :)

Deco, i like that idea, I am going to try switching out the planter with the other plant to see what it looks like.

Thank you all!

• pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

Overall I like what you're doing with the room and I like your selections. I do agree with @decoenthusiaste that the room might function better if flipped. With the sofa on the long wall and the TV where the art is, you'd be able to use that nook and your sofa wouldn't seem off-balance with the nook wall. I might even be tempted to try tucking the dining table into the nook. But if it doesn't work due to the wiring and the chaise, that's understandable.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

If you own the property and plan to be there for a long time, it could be worth it to re-run the wiring for a more functional space. If the TV were hung on an articulated arm opposite where it is now, the sofa could sit with its back to the window and you'd still be able to watch TV.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Deco that is interesting. You mean the back of the couch to the window, leaving most of the floor open? I would definitely have more space in that case.

I have this beautiful view out the window, it’s tough to see now with the leaves already having fallen but that tree out the window in the summer is gorgeous and fills the frame of the window perfectly. Would you think the couch would compliment that view, or clash with it? It is dramatic in the summer.

Maybe in that case some accent chairs opposite the sofa? Or perhaps just leave it open. I do own and plan to be here for some time.

• partim
    3 years ago

Don't feel constrained by the wiring of your entertainment. You can plug the cables etc into a device that casts the signal to your TV remotely. Not expensive or complicated.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Try it out and see. You might be surprised!

• partim
    3 years ago

Lower the picture to withing 6-8" of the top of the sofa, and center it between the edge of the sofa and the corner. Center the shelving unit between the edge of the sofa and the edge of the door frame. Your door would look better painted something other than the white of your trim. A dark or medium-dark colour.

Decor items need to be larger and fewer. Most of them should be tall enough to fill about 3/4 of the height of the shelf space. Beware of things like your bright red books which draw the eye and not in a good way. If you want them there, intersperse them with other coloured books. Put things that are visually weightier on the lower shelves. Avoid framed pictures - lacking in 3D interest. Thrift stores are a good place to find things that are interesting shapes. (Kitchen bowls, wicker baskets, offbeat sculptures.) You can paint or spray paint just about anything if it is an interesting shape but the wrong colour or the wrong metal finish. You can buy small sample size cans of paint and disposable foam brushes if you will be doing this in your unit.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Partim!! Wow- what a massive difference when the objects are larger. That looks much better and agree on lowering the picture.

I was thinking - I have a bunch of books, and I figured I’d try to see how they look. I put them up and tried to arrange them in a good way but cant help but think they make the room feel messy and disorganized and take away from the clean vibe.

I think I am going to take them off and try the large objects like you suggest. Those look much better IMO.

Also agreed on lowering the picture and centered the shelf.

Pic below...

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Just read through this string & enjoyed it. Happy to see daylight pics since I was wanting to know what the view was! i don’t think placing sofa back along window would negatively impact view but Lucas said the chaise end of sofa not interchangeable. I think that means the chaise would block the nice console under TV so unless partim’s suggestion of a peripheral device for TV signal is in place, the sofa won’t work lining window. But, what I was waiting for someone to say in discussion about art location is this - the art above the dining table is way too high! Please lower! A larger piece or a collage of pieces would be interesting. Also, I quite liked the smaller console table as an entry table but thought it was on wrong side of the door. It’s a nice place to drop keys, mail etc on the way in & a place to set stuff to remember to take with on way out. Can it fit on the other side of entry door in the spot where wall is inset? It looks narrow enough to not block hallway or kitchen access. If yes, then you have an empty space in that nook which you can put a desk or chair to sit on while playing guitar, Or, maybe you have a furry companion that matches the size of that bed on floor? It becomes a doggy hideaway!😁

• Sebago Gal
    3 years ago

Lucas I love how flexible you are!!!! With the help of the Houzz community you'll love how you end up deciding what works best!!!

• Juli
    3 years ago

Lucas R

Thank you for the art link!! I appreciate it. I really like your arrangement now, but want to add my thoughts for a suggestion.

When I look at your room from the kitchen (your photo) I want to take my dinner plate and walk behind, there's a walkway behind the sofa now;) and go to the table that's now in the alcove. What a cozy place to have dinner by candlelight, any time, any meal, and watch the seasons out the window view, and get another view perspective of the rest of the apartment, too. It gets you away from the kitchen to an unhurried spot that makes full use of the alcove. Thinking outside the box, that dining always has to be adjacent to a kitchen-not necessary. Just have to see if the sectional is still comfortable distance for TV viewing and you're walkway doesn't have to be very wide (breaking another design rule:)

I don't think you need the console and mirror in the room anywhere. The console is a bit too small in scale, would probably be better for bathroom or bedroom and I wouldn't have a mirror in the room unless it is reflecting the views from the window.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

You might want to put the shelf where I originally suggested, just past the shallow bump-out where the light switch is across from the island. It looks pretty slim, so it shouldn't take up too much of a footprint and that will open the wall for your sofa and the three pieces of art you have coming. The sofa either needs to float in front of the window (a good winter spot when the trees are bare) or it needs to settle on a wall rather than overhang a void like the alcove.

• partim
    3 years ago

Pull the books forward so they're closer to the front edge of the shelf, or even lined up with the edge. See how they look either way. Don't put small items in front of the books.

You can also raise some of the smaller items by putting books underneath. Try different combinations of size and colour of books.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for all the great suggestions!!

@KW PNW Z8, I totally agree that the art is too high over the kitchen table. It's a recurring theme...likely because I'm pretty tall! I will be hanging it lower. Actually, I may take that piece and put it in the bathroom or another room, since I also think it may be too small to really have an impact there. I thought that originally when I bought it so I'm glad you confirmed it for me. So, I think I'll end up putting a larger piece there. I also love the idea of making the cove functional. To give it a shot, I took the console and put it on the opposite side of the entryway door like you suggested. I don't think there's enough room unfortunately and I think it obstructs the hallway too much for me. Too bad, because I do like the functional use of an entryway table. However, even though it's not as functional as if it were by the door, I do love the console table and mirror where it is- though I will likely replace the palm with the snake plant. Check out the pic below to see what I mean.

@Sebago Gal, totally....trust me, with this project taking way longer than anticipated and having made a lot of progress this weekend I feel very lucky to have had so much support already!! Thank you!!

@Juli I do like the idea of putting the table in the alcove but I don't think it would work with the couch/ TV setup as it is. The TV is pretty large at 65in and I think if the couch were closer to the TV it may be too close. Now, if i went radical and rewired/ restructured the room so that the back of the couch is against the window and the TV on an articulated arm as @decoenthusiaste had suggested, I think that would be awesome, and a great use of the little space back there. Eating while watching the seasons change in a private area away from where the cooking is done does sound really great.

@decoenthusiaste Yes a little more wall would be...ideal. I'm kicking myself because there is a narrower version of this bookcase (I got it on Article) but I originally got it to "fill" the alcove without realizing that it would look off back there on its own. That would work really well but alas I do think although it's a little wide it does work where it is as long as it's centered as @partim suggested. Depending on how crowded it looks, I may only use two of the three prints I bought and put the third somewhere else. Just to see how far the bookcase would protrude across the island, I measured it (the depth of the bottom shelf is 16in). It definitely comes out too far unfortunately. Check out the pic below with the measuring tape, that's how far out it will go.

Also, I left a few of the books on but took most off almost right away. It's funny how much of a difference that makes and how "less cluttered" the space feels when the shelf is relatively clean. It keeps the space feeling clean, modern and... organized? I'm going to look for some big pieces like @partim suggested and maybe a trailing plant/ bronze sculptures like @Lynjen25 mentioned. See pic below.

🙂🙂

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Lucas, thanks for giving my idea on entry table a shot. Too bad it sticks out too far. This next is sort of off the wall or ” outside the box” but any chance console table might work set against kitchen island side facing the entry door? Its iron legs seem compatible with your counter stools. I don’t have any measurements for anything so maybe won’t fit but thought I’d throw it out there. I like to repurpose things or find different ways to use them. It would be a place to set things when coming in front door & not clutter up the counter. You could place the white bottle piece on the shelf unit on other side of door!. I think I’m really wanting a dedicated specific use for that nice alcove! Funny about your picture hanging challenges! Eye level is relative, yes? ☺️

• Nancy Walton
    3 years ago

That alcove would make a nice home office...

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I love how you're function focused @KW PNW Z8 ! That may work because there's a little area under the island counter where I can nudge it. Maybe i should do that once i have an idea for the alcove!

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes @Nancy Walton that was originally the plan..however I have my second bedroom dedicated to a home office and reading room. I did like the dining table idea however I'd have to move the couch/ rewire/remount the tv which while not super difficult sounds like a weekend project to me.

• doods
    3 years ago

I like your shelf relatively "clean" too, the color of the wood is beautiful.

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

Haven't read entire thread, but my first impression upon seeing your pictures of the room was that the room would work much better with the sofa either on opposite wall or its back to the windows. If it were me, I'd have it in front of the window wall, with the tv on an arm that can be adjusted, on the wall opposite where it is now. The sofa's placement halfway in front of a nook that is set back seems an odd choice to me.

I also think I'd pull the dining table out from the wall and float it a bit, and perhaps replace it with a round table, and add a hanging lamp over it.

The wooden shelving unit is pretty but I'm not sure it really works with everything else. It stands out to me as a totally different style from your other pieces.

What design style would you say is your favorite?

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

I would lower your painting over the couch and then center it to the edge of the couch and the end of the wall. I personally prefer the shelf-unit with more books and items. However, whatever you do I would balance the items on it. In the images with so few items on it, it looks very out of sorts and unintentional.

If you like the minimal look, I would look up "minimal shelf styling" to get some ideas because balance is key!

Hope this helps!

• Nancy Walton
    3 years ago

The problem with putting the sofa backed up to the window is the problem of glare on the television, even with the articulated arm.

• doods
    3 years ago

and you don't get to see outside

• partim
    3 years ago

The advantage of the sofa backed up the window is that when you are sitting and reading, the light comes over your shoulder and lights up your reading material. Also if you lie on your sofa you can look up at the sky. And sometimes the nicest view is not the lower part of the window.

Depends on your view and how you use the room and sofa.

• Nick Lord
    3 years ago

I'm enjoying this thread . All i can chip in with is that I think that the pictures are best moved in a bit , to allow a 'broader stripe on the right hand side . I like the zoning in the fact that the focal point is the large window ... I find the latter zoning of the nook , maybe another small rug down there ...the book shelf seems two stories to high to me but does terrific when loaded up ..and the consul then moved halfway along your hallway with aromatic flowers and ornament of a bear cub ( although see vishnu) , bowl for keys and wary of displaying in threes...thinking the mirror on that side just to the right of the consul , or centered, inbetween there and door with coat hook space ... You mention chairs so maybe a tub chair ... ... I'm in the process of sorting out my smaller space so loving the comments and learning ....oh and I myself have placed a large artwork leaning by a tall fig plant which I bought for airation. Good luck , it looks a lovely home and thank you for sharing :)

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

Oh, and where did you find that great bookshelf unit?

• Nick Lord
    3 years ago

It might be well be for sale soon - lol :). Although it does good when loaded up and placed to the left of the sofa as said in a comment .

• User
    3 years ago

it's lovely! if these recent adjustments still seem off to you, I'd take a step back. new spaces can be jarring and you might just need time to get used to it. or after some time has passed, you might come up with other ideas. the last few photos you posted look really good to me. enjoy your new home!

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

I agree with whoever said the bookshelf needs to be filled rather than nearly empty. Yes, do it artistically, with plants, small sculptures, and framed artwork as well as books both horizontal and vertical, but such a large shelving unit with barely anything on it just doesn't make sense. I can't stand when pieces are bought and then used in an impractical way.

