SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_859828699

Light switch suddenly won't work

Mark
3 years ago

Hello,

In an old bathroom of mine, the ceiling light suddenly stopped working. I replaced the bulbs and then the light fixture with a new one that was a spare I had sitting around. That did not fix it. I had already checked with my multi meter that it was receiving power. The voltage detector shows it is receiving power. It properly lights up when next to the hot wires. Putting it next to the red traveler wire, it turns off. If I turn the switch on, the red traveler wire indicates voltage with the detector. Also the neutral wire on the ceiling fixture will show voltage if the switch is on. It's off if the switch is off.

Literally nothing changed in the environment in months. A couple days ago, the light stopped working. The switch next to it runs the ceiling vent/fan just fine. The plugs in the room are just fine and show wired properly with a receptacle tester.

I can't seem to figure out how it stopped working and why everything seems normal.

Here is a picture of the wiring of the switch on the wall. (The box for the light fixture in the ceiling has just 1 pair of hot and neutral) I did notice one of the traveler wires is looped around a screw. That has always been there. I did replace this switch after this picture, wiring it exactly the same, just to make sure.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this might be? Thanks!

Comments (4)