SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny_kessler71

basement ceiling insulation

3 years ago

Our 1850 house has minimal insulation. Some of it is over inaccessible crawlspace, but we also have a large shed/unfinished basement area right under our living room that we can access. We can feel cold air from there blowing right into the living room - that area is freezing. We considered spray foam but don't want to use it. I want to insulate the basement ceiling/living room floor with either batts or rigid foam. Do I really need to staple poly onto the floor side (before batts?), cause that seems like a pain. I was thinking either using foam (vapor barrier, but expensive), or rockwool with the poly stapled under it, OR, the poly on the floor (but worried it will tear). Our joists are 26" so no matter what this is gonna be a hassle and imperfect. But I think something will definitely be much better than nothing. We don't want to do the walls because I know the space will still be freezign if we do that (in Vermont). Also considering denim or sheeps wool, but want to start this like tmw and don't have time to wait for those to ship. (I know the 2nd pic has a barrier, but much of shed doesn't).

Comments (7)