SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_719453861

Is this drainage setup as abnormal as I think it is?

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm working on correcting an apparent issue of water seeping through the concrete wall in my basement. The previous owner covered over it with drylok, but efflorescence appears to be behind it, meaning water issues still remained.

I began digging away at the foundation this weekend to install a french drain, as I assumed water from the hill behind my house was just gathering there & leeching in.

However, I noticed something odd. The corrugated pipe from the downspout was actually routed uphill, rather than downhill. I dug away the dirt above it & discovered it's actually just draining into what appears to be a void with rocks. It's not a large void, roughly basketball sized & it's not connected to anything. Just surrounded by dirt.

Now, I'm not a Civil Engineer.... But this isn't normal, right? That should have actually been routed somewhere either downhill or to a sump pump to get rid of it? From what I can tell after pulling away the rocks in that area, it's basically just a spot for the water to collect then slowly make its way to the foundation as ground water.

Am I missing something here? Or could I just connect that to some close-by drainage I already have in place that drains further downhill away from the house to correct what (I think) was just laziness on the part of the builder?

Comments (3)