• ashtonchic
    3 years ago

IMO the sectional hanging out into the nook entry throws the whole room off. Have you tried it floating facing the windows? You can then put a console table behind sectional. If that doesn't work put sectional on long wall. A regular sofa would have been much better in the space. Bookcases etc. can be rearranged or gotten rid of when you figure layout of sectional.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi all,

Thank you for all the excellent suggestions and sorry for the silence this past week. Hectic week at work and unfortunately getting this room right needs to be left to the weekends!

So I made some big changes based on the feedback here and I am curious to see what you all think. I have to say that I'm very pleased. Just a few things to note- please don't mind where the TV and pictures are hung as they will be getting moved around soon. The bookshelf is also in need of being filled up as @partim and @User suggested. By the way @User- I got the bookshelf at Article.com , and they have a narrower version as well!

Overall, I think there were a few things in the room that was giving me that jarring, "something is off" feeling. The biggest, as @thriftyboho, @ashtonchic , @partim and several others mentioned was the placement of the sectional. The placement of the sectional in front of the nook was in fact throwing off the whole room. The second issue was the utilization of the nook. While I believe that the console table there looked great, I am after all living in a condo with limited space, and to not make good use of that space felt wrong. It was almost like I was treating it like an afterthought. Big thanks to @KW PNW Z8 who made me think about functionality and how I could actually use that little nook. I

So, I moved the couch to the opposite wall. I did actually try it in front of the window- which looked much better than I thought it would- but ultimately decided against it as I couldn't figure out how I'd mount my home theater speakers. Besides, blocking the window wasn't my favorite. I put the media console where the couch was, and moved the dining table/ chairs to the nook to make use of that area. I put the console table and mirror back in it's original place next to the entryway door, which does not look so insubstantial now since the room is overall much more balanced IMO. I put the bookshelf where the dining table was, which actually worked well since there is kind of a cutout area where the fridge sticks out- so it doesn't seem so deep for the room. I think the shelf looks better here (and will be much better once filled up) but curious to hear thoughts.

Also, I received my three new art prints I posted above, however have to get them reprinted as they cut them the wrong size.

Regardless, thank you EVERYONE for the suggestions. I think it is much better now.

I would love to hear if there's anything else you think I could do to make it look better!

(the picture and TV will be moved!!)

Thank you everyone for helping me understand what was wrong here!

• Nancy Walton
    3 years ago

Much better, Lucas.When you move the TV, don't hang it quite so high.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes will do- thank you @Nancy Walton!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

I agree. Mirror to entry? Art in nook.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Wow, Lucas, what an amazing difference! Your home looks so inviting and functional - the perfect combo! I do love the dining alcove and I predict you will find yourself using It for much more than dining with its location next to that spectacular window wall. Hang some art on those walls and it’s perfection!

Thank you Lucas, for inviting us into your home and considering all of the varied advice and opinions and being so gracious about showing us what worked and especially for sharing your adjustments you made based on the advice. The ”before and after” pics are so much fun to see. Your organized and analytical thought process has made for great reading to follow on this thread.

Cheers!

• Sebago Gal
    3 years ago

Lucas it look just fabulous! It was fun watching the process and I loved how open you were to peoples advise. It takes a village. I wish you joy and good health in your home! Happy Thanksgiving!

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you both!! Have a great thanksgiving!!

• ashtonchic
    3 years ago

Looks so much better! Is there lighting in the nook where you have the dining table? You might want a floor lamp on a dimmer in there. Good job on your new layout...

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great idea Ashton. I may replace the plant with a floor lamp!

• Lynjen25
    3 years ago

Lucas, wow - what a difference moving the sofa and the dining table makes! Great flow and really awesome spot for enjoying your meals. I really love that the alcove area now has a functional purpose, it all makes sense.

• PRO
    Avaulte
    3 years ago

If you"re looking for any new art in a variety of sizes and styles check out our talented artists at avaulte.com and let us know what you think!

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

Good job, Lucas.

I think I'd take that tall plant out of the nook so that there is equal room around table to sit. I also suggest getting a fabulous large piece of art (big colorful, dramatic vintage poster, maybe?) for that wall above table facing the room, taller chairs, and a hanging lamp there.

The changes have made your room look larger and yet cozier at the same time!