SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_965516965

Our Wonky House - Any Ideas For The Exterior?

Kate Hip
3 years ago

We have a wonky house....

While the shape is actually the biggest source of wonkiness, the siding and other features are easier to change than the shape.

Siding: The house was tan when we bought it. The blue came about as part of a patch job we did in a hurry. In isolation, we love the blue! But, we don't want the whole house to be this blue - too dark. On it's own, the tan was... fine? Boring and blah, but fine. The combination is weird. We figured it would be, but decided we'd rather use a color we like for the patches and go from there, than try to match to a color we don't like. So, now what? Maybe, the tan siding just needs to be a different color? Grey? Lighter blue? Will that look cold and uninviting in the winter snow? What about a cream? Maybe, we need a little more of the same blue somewhere? Maybe, this funky shaped house needs something unconventional? The sides are where you see the wonky shape of the house most. Can we make changes to the siding that either downplay the shape or, even better, make the shape more of a feature? Is that possible or should I just plant a bunch of trees and tall bushes in line with the front of the house to hide the weird shape?

Trim: It's hard to tell since these photos were taken in the golden hour, but the trim is all white. We'll probably keep it all white. Should we paint the cement white or another color? Or, can we leave it alone? Should we add any embellishments to the trim?

Accents: We're going black with accents, including the front door, the shutters, and the light fixtures. We know these shutters aren't actually right for these windows, but most houses in the area have the exact same shutters. We don't want too much black, but where are other places we could use it?

Fence: We will eventuallyreplace the chain-link fence with white vinyl panels, which are the common fence in our neighborhood. When we replace the fence, should we extend it to the front of the house?

Deck and Porch: We'll eventually refinish the deck and redo the front porch. We may also add a pergola style roof on the back deck at the same pitch as the back roof to give some balance to the house shape overall, but that's down the road. Any thoughts on color for the deck and porch? I'd love to get a natural wood color in the mix, but I'm not sure if that will work or what tone to go with.

Landscape: We purchased the house recently and, though the previous owner took loving care of the yard, the house was empty for awhile between owners. This year, we're renovating the inside. Landscaping is next year's focus. I've already planted two lilacs, three native blueberry bushes, and two native magnolias in the yard. Planning on adding a wildflower/pollinator garden to the front yard next year. If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them!

The Overall Question: Any ideas on how to make this house less wonky?

Comments (8)