SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Kitchen refresh and other things that don't matter : )

mtnrdredux_gw
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have been in our house 10 years now, so I am doing a number of refresh projects. Since we may be sellers in the next few years, my choices are with an eye toward resale.

I love my kitchen, but I think it is 1)too dark and 2)has too many different woods. Our wooden countertop needs refinishing from dings to the wood where it meets the sink, so I am having that done right now. It is 1.5" hand hewn cherry, in a dark finish. I have told them to make the wood counters as light as possible and then use marine varnish.

Even so, I then have 2 runs of (light) cherry counter, a tiger oak fridge, a white oak island, and a wide plank pine floor. There are just too many different woods, I now realize (only took 10 years for this to occur to me). I am thinking I should paint my oak island, thus reducing the number of competing wood colors and grains.

I'd like your input. The marble topped island is the one I am thinking about. Would you 1)keep it stained or 2)paint it? If I paint it, what color? Keep in mind my house is a really wild kaleidoscope of whites, creams, and whitish cream colors. ; ) I could use a color I have in my pantry, Revere Pewter, or DR, Hampshire Gray, or my new front door, Matisse Blue, or anything at all I suppose.

Pics to follow

Comments (73)