SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petula67

Help save me from buying a loveseat or a chair & 1/2!

petula67
3 years ago

Here's our furniture dilemma: Our living room needs a new seating piece intended for one person, but we're looking for something a bit wider than a typical chair. Like a loveseat or chair-and-a-half. There. I've admitted it. But I'm not sure if my reasoning sound or flawed.

Here's some background:

The primary occupant of the new "chair" will be an average-sized adult male specimen whose primary activity when seated will be watching a monster TV.

Behind the new chair, we'd like to place a writing desk, about 42-48" wide, to function as a sofa table/workspace/breakfast-table-for-one. We're wondering if the desk would look goofy if it's wider than the chair it's up against. Thus the idea of a loveseat or a chair-and-a-half.

Our living room is longish, narrow, and tall. It's separated from the kitchen by a large empty space with multiple entryways/walkways. That empty space is probably meant to have an actual small breakfast table, but that setup doesn't really work for us.

We've tried a few hundred iterations of furniture arrangement to minimize the airplane hangar feeling in the living room, and think we're getting closer with our current idea.

A mockup-of the room w/dimensions is below, along with an aerial view of the actual space. Playing the role of "loveseat" in the photo is an arm from the sectional from our last house. The round table behind it is substituting for the proposed writing desk. We're thinking about adding another small chair near the window (shown in mock-up), but don't have one in the photo.

Feedback on our chair&desk idea or other suggestions would be great.

A few disclaimers: (1) I've left out a ton of details, but wanted to keep this short to start. (2) We've already ruled out several arrangements because of our odd preferences and quirks (e.g. the choice of TV wall is probably not negotiable, and we hate blocking the picture window with furniture). I know that can be annoying in these threads, so want to apologize in advance if we seem dismissive of good ideas. (3) I'm not currently in the house, so won't be able to rearrange in real time. But I do have some photos of our earlier attempts, which I'll post if needed.

Thanks for any comments!

Family room · More Info

Family room · More Info

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